Scanning old photos

@SViswan (12071)
I've re-connected with a lot of my old friends on Facebook....people I thought I would never get in touch with. Family friends who I had grown out with, classmates who I lost contact with during the Gulf invasion, friends who moved to other countries when I was in high school, etc. I'm so glad to be getting in touch with them. My dad has always taken photos of every occassion and he has preserved all of them...neatly in albums. Most of the people I've re-connected with don't have many photos...but they have their memories,I guess. Everyone knows of my father's obsession with collecting photos. So, they keep asking me if I have the pictures of 'old times'. Since the advent of the digital camera, it's easier to share photos. I upload to the computer and keep them in different labelled folders. But the old photos need to be scanned. Well, that's what I am going to do...slowly...and hopefully will get done with all of them by the end of this year...lol So,do you plan to scan your old photographs and put them online...or keep them in a digital format so that it's easier to share with friends and family?
@p1kef1sh (45640)
A couple of years ago I decided to scan my grandfather's photo album which began with his honeymoon in 1922. I spent hours scanning in the black and white and sepia photos onto my hard disk. I hoped to turn the album into a self published book that I would give to my parents and sister. I discovered that the photos were too small to upload to the publisher successfully and so my dream faltered. Then catastrophe - hard disk failure! I lost them all. I still have the album of course and could repeat the exercise but my heart's not in it at present. There is a moral to this story. Backup to a disk or memory stick! I hope that you enjoy reminding your friends of the good old days. Maybe you will have more lovely experiences with them in the future.
@SViswan (12071)
oh!! Hard disk failure is a big problem....glad you had the hard copy. I do not store the digital prints in the C drive (or wherever my operating system is loaded). We had to format our disk 2 months back...but all my personal stuff was saved because it wasn't in the C drive...only the C drive will need to be formatted. But just to be on the safe side, I also get hard copies made of the recent ones....that reminds me....all of last year's need to be made into hard copies....time to bully the husband into getting it done...lol
@p1kef1sh (45640)
It is a husband's lot to be bullied by his wife! LOL.
@SViswan (12071)
lol...Fishy....not everyone's as lucky ;)
@kalav56 (11502)
It is a very good idea SV.Two years ago I scanned an image of my father and wrote a tirbute to him. Now, your discussion has motivated me to scan my old photographs and upload them on to the computer. Very good idea!
@kalav56 (11502)
That is true. We have so many memories associated with old photographs and it is great fun recalling them especially with our friends or cousins/ siblings etc.
@derek_a (10902)
I have scanned every photo we have and they are now all digitised on my hard drive. I used a Canon scanner and it has done a great job. It took me a long time though, and I got through it by doing just an hour's scanning each day. _Derek
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Well done Derek! My HP is doing the same kind of overtime.
@SViswan (12071)
Mine is a Samsung scanner and it's quite good too. Like you, I've planned to do an hour or so a day and hopefully I will get the old ones done by the end of this year...lol Or maybe I'll just scan the ones I like.
@bingskee (5237)
the advent of technology had its advantages and one of them is making activities faster and easier. you are very patient about scanning the pics. i would do that, too, but only with some pictures not all!
@SViswan (12071)
I'm scanning only the ones that mean something to me. In the last 2-3 years, we've been using a digital camera and it's easier to upload the pics. I have copies made of all the photos before that and also have the negatives.
@lkbooi (16101)
Hi SViswan, I don't have a scan device so I couldn't get the old photos scanned. They are photos which we taken during our childhood. I wish to share with my siblings and their kids. Most of them are white and black photograph Anyway I tried to snap them with my digital camera. Oh gosh I had to do many times until I had got the satisfied ones! Of course the effect was not as good as those scanned ones or digital photos. I then uploaded them and emailed to them. I felt really happy the kids could enjoy watching the old photos and and read interesting stories about their elderly My younger sister even upload one and share with friends on a social network site. Seems that nowadays everything goes easy with the advanced technology. Happy posting
@lizmik143 (138)
I will also the same. I had old photographs from high school. I will scan them and post in a social network site and tag my classmates. That would be fun recalling back memories. :)
@SViswan (12071)
Yes, it would be fun but be warned that not all your friends might like seeing their old pictures. One of my friends asked to be untagged because she didn't like anyone to see how she was when she was younger.
