Books "the secret" and "the power"

@CatGods (4595)
Now I have not read these two books from cover to cover, but I have given the books a good looking over. In the first book "the Secret" the book talks about the law of attraction. The old sayings "you are what you eat" and "you are what you think" psychology. The book states this: if you think negative things therefore you will do negative things and attract more negative things/situations in your life. The same is said for the positive. Like attracts like. In the book "the power" the author is saying that love is the key to every thing, i.e. happiness, money, good life and so on. The author goes on to say that the negativity that is happing in your life is due to what you are putting out. So if you want a better life, you had better start being more positive in your thoughts, words, actions and deeds. I think this is nothing more than a blanket statement mixed with allot of hype. For example lets take a 3 year old who has alcoholic parents who neglect the child. Is this child putting out negative energy. thoughts or deeds to warrant such behavior from the parents? No. This child has done nothing wrong. But remember your actions are the cause of your negative situation, so say the books. Ok so lets look at an adult. You have a couple who have been seeing each other for say 2 years. This whole time they are good to each other. Then they decide to get married. After being married for a short time (a few months) the husband becomes demanding, controlling, and some what abusive. He makes a statement some thing like, you are my wife now, you have my name, you belong to me. The wife before and after the marriage has always been kind, compassionate, caring, and loving. So what did she do to warrant this kind of behavior/treatment from the husband? According to the books "the secret" and "the power" it was her negativeness that caused him to treat her this way. According to the books, you get what you give. But wait a minute, she was giving positive and receiving negative. These 2 very real life worldly examples are why I think the books are some what full of sh!t. But the author has made a boat load of cash only because people have bought it hook, line, and sinker.
@NoWayRo (1062)
Oh, but positive thinking is such a great thing, it's the reason why sheep are so happy. Assuming sheep are happy, which I'm not sure can be proven. They should also be healthy, if they are what they eat - what can be healthier than eating only raw grass? I haven't read the books, thanks for the warning, I'll stay away from them.
@CatGods (4595)
Thank you for such a good laugh before I head off to sleepy-do-land. I took the books out from the local library because I wanted to see what all the commotion was all about. I paged through the books and said yeah ok, whatever. I can't believe that she (author) has sold over 4 million copies of the first book in 46 different languages. She's got quite a nice racket going on selling hope and promises. Maybe I'll start selling absolutions and indulgences...LOL Hey that worked for the Catholic church back in the day.
LOL. Did you know that the founder of Scientology was a science fiction writer? And before he founded Scientology, a reporter asked him about book sales. His answer was "I don't write to become rich; if I wanted to be rich I'd start a religion." This quote was printed in the daily newspaper, and heard/read by many people, yet there are people who believe in the religion he started anyway. Some people will believe anything.
@CatGods (4595)
@RebeccaScarlett, Yes I heard that L. Ron. Hubbard was a science fiction writer at one time. I bet he is making a REAL BIG boat load of cash now being that churches are tax exempt. A vast majority believing the pie in the sky hype? Oh yeah, they are every where.......baaah.....baaah. The author of the "secret" and the "power" was a t.v producer in Australia. Her name is Rhonda Byrne and she seems to be pretty big/well known in the Australian media industry. Moral of this story: If you want to have a cash cow and make a boat load of money, then learn to be a Sheppard over a flock of sheep. Yes I have a dark sense of humor.
I actually tend to think that positive thinking is a very important thing to have in our lives. Right now our family is going through a very difficult time financially, but I am not letting it get me down. I know that we are going to have better times in the future and instead of dwelling in the hardships that we are facing right now, I am instead thinking about the fact that we are going to get through this and then there will be nothing that will be able to stop us.
@CatGods (4595)
You have been around for a long time here on mylot and I know that you are a fighter and that you do not give up easily.
@reckon21 (3487)
As a matter of fact I loved reading the book about Secret, or what they call the Law of attraction. Actually everything that is written there does make sense. Sorry if I go againts your opinion but maybe there is just lines in there that you have difficulty understanding but maybe I could be the wrong one here. Just for the sake of arguments, I think it's definitely a good and awesome book to read. It's really hard to maintain positive atmosphere around you when everything is falling apart. But one thing is true if you feel negative then you will also attract negative vibes as well. It's proven over and over again.
