What does it mean to present 5 goals during an evaluation?

@JenInTN (27565)
There is a new evaluation process going into effect this year at the company I work for. I am responsible for giving these to my team three times a year now. During the first one, they are supposed to present 5 goals and I am supposed to help them accomplish them. I am also supposed to assess them and develop them to "reachable" and timed goals...dates and all. OK...I go to the second presentation about this tomorrow but as of now..these goals are being presented as being self development...personal and professional. Personal on the level that it helps them to maintain moral and excel in their job. The thing is that there are some employees that are happy just to come in, do their job, and get the paycheck. It is a goal to support their families. I actually give one of these people a chance to do something different the other day but they really just wanted to do what they were used to and not worry about learning something different. They are happy as they are. They are not exempt to the new evaluations though and I'm worried about putting undo stress on these people. What do you think? What kind of goals would you present? Would this put a strain on you if you were an employee or a manager?
@writersedge (22579)
The goals I would present would depend on the company, how I saw the future of the company, and how my department related to the goals. For example, if in order to be competitive or to keep losses down, my company sought to diversify, then my goals would focus on diversification. If only one aspect of the company was making money and my department was not in it or was only a minor player, then I would seek out niches that other departments weren't doing within that one aspect. People are loosing their jobs right and left in this economy. If people want to do the same old thing, they may be out the door. I understand the need for a comfort zone and 5 new things is pretty scary for those people, but the company should have hired flexibilty from the start if that's what they wanted. You may have an uphill battle from a couple of directions. I don't envy you. That's one of many reasons why I never wanted to be a manager.
@JenInTN (27565)
People are having a tough time were the job front is concerned right now. The people that are in my team are all very important to me. It is a tough job anyway so there is not very much turnover. People that aren't committed usually don't make it to be promoted to my department. The person with the least amount of time is pushing 6 years. Most of them are pretty used to changing it up procedure wise so I'm hoping they will adjust to this as well. I think that the new system is going to help identify talent within the company as well as try to identify certain weaknesses within departments and give us a chance to address them. It is not going to be easy but I think if they realize it can really benefit them....maybe they won't be so uncomfortable. Wish me luck with that..lol.
@writersedge (22579)
It sounds like eventually it will be a good system.
@mythociate (15351)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Are they 'life-goals' or 'work-goals'? Because with life-goals you could incorporate the company into helping the employees at-least as much as they help the company. That way, the employees have less 'home-problems' on their minds and can more-efficiently take care of 'work-problems.'
@JenInTN (27565)
That was something that I was concerned about as well. I think that our performance at work can greatly depend on things like mood and stress. I actually considered gathering information for different services that the comapany had available for them just in case. Thanks for the response.
@savypat (20246)
First I would have the team help in setting the goals, they will be much more excited about these if they have had some imput. Even those workers who just want to do the job can have goals to do a better job. If their job is output maybe then can increase just a small amount each day. If their job is public relations maybe they can learn customers names. There are always small goals they do not have to be large. When you make your 4 month report, you can tell how the team contributed to the goals and the results. This way your bosses will be impressed with the team spirit as well as any progress you made. The first time I had to do this for my employees I tried to do it myself, but then I learned that people will respond better if they are involved. Good Luck
@JenInTN (27565)
Oh yes...their tails aren't getting out that easy...we are a team and their input is going to vital for my their success as well as mine. I think that you are right on the money about involving them. We work together..we help each other and I think it's only right to create common goals. Thanks for responding savypat.
@schulzie (4064)
I had to write up my own goals at a job I had about 10 years ago. I hated doing that. I am one of those people who like to "come in, do my job, and collect my paycheck". And you're right - that did put alot of stress on me personally to write up my goals, assess myself, etc. I just don't understand why upper management forces middle and lower management to do this to their employees. I mean, if there is cause to be concerned with the quality or quantity of work being done by the employee then their manager should address that. But if the employee is performing their job function properly or exelling at their job then why can't they just be left alone to do their job? If you ask me this is just a waste of the employee's and the company's time to work on these "self goals". Just do your job, that's what your're there for and don't waste time sitting there stressing about and then creating some goals. I bet you that half the time the employees just write down whatever B.S. they think that management wants to see. I know you are stuck in the middle and that sucks too. Hang in there. In some ways I am glad to be a stay at home mom now. That was very stressful for me when I was asked to self evaluate myself and make up some silly goals. I say just tell me how to perform my job and then let me get on with it. Have a great day and happy myLotting!!!
