Snow Days

@erikmama (12929)
Today there is no school once again because of the snow. This is about the 9ht day they have missed this year because of snow. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind because there is nothing worse than getting out in it, but it is pretty much a guarantee if ANY snow comes down, schools will be closed. I want my child to be safe, but there aren't snow days like this for work! I hear people up north talk about getting 4 or 5 inchs of snow and still going to school,so I think it is a bit crazy for school to be called off every time it snows. What about where you live? What is a snow day? Does the threat of snow cancel school? What is considered to be enough snow to call off school? Do you think schools should let it snow a good snow before calling off school?
I go to school in Greensboro, NC, and it's like that here, and all of North Carolina, really. Any hint of snow or ice, and class is cancelled. Sure, I like the days off, but it throws you off. It was hard to get used to my class schedule because of the cancellation, delay, and then holiday. My sisters go to high school in Charlotte, and it's worse there. For public schools, I feel like they'll cancel for anything. They didn't go to school for about a week. This is a huge change for me, because I'm from Pittsburgh, and up until 10th grade had gone to school rain (or snow) or shine, and there were only cancellations if the roads were covered in ice. I think the main reason for the cancellations in the south is simply that people here weren't raised to know how to drive in the snow, so they freak out and decide school should be cancelled. I can understand a day or so, but cancelling for weeks at a time is simply ridiculous.
@Shellyann36 (11278)
Hello there jessmartian. I am a fellow North Carolinian. I can understand how you feel. NC does cancel school often for bad weather. However in the defense of the state and us "southern" drivers I must say that NC is no where near equipped to deal with snow & ice on the highways. Our state simply does not have the equipment that Pittsburgh would have for this weather. The simple fact of the matter is that we very rarely have this sort of weather so there really is no need to spend millions of the budgeted DOT monies for equipment that we "might" use once every 3 to 4 years. Since you live in Greensboro I am going to assume that you live within the city limits. Fortunately for you the DOT (department of transportation) concentrates their equipment, salt trucks and plows and man power within the city limits so that people can get around better within that area. However, the rural areas are not covered within this scope. We do not receive the salt trucks, plows and manpower made available to the city. This is the reasoning behind school closings and such. The rural areas are hit and no help is received. So you might get your streets plowed but for those of us in the rural areas, we do not. As for "southern" drivers freaking out, well perhaps a few do. We are not "raised" to drive on snow & ice and I doubt that very many of us have tire chains. I hope this helps you understand better as to why we have so many cancellations & delays during snow & ice.
@erikmama (12929)
I agree that it does throw people off, especially when they are missing three days and more at a time. I feellike they cancel here for anything too, especially when they call school off and there is no snow on the roads at all. I guess that us down here in the south just aren't use to it and they get scared when they see any snow and want to protect the kids. But these are days that must be made up at the end of the year.
It's snowing right now in NYC. It's funny when I think about it. When I was younger and I wanted snow days I never got any. I don't remember ever having a snow day going to school. I just remember wishing that I had them. Even in college, when it snowed I still had classes. Recently public schools have been getting them a lot, and it's understandable considering how bad the snow was recently. Over here 4-5 inches generally isn't enough to close school. It has to be halfway up to your knees or higher. I think if public transportation is not running properly because of the weather and there are delays then schools should call off snow, otherwise children who need to use public transportation to go to school will just get stranded in the cold. This is a real concern in NY because many children do not live near to their schools and need to take public transportation or have their parents drive them to school.
@erikmama (12929)
You sid it best! I remember being young and praying for a snow day, too, but it did not seem to snow very much when I was young, or if it did, we had to go to school anyways. I can really understand closing schools when there are soe inches of snow on the ground, but I can guarantee you you would laugh if you were to search a pic of Nashville snow and see what is on the ground out here. My friend is here from Chicago and is complaining. Another girl I know from Utah is laughing about it. It is nothing compared what you guys are getting. I can understnad that there is a need for snow days, and believe me, I do not want mu child out if tehre is any risk of him being hurt at all. But I think this is a bit ridiculous.
@erikmama (12929)
Nashville Snow - This is what Nashville calls a snowstorm! This is the first or second snow we had in the area, which is the msot.