@CatGods (4595)
Nope there is nothing in that book that is confusing to me. Yeah I thought the book was amusing, it made me laugh. I've always known that I am the creator of my own destiny and that I can have any thing that I want. I also know that it's not the destination so much, but rather how much fun you have getting there. And this is NOT directed at you or any one who likes the books, but after looking at the books and seeing how much it has sold and all the different languages it has sold in, I said to myself....WOW....I guess the world really is that screwed up. Because logically if the world really wasn't that screwed up, people wouldn't be blind faith buying the books. By the way there was a band called Blind Faith. They had a few good tunes. Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, and Steve Winwood all came from that band.
@rameshchow (5284)
Book reading is my hobby. From my childwood if i found any latest i never leave it. But now we all busy in this fast world. We all are habitured to internet only. And ofcourse till now also i usually read the novels. Especially i like to read the novels of "yendamoori veerendranath".
I have to read the books what you mentioned above. have a nice day.
@CatGods (4595)
I like to read also, but only if it is an interesting book. The books that this discussion is about.....well I like what poster number 1 has said.
@PoppaDave (438)
I think Like attracts like when there is strong will ... often it is hocus -pocus, like you say. I guess he made alot of cash with that book though, because I have a copy on my shelf, though I have never fully read it. I guess it all depends on something I am still unsure of. I think it it true to an extent, but beyond willing participants, there is usually luck involved.
Maybe mine is different than yours, it is called "The Law of Attraction". It is just one book.
@murtaza45 (173)
are you matter secret matter not share my friends.you me the result not my perfect book read daily not uses me.my secret not my family about dicussion not me.so i share myself secret to book for many type book read library give my dicussion the book not share to my otherside.so i read silent student the place to another think my to best silent newpaper to my room.i am not read many big home.
@CatGods (4595)
I understand that English is not your primary language. Perhaps this is why I have such a hard time trying to understand what you are trying to say. You reply is very confusing because of the language barrier. I have read your reply many times and I still have no clue as to what you are saying. But thanks for trying.
Greetings! Yes. I have read the book "The Secret" and I was really amazed how powerful our mind is. Before I was a negative thinker but now, I'm optimistic because I know there's always a way and that nothing is impossible. We, people are just aren't aware of our thought but it happens. "You become what you think!". I've also read that law of attraction. Whatever we think, it is send up in the universe and the universe returns it back so if we send negative thoughts, the result would also be negative but if its positive, the result would be positive also. Here's another thing I can't forget when I read that book. Whatever material things that you like, you must picture it that you already have it. Just think positive that it would be yours. Like in a store or at malls, you see a really beautiful dress, assume it that it yours and it would be yours. Also don't say that you can't. Always say, "I can". The most important thing that I got there is to "FEEL GOOD" because if you feel good, you have a positive outlook and of course, positive things would happen. JUST believe in the power and every thing and any thing could happen. Happy mylotting! :)
@CatGods (4595)
1) you are missing the point, so re-read the scenario about the wife in this discussion. 2) I still like poster number 1's response, how true it is. 3) if I start thinking that people are sheep, will they become sheep???....LOL
I have read the two books, but contrary to your findings, I found them helpful in the sense that they both enhanced my positive thinking. I do respect your opinion about the books, but to each his own I guess. These books are bestsellers and they have been translated to a number of languages already. They must have helped a lot of people into looking at the bright side of things.
@CatGods (4595)
I like poster number 1's response.
@Suebee (2013)
I have read both The Secret and The Power. While they are a good introduction to the law of attraction, there are much better books out there on the subject that explain it in much more detail. I do believe in the law of attraction, however tend to agree with you that Rhonda Byrne is milking it for all she can with these books. They barely scratch the surface. The law of attraction goes soooo much deeper than either of these books explains. Now I see she has another book out called The Magic. I think I'll skip that one as I have already read more detailed books on the subject and don't really want to spend money on another one of her superficial, money-making books. She has certainly learned to use the law of attraction to her advantage.
@eyalw321 (28)
• Israel
it's iteresting to I heard about the "secret book" is an excellent book and there is also "secret movie"