@JenInTN (27565)
I think there are a lot of people that feel the same way. I am allowed to help people develop their goals so that might help them out some. I really want to make it a good thing for them if I can. If the company is really serious about finding potential inside the company, that might actually open up some door for some well deserving people...including the ones that just want to do a good job. Consistency can be worth more than gold in a teamwork environment. Thanks for responding.
@jodylee (968)
I have a few things to offer here. First, your point on employees wanted to stay with the way things are. Change is often a difficult thing for people to accept and understand. Self development can come from many angels. I would suggest having some clear conversations with your employees that are having difficulty accepting the new process and explaining that the goals are for them as well as for the company. The company is most likely aware of the attitudes you are facing and that may be the exact reason they are implementing the new plan. Validating the feelings and being able to make the employees you supervise think the goals are there idea would be a worthwhile way to go, in my opinion. Second, with making goals be achievable and on a time line you really have to dissect the goal with the employee making it. If the ultimate goal is to get a masters degree, that may not be the goal you put on the paper. Perhaps the goal is to sign up for, take and pass one college course. Goal setting is an art form. Being able to do it does not come naturally and you may have to be prepared to move some employees in directions of goals that you can see for them, just to help them get started. As for putting undue stress, it is what the company wants and ultimately the employee has to make a decision on making the boss happy or not. It is way to easy to become complacent and when that happens work ethic tends to go down. I would advise to be as positive as you can be about the new changes. Take them head on and lead by example! Best of luck to you and your new challenge! I hope this has helped a little.
@JenInTN (27565)
Very well though out response my friend. Very good advice too. I have been considering the way I will present the evaluation and goals. I always approach with the attitude that I am helping them. Regradless of what it is we have to discuss..I am there for their benefit. I will stand up for them and help them but I will also inform them and lead them if they get off track. That has always been me. I also pride myself on honesty and if there is one thing they all know...I will be very straight with them. Thanks for responding and take care.
@jodylee (968)
Thank you and good luck! Presentation and honesty will be very important and it sounds like you are on the right track. I would also suggest making the most of the education you are getting. If there is a chance to actively participate, do it :) It will give you more confidence in your techniques. What kind of training are you attending?
@JenInTN (27565)
It is specific training for the new evalutaton system. They want all the managers to be on the same page so that the new system will be used to its potential. I will be presenting my own goals today..lol..practice.
This person you speak sounds like me toward the last. Just give me my headphone and leave me alone! That was because everything in that department was so complicated and we had such a long process for everything. UGH! I think maybe these type of people could have person goals. Like doing something faster or more of it. Especially if they are doing the same job all of the time. I would have them think about it and tell them you would like to see them better themselves. It would put a strain on me(everything does so go figure) but with it coming from a nice well meaning manager such as yourself I could probably do it. Do you have a employee of the month there? That could be a good insentive to do the goals thing too. Good luck! I hope it goes okay for you.
@JenInTN (27565)
I do know that there are people that are happy in their comfort zone. I have a very versatile and cross trained group but there are those that are happy with the norm..nothing wrong with that. We don't have an employee of the month but I think this new evaluation might have a salary increase dependent on it. That's gonna make things new and competitive. It might even be a little scary for a while We are used to across the board raises when we get them..not for perfomance. It is going to be interesting. Thanks for the input.
I guess the powers that be have to do something to be assured they are getting a bang for their buck. Is this UPS?
@JenInTN (27565)
No, but who knows what we will be doing after these evaluations.
@Lore2009 (7389)
That's interesting. I think it's good that there are things like this in the company because I think it's good when people try to grow and challenge new areas they never had. But at the same time, I think it may be a different story if I have a family.. since I don't, I can't really speak for them but I can only imagine. As much as the priorities of workers would be ideally their job, in reality, they may have a lot of other things they need to deal with in life. In that sense, would it be possible to take advantage of the people who are willing to excel and let the people who are content... give them a slower paced goal?
@JenInTN (27565)
I am thinking their goals will be based on their needs and of course company goals and expectations. I suppose they can bring anything to the table they want as far as goals but I have to help them "develop" them. I have always handeled people in the same manner and I am very upfront and honest with the people on my team. I think it's best that even if I have to tell them something they don't want to hear..they know I would say the same thing to someone else under the same situation. I guess this would give us a sit down chance to express their needs and I could tell them how I could help them with those. It's going to be a challenge for sure.
@Lore2009 (7389)
That's good that you are honest. How are you feeling towards this challenge? I hope it doesn't stress you out, but it sounds pretty mind stimulating. Good luck!