,
We dont get much snow so it is a big event if schools need to be closed. It is a big decision involving safety and transport. If a lot of children travel by bus but the buses are not sure to be running or the staff cant get in then it will close. It used to be easier to decide to stay open when more people walked to their destinations. There has been a lot of talk about having snow ploughs and gritting the roads but we dont really get enough for it to be worth the expense.
@Shellyann36 (11278)
Exactly magicalmerlin! Not to mention that all of the resources the southern states have, such as salt trucks & plows are all used within the city limit areas and on the bridges & overpasses of the interstates. The rural areas do not receive any of these.
@erikmama (12929)
Where do you live? We usually do not get a lot of snow here, either. I know it has been years since we have had snow like this. I know that is safety, and as a mom, I want my children to be safe going to school. But there has been a couple of days here that I know for a fact the children could have very well went school. A couple of the days I do agree with. We do have all of those resouces available, but when there is an inch of snow that has melted by tweleve the nexty day, it isn't that big of an issue, so I think!
@Marmot (595)
I am in NJ and it's snowing! But as far as I know, there is no school off today. As you said, the schools in your area call off every time when it snows, I think it is not a good decision at all. Safety is important, but seldom can snow be dangerous for school. If adults should go work on snowing days, why student should stay in home? It's not make sense. And of course, if there happens a good snow, calling off become reasonable.
@erikmama (12929)
There was another repsonse from someone in NJ who said that there was not a day off in scool. I know that there is a lot more snow up there. Safety is important, and as a mother, I want my child to be safe for sure. And it isn't that I mind him being at home with me, but I think that is ridiculous to call school off every single time it snows,especially when I hear from people who have worse conditions and are still in school, and like I stated in the discussion, work doesn't get called off!
@Suzieqmom (2763)
Here in central NJ, we have had 6 inches of snow SO FAR and it's still falling, and our kids are at school all day. We rarely close for snow--so far this year we have only had 1 snow day, and a couple of delayed openings. My kids are VERY disappointed today! I have mixed feelings--the roads are very bad, and school should have been closed, but now that they are there, it's probably safe for them to stay so that the plows and salt trucks can get onto the roads. I just wish we would stop getting so much snow!
@erikmama (12929)
Our grounds are not even totally covered and there is no school. I didn't even set my alarm last night when they said 90% chance of snow. It is crazy down here. I could understand if we had some inched down here. They had it closed one day and there was NOTHING out there to cause concern. I guess here we are just not use to snow like this and everyone freaks out the minute they see any of it. Every time it has snowed it has been school closed. I am all for the safety of our children, but when they are going to school in July,they are sure going to be mad! LOL!( We have used all of our snow days and tehn some)
@sid556 (31005)
They call off school for 4 or 5 inches? really? That;s like nothing compared to what we get here. It is snowing right now here and I doubt school will be cancelled because last I heard we are only getting at the most 4 to 5 inches. Prior to this they were predicting 20 inches...now that is a lot and I think that my boss would even understand if I didn't make it in for that considering I work from out of town. We have so so much snow here right now that we have no where to plow it. We've had maybe 2 snow days. I've driven in all of it. I don't feel I can be too critical here. If in your area, that amount of snow isn't the norm then it can be huge...people don't know how to drive in it etc. If it is normal then they are needlessly cancelling school which only means a shorter summer for the kids.
@erikmama (12929)
I would die if I were to walk outside and see 20 inches of snow!! The people here would really go cray if we were to get just half off that. There were people on the news one evening really upset that they had called school off. It was 37 degrees outside, and 98% of the snow had already melted. Still they were afraid for the kids TO GO TO SCHOOL We live in the south/ They need to get with the program and realize that yes, it is going to snow here. What state do you live in? No, people do not now how to handle the snow down here, I don't guess. I do not want my baby to be in any danger, but this is ridiculous!
@sid556 (31005)
Oh you live in the south? That explains it. They probably don't have the equipment to treat the roads and people don't have the tires for driving in this stuff. I live in New England and we have so much snow right now. Actually, today school got cancelled because of the snow. Not sure just how much we are going to get but it is already tons and it snowed all day yesterday too. My car looks like a snow bank right now.
@erikmama (12929)
Yep, Tennessee is my home. I am sure that it is that they do not have the equipement, but at the same time, there needs to be enough snow needed for them to need to use the equiopment! LOL! It was 8 degrees here a few days ago and the past two das have been in the high 60s and low 70s. Is it still horrible up there?
