How to get through the winter blues

@savypat (20246)
It may not make sense to you but much of the depression or even just lack of energy is due to lack of Sunlight. If you are feeling low on these dark, grey days your can buy a full spectrum light bulb that may give you that extra boost to shake the blues. It's cheaper then therapy.
@greenline (14864)
Yes, I agree with you. Lack of light certainly is very very depressing. This winter has been extremely depressing, heavy snow, freezing temperatures, icy roads, dark and gloomy. People just get stuck indoors, watching TV, reading books, playing online games. I wish I have the chance to travel south, to warmer and brighter places !
@Lore2009 (7389)
I've heard of this light thing before. I heard it works. I get gloomy as the weather does too, but it rarely gets gloomy where I live, especially nowadays. We're in the 80's today, feels like summer!
It's really hard to get up in the morning these days especially if the cold is kicking in. What I do when I'm taking a bath in the morning is I heat myself water. Feels great when you have to take a bath early in the morning. Although I've only done it once due to lack of time.
I think this is one reason I enjoy having houseplants. It helpe to be able to see green growing things. I also make sure I have extra light for the plants and I benefit as well, and the oxygen they expel as they "breathe" makes me feel better. I have read about the full spectrum light, and I have also read that plant lights have similar benefit. I guess the best thing to remember is that it is certainly not going to hurt to get more light. I wish all ailments had this simple a remedy.
@dragon54u (31636)
Good advice! People also don't get enough vitamin D this time of year, which is very important to our bodies and is provided by sunshine, among other things. Taking extra D will make one feel better, too. When I went to the doc last month she said I was down to almost nothing in vitamin D so I'm on a once-a-week mega D vitamin. D also helps keep your heart healthy!
@paula27661 (15899)
You’ve made a great point Pat! I suffer from the ‘winter blues’ and I have to agree that any light helps tremendously. It must be about the lack of Vitamin D. One of your responders suggested Vitamin D tablets and I think that would definitely be worth trying…
I was discussing sleep issues in another thread and I decided to search for seasonal affective disorder ("SAD") to see if anyone was discussing it... your discussion came up, savypat, and it's very timely for me. I've been really lethargic lately (not at all like me). Even though I sleep at night, I can't wake up in the morning and then, when I am awake, I'm always tired and can fall asleep again if I sit down for more than a few minutes. I hate the feeling of being so drained, especially when (like everyone else), I have a list as long as my arm of things I need to be doing. I'm going to look into the light bulb you mention because I know light therapy is part of the treatment for SAD... not that I know I have it or anything but I absolutely have most of the symptoms I've read about this morning.