@JenInTN (27565)
It is going to be very time consuming if I want to give this thing a fair shake. I have already started their folders. I only have two weeks before I start scheduling meetings. I can actually see a lot of potential for this new "tool." I want to use it for them. And of course the company will benefit if they are happy and productive.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah I would hate that. I would probably make a list of goals directly related to my job, period, end of story.
@JenInTN (27565)
I'm not one to mix my personal life with work either. I am very private when it comes to that. My goals will certainly be work related.
@idowrite72 (2214)
I think it would put stress on ANYONE presented with the goals and such. It is enough and sometimes more than enough for some to go to work, and then to be presented with goals, they would find going to work even more of a problem. Is it for them or for the company? Sometimes such things are helpful to generate MORE work from some, but as you mention, sometimes it becomes stressful for some to even think about what their goals are. If they are performing their jobs accurately and doing the things they are supposed to be doing, it does seem that they are being burdened with one more thing to think about and do. Some are already working at capacity, for them, and it could affect their work IF they think that they are not doing well enough, when in actuality they are. Sometimes people just need to be left alone to do their jobs to the best of their ability, in certain circumstances. Sometimes if they are told that their job security would be affected by NOT doing the goal oriented things, it could be an incentive to do better and be more aware of those goals. Kinda talking in circles, but writing as I think!
@JenInTN (27565)
My mind was going in circles over this too. It has its godo and bad aspects for sure. My company is all about thinking outside the box and I think this may be a way that they are promoting that. It is for both the company and the people. It is also a new way for the managers to identitfy inside potential for promotions and such. My people are ready. They are as awesome team. I have been working with them for a long time on cross training and procedures. I think they will be ok but I do have a couple that are very happy with the things that they do right now. It's going to be a challenge.
I would probably meet with your department and asked them what they are looking forward to with regards to improvements. This will give an idea if any employee would like changes and or simply do not care. Some goals that come to mind, and forgive me I can't remember the line of work you do, but if production is a factor, something like x number to be done and evaluated during a certain time period. Maybe the company can add that if goals are met some kind of pizza party can be given during lunch breaks. If attendance is issue set some form of goal that if a department can have zero attendance certain number of hours to be paid as personal time. It is a bit difficult without being able to remember the type of company it is and if I am not mistaken it has to do with package delivery, no?? If so maybe sorting production goals can be set as well. Good luck as this has to be a bit stressful for you also, as the heads will be looking at you for completion of goals.
@JenInTN (27565)
It is a challenge but to be honest..I do better under pressure..lol. I am work in a factory and my specific department is inventory control. I think your right on with the attendence/production goals. It is our delivery to the assembly lines that their production can be dependant on. I think that it will be a good thing if it is handeled right. All managers there are not as "fair" as I pride myself to be and the potential for unfair ratings id high. If their manager is not onboard with this and doesn't help them meet their personal goals...well....I just hope higher management takes note. We are not exempt from the new evaluations either. As managers...we will be evaluated too. That's ok with me though..I know I do the best I can for the people concerned and for the company. Thanks for the response.
First of all, as a leader of the group, you have to know them well; everything about them including their life outside the company. Then, evaluate their job performance to the given objectives of the company. If the you found out their performance level, give credits to the top and average performers. And, for poor performers, plan a face-to-face meeting with them, but one by one, set goals, get a specific date to check again, and thank them for their efforts. You are the leader, so the expect you to solve that problem of yours. That's your job and do whatever you can to pursue that company's objectives. Don't stoop to the whims of your workers. Stay firm and cool, think, don't rush any actions when confronted. Be professional always and carry your self-esteem with dignity in you heart and mind. I am an experienced Manager and I knew too well about this scenario. Review the evaluations again, if you think that's not fully applicable on your workers, then, talk to the management other approach or ideas that fits to your workers status. Or, find a way, any ways to put that company evaluation into effect, but with different approach. always know their weakness and strength, for you to accomplish things into proper perspective. You have to be smart in dealing with them. Decide now of what you're going to do, and stand for that decision. Be brave to face the consequences of your decision. Go on, review the company's evaluation, study very carefully and apply action at once. Remember, you are there to guide these people into a meaningful life.