@Kalyni2011 (3503)
The place where i live in india has no snow at all, i have seen snow in movies only, our climate is so hot, if you come here during summer you might get roasted, similarly if i go your place i will be frozen in no time.. thanks for sharing friend.. kalyani
@erikmama (12929)
My dad was in the marines and said that he had met people who had never seen snow. I could not imagine living somewhere without snow. That is crazy to me! LOL! Sometimes I think it would be nice to live in a hot climate area, but then again it would just not feel like "home" to me. You would definatly freeze if yu were to come down here, and that is on the days whe n it is 40 or 50 degrees outsode. You could not imagine how cold it is when it is below freezing. Hoorendous. And where I live isn't as nbad as some other sates, and I could not imagine that!
@bounce58 (17524)
My son's school is located in a still-to-be developed area. Although there are some residential houses nearby, it is mostly open spaces. So, any little bit of snow(or sometimes heavy rains), they easily call off school. And yes, unfortunately there is nothing similar at my work. A few dusting, or heavy snow, we still have to go to work.
@erikmama (12929)
What state do you live in, Bounce? They call off school due to heavy rains? How much has he missed so far this year? I think it is weird to miss days just because it snows a little bit. As you said, people still have to get up and go to work, which is puzzling to me. I am new to the school thing this year, and even though they are in school, we still have to have some soret of child care arrangements set up for thse kind of days.
@tkonlinevn (5784)
• Vietnam
Snow is not dangerous for children. But the very cold air can make them sick. So, children should be at home if it has snow. If schools have enough conditions such as heat or temperature regulators, children can go to study.
@erikmama (12929)
The snow can be dangerous when the roads are covered in it, and it begins to melt and cold weather turns it into ice. I am a mom and do not want to put my child in any danger what seo ever, but I know that there are plenty of other places in the world that get much more snow than we do here in Tennessee and still make their way to school. I know what you mean about the cold temperatures. It is in the 30s here and very cold. I have been sick for a few days now being out in the weather all of the time, and my little boy was also sick for a few days, but luckily he is better now.
Here in IL rarely will they close and in fact they expect the student to show up and if the teachers have difficulties they will keep students in the assembly hall the whole day. I remember one day the snow was up my higher then my knees and I was struggling cold and wet to get to school. As I arrived after a 9 block walk, the school was open but then I had to sit in the Assembly Hall all day in soaking cold clothing.
@erikmama (12929)
I could handle if the schools used parents discreetion as well as bus driver discretion. I can understnad your point in the things, and I am with you. I do not want to get out in the mess at all. But we haven't had that much snow. I think we could have went most of the days that were out.
I live in Ohio and we do get a lot of days off because we get lake effect snow where I live. For me it depends where you live. If you live in a big city and most of the students live in the city I feel there should be school. But where I live there are a lot of children that live in the country I would rather have my girls safe to school then being risked getting in accident on the bus. I agree though missing so much school makes little sense. For me I take the bitter with the sweet most of the time. I love my girls so much having them home does not really bother me a whole lot.
@erikmama (12929)
What is lake effect snow? Excuse my ignorance. I am sure it is something simple that I know, but for the time beig I am stumped... I am in the city, but of course, it is the south, and it is "country",so some of the "bvack roads" get icy so they say. I know that the majority of students could make it in. The school system down here did not intigrate enough snow days into the year, as most years we get one little snow for a couple of days, so they are going to be goinf well pas t the time they are suppose to,so I think they should use the days wisely as needed. It is still another month of bad weather.
We dont get snow days like that around here...and I am in Michigan.. we get a snow days when the snow is like maybe 4 inches or more.. and since our state has announced that they dont have the money to pay the plow trucks to do a proper job, just enough to keep the snow basically pushed aside... then we will get a snow day. We have had 2 snow days this school year so far, and it was more because of the snow and artic temps that we had those 2 days...they said it was "hazardous weather conditions" so they called off school. I was glad those days since I just had a baby and I didnt want to take the kids out in that weather. I am going to start a countdown to the last day until summer, I am sick of the cold weather!! happy mylotting!