yha same here....facebook really helps to connect with people you never thought you would still be able to get in touch with..and i do scan my old pics too.. my baby picture and all..its so nice to reminisce those moments...=))
@SViswan (12071)
Yes, it is,isn't it?:)
@bunnybon7 (37425)
• Holiday, Florida
im also planning to eventually scan all my old photos for online. since ive collected photos for many yrs. my grandmother was also a big photo nut and i got some from her and some from my aunt, etc. some of the best ones tho, were stolen from a storage unit. wish i still had those.
@SViswan (12071)
Awww..that's sad about the lost photos. We lost a few books and my mother's stamp collection during the Gulf invasion when we had kept it at my father's boss's place. The photos were so precious that my father had all the negatives (except the really old ones). We carried the old photos of which we didn't have the negatives and took the negatives of the ones we had and made more copies later.
@voldrox (7204)
Hello Sviswan, That is a good idea. I have many of my old photographs in albums too. I tried to take a photo of them using document mode in my camera and it was okay, but nothing can be better than scanning them. I don't know if scanning photographs is cheap but if i batch scan them, can it get cheaper? I had tried taking photos of the photographs and some came out well while others were not focussed much. I have uploaded some of such photos too and the looks of the photos are nostalgic, though may not be that clear as in after scanning them but it's worth shooting coz you don't have to pay a paise for taking a snap from your digital camera. It indeed is a nice idea to batch scan all your photos and store it in your computer, although digital data can be lost more easily, one can take enough care to keep photos in another drive which won't be harmed when you format your computer. I have some friends who had friends working in photo studios so they were able to take out their photo scans for free and put it into a cd to make in a photo data cd and the pictures looked nice and clean. Wish we knew someone too, so that they could have done it for free. he he.
@mokkka (883)
• Bulgaria
I already have many scanned pictures and for my pleasure everybody smiles and starts recalling certain things.I scanned even pictures from my kindergarten,first years in school,first colegues at work.That is why I love facebook.I usually don't use it to play games but just find our certain things about people whom I haven't met recently and also remember pleasant moments from the past.
@SViswan (12071)
Yes, it does bring a smile to our face recalling the past :) I did play a few games on Facebook but got bored of it and use it now (mainly) to stay in touch with old friends and family.
yes i do. I scanned some of my old photos and it's really good to share it with some special people. I am so glad i have found some of my long lost friends and family and relatives on Facebook. I enjoy looking at pictures and sharing it.
@SViswan (12071)
Yes, isn't it a pleasure to look at old photographs (your own as well as those of others) ? :) Brings back old memories:)
@Sreekala (23718)
Hello SV, I have some scanned old photos. Now the digital camera is using so there is no need to scan it. The technologies are making our works easier. I think you have two options, making it as digital format or scanning. I will go for the first because scanning may consume more time.
@SHAMRACK (8532)
Dear friend, Sometimes those old photos gives a nostalgic feelings. It rewinds those memories which I feel that is always can be taken back to our mind. But the reality is not occur ed as time take it away. Those photos I consider as some of my precious treasures. I had scanned a lot and also saved in www.photobucket.com. It nice to see it again and again.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I have done some of this but I found some old photos took way back when that I might start to scan but aolot of them are of scenory of our travels so might not do them
@SViswan (12071)
oh...no point in scanning scenery unless there's some memory attached to it.
@Lakota12 (42684)
just memories for me and I got the pics so nope no need
@syoti20 (5295)
I wasn'table to save all my photos.It was all ate by the termites. But If I have I might scanned them and posted them online.
@SViswan (12071)
Too bad you lost all your photographs:( You may collect the ones you have now for future memories.