@JenInTN (27565)
Hi FX! I take that responsibility very seriously. I always calculate my reactions and above all I treat everyone the same. I don't believe in favorites and if it applies to one..it applies to them all. This is a very intense evaluation and improvement plan that they are presenting. It's going to be quite a challenge. I think that if ot helps them and the company..that's great. The people I am worried about at this point is the ones that are comfortable in their positions. Their goal is just to get through the day and be able to pay their bills. They are paid well and are content with what they are doing. The goal thing is going take them out of their comfort level for sure. Thanks for responding!
hi why on earth does not the top brass just outline the goals inside of making you do it? I think I wou ld suggest being on time, properly dressed and also being courteous to all you work with and to your customers or clients or what have you. Goals to build the compoany to get along with teammates,work together with no problems, finish whatever you are assigned to do, and be helpful to coworkets. I have never worked for a company I worked in a hospital caring for ill people and in the library shelving media. Our only goals were to be courteous to people and do out work correcting and get alon g with our staff members.
@JenInTN (27565)
Hi Hateley! I am really going to be covered up keeping up with all this on top of my regular job duties. There are departmental goals that are preset but my job will be to help with additional more personalized ones that breaks it down to an individual basis. It's going to be a challenge for sure. Great suggestions.
@zweeb82 (5716)
Well, I have to admit I skipped through reading all the responses & just answered straight after reading your post as I have limited time, haha~!Especially with our active son around now. My wife is putting him to bed as of now so I get to come on here a bit. Anyways - the only constant in this world is change? And yeah, people always LOVE to stay in their comfort zones - creatures of habits. If you want to set goals for them, IMHO, why not try to increase the output productivity of something that they are doing a slight bit. Like, instead of 10 a day make it 12? Then slowly you can change or implement something that's different bit by bit instead of a totally new thing. Well, there's always 2 groups of people - the ones who'll eternally NOT be moved, remaining the same since the ancient of days; but there'll always be the adventurous ones. I guess you can't always please everybody
@JenInTN (27565)
That's true. Everyone will not and can not be pleased. This is going to take them out of their comfort zone but sometimes I think that it can help to be moved out of that. I mean..maybe it will spice things up for them and they will actually enjoy the challenge. Thanks for the response.
@zweeb82 (5716)
Well, I guess the real test is when the rubber hits the road, then we'll truly know what we're made off, haha!~No pain no gain?But really tell me, how can one grow without challenges right?
@JenInTN (27565)
@pergammano (7755)
I think on this one, dear Jen, the ball is in your court...the stressors are all yours. You have a HUGE goal to motivate, those in your domain, as you are challenged to inspire ALL! There are some situations here, that seem to me to be virtually unattainable, and if anyone can motivate, it would be you! There are so many persons in the workplace....whom I think, their spirit has been broken, be it from work or home and so they are NOT goal orientated. WOW, a huge, huge challenge as a lot of times these persons are responsible & productive...and in these cases you have to be the mentor that finds out what stole their "vim & vigor," and inspire them to challenge themselves. You need a "pot" of compassion at the end of this rainbow, dear Jen. Good luck...and HUGZ!
@JenInTN (27565)
I suppose I will take those stressors with open arms. What can I do? Give it any less than my all? Not me..lol..I guess it will be up to them as to what they are willing to share, but when and if they do..I'll have to step up. I owe them that by being in this position..afterall..I am only as good as my team allows. I'll take that big ol pot of compassion if I ever see that rainbow again..lol.and do you think a mountain is considered moved if your able to just shift it a bit?
@bounce58 (17526)
I've always worked in a union shop, and this distinction between union, and salaried people have always divided the two in terms of establishing progress or development. Union staff are just happy to come in and work knowing that their increases are taken cared of whatever collective bargaining agreement they have with management. Salaried employees on the other hand, depend on these goals to get their merit increases. So, I've always been part of evaluations or appraisals in which goals have to be set. I've always have to come up with it, and me and my supervisor would sign off on it. And then he or she would help me achieve that. Usually, I'd pick some skills that I could use in my job. And then I'd insert one or two goals in which I could later on use if ever I move on to another department, or find another job.
@JenInTN (27565)
It sounds like it has worked out pretty good for you and hasn't caused you a lot of stress. I hope that everyone is as open and veratile as they can be so that they can really benefit. Thanks for the response.
@gabs8513 (48716)
Well I used to be a Manager myself before the Illness took me I would not like to put stress on my Staff no as I think everyone has enough stress in life But I would try and give them an incentive to work for the Goal I would put it to the Company and see what they say about it Even if it is just a Gift Voucher or something like that it might work and not cause the Staff to much Stress
@JenInTN (27565)
Incentive is actually on the table. It might be a gift card...it might be a raise...maybe even a dinner. The raise thing is what will be a bit controversial. They are used to one getting a raise..everyone gets a raise. It might get nasty when the raises start getting handed out based on scores...I don't know.