@erikmama (12929)
Wow, only 2 days? We have missed more than 9 down hee, I would say that only 2 of those were needed. It is like they see snow here and freak out. I can understnad if they close schools up your way, there is a reason to do it! I can not belive that they do not have the money for snow plows and such. That is so crazy! I mean, in Michigan of all states? I am with you. I am ready for spring. Last summer it was horrible here, the hunidity here is absolutley ridiculous, but I can still deal with it better than I can deal with this.
@ph1los (20)
• Lithuania
How sad is that, they realy canceled school for snow? For only 12 litle inches???You have got to be kidding me.I'n my country it is about 33inches of snow everywhere you look. Snow is not a real problem while getting to school at least it isnt where I live, only the minus temperatures are.Could you explain what harm can snow do? I do not know what is it in Farengheit, but our schools get caceled only becouse of recent epidemics of A(H1N1) also known as swine flu or Becouse of temperatures below minus 25 Celcius.In your case I think there is no threat if your child is well prepared and disciplined enough to not go diving in the snow for hours in order not to get sick... Oh and Please reply to my question and if it doesnt bother you write the country where you live.P.S. I live in Eastern Europe Cheers!
@erikmama (12929)
Now, we only have about an inch of snow. If we were to get 12 inches the whole town would be sht down. I live in Tennessee...in the United States. Where in the world do you live to have 33 inches of snow? That is alot! I am not sure that I have ever seen that much in my entire life. I guess for us southerners down here it can be an issue as we are not prepared for the snow as other places would be, but even still, one inch of snow should not close schools by any means.
@cream97 (29166)
Hi. erikmama. It was the same here in South Carolina. Just as soon as we get a little bit of store, people panic and they kill the food off of the shelves in the store! Schools and many businesses close. Many people that work, use this as a great excuse to stay home and sleep in and relax. We can have at least one inch of snow and they are ready to just shut down everything over that. It is a shame. Up north, they are so used to this. They make us look pitiful! We had snow in December and January. The children had to make up these days too. Oh no, they were not going to get all of these free days off, without making them up. I think that the snow should be high at least 3 inches before they make students stay out of school.
@cream97 (29166)
I meant snow not store, sorry for the error.
Where I live they only have snow days when there is 24 inches or more on the ground. The only other time when schools close is if the wind chill is so bad that the kids can get frost bite easily. I can understand if the temps are so cold that they would cancel school because of the kids health and safety.
@erikmama (12929)
That sounds reasonable to me. Here they call it off just because they say it is going to snow. I know that it is cold and the weather is horrendous, but at the same time, going to school in July is not cool at all. I can tell you I respect people who live in places like Minnesota and New England because there is no way in the world that I could do those type of temperatures as cold as it has been here latley. Arizona sounds pretty nice to me right now. o
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I lived in a small town in Virgina and we usually had 2 make-up snow days a year we made them up on Saturdays, they were usually a fun day, of course we complained but better than going to school into the summer. School usually was closed as soon as the snow stuck to the ground, it was always better to go to school and then have school closed, as that wasn't seen as a make up day. I personally I would want the school to close than to have my child out on some icy, snowy road, for the sake of going to school. School days can be made up, my childs safety is more important than school. I live on the west coast in Northern CA, my area doesn't get snow, and I'm very happy about that.
@erikmama (12929)
I like the idea of making up days on Saturday though it would be a bit of hassle. it sure beats what we are favin right now, which is school going on into June. I wonder why they did not allot more snow days into the school year, but this has been one of the worse seasons i have seen in a vaery long tiem. One day school here closed before snow evenhot, just because of the threat! Isn't tat crazy? Does it snow in California?? I could not imagine no snow EVER or at least the cold azz weather...
Erikmama- I live up in Minnesota and the kids here get very few snow days. It has to be blizzard conditions in order for them to cancel school. There are days that I had wished my college professors had canceled classes. I can remember one year when we had 30 below wind chills, and snow still coming down and our professor was like "You can't miss class or you will fail", so my husband had to drive me to the college in our old Camaro. It was the worst trip ever and cold! Namaste-Anora
@erikmama (12929)
LOL!! i hate getting out in the snow, and I know Tennessee weather is nothing compared to Minnesota! And I can not imagine how cold it is up there either! I think that the directors here just are not use to that type of weather and are scared the minute they see it . One day lasty week I got a call from the school telling me, and I quote, due to the threat of inclement weather, all after school programs are canceled. LOL. I figured it was just a tennessee thing, an d it seems like you guys are the ones who need it the most!