Kleptomaniac

This is a real story..I have a friend a very close friend who has this kleptomaniac behaviour.I was never her victim but my friends were.I feel bad for her since she told she cannot control it.I've asked her many times WHY????she told me that when she sees something she wants and could not get or afford to have..she can't sleep and she keeps thinking about it and it will only stop when she gets the thing.Its like someone is driving her to get it.I told her maybe she is just feeling insecure..maybe if she could divert her attention to other things this will keep her from that urge.She told me that its been long since she took something..but honestly,I myself am afraid that she might do it to me.Every time we are together I feel not safe that maybe some of my things might get stolen..I know its bad and I feel guilty about it..but its hard to trust someone you know have done it..I wish I could help her stop the serious habit that might get her to trouble.What do you think is the best help to give her??
@nishant5n (1067)
Hello Tanya, Kleptomania or shoplifting is an addiction to steal things not for personal use or monitory gain. It is a disorder of impulse control characterized by a morbid tendency to steal. Person cannot help, but steal. The person is irresistibly inclined to steal things whether it is cheap or expensive. He/she steals just for the tension or the kick. It is often caused by the emotional shortcomings during the youth. You must have noticed that your friend always steals things that are useless and not expensive. She generally throws them after stealing. It's treatment is rather easy, yes you can help your friend. You can try these steps: Divert her mind You can help your friend another hobby to replace the stealing activity. You can help her develop some other hobby. When her mind is diverted she will not think of stealing. While shopping or out with you, you can tell her to put her earphone in her ear and listen music. In this way her mind will get diverted and she will forget about stealing. This will change her in due course of time. Make her Realize You can also tell her that what effect others have with her habit. People get hurt when she steals. You can also tell her that what you feel about her. There is no need to feel guilty. Just tell her that you feel that she will steal your things also. This will have a great effect. She will leave her habit instantly. At least in front of you--in this way your half work is done--be with her most of the time and she will eventually forget her habit. Actually, all treatment are based on impulse control as this disorder is impulse control disorder. If you can help her control her impulse, her urge to steal, she will definitely not steal. Further, you can help her by taking her a psychiatrist and getting her treated with the help of medications. There is nothing wrong in going to a psychiatrist and getting some medications prescribed. These medications contains SSRIs, a chemical which controls the impulse. So she will have lesser impulse then. But, I suggest the best way would be behavioral therapy done by you.
wooow!thank you..great help really .. ;)
I believe she needs a professional help because that is a serious problem and though you badly wanted to help her because she's close to you, you cannot do it alone, so better tell her to go to the right person, a doctor. =)
you are very right..I hope she faces the real fact that she is ill and seeks help .
@Lance26 (957)
What she did for telling you her all of these things is a good step for her. Meaning she's very open to you. Help her the way you can when you are together, remind or warn her everytime she urges to steal something. Better yet, advice her to seek medication.
She does trust me a lot.We've been friends since then..my friends don't trust her and they warn me to be careful.Whenever I hear those comments from friends its hard to think straight.My friends never really confronted her that they know this serious issue because they hope she could atleast deal with herself that this might get her into trouble.
@tkonlinevn (5784)
• Vietnam
I think that she maybe has hurt specially psychologically. Why don't you take her to a doctor? She need the help of him to solve this problem. You should see it such as a disease.
Back in highschool she had issues with herself and hurt herself when she has problems she can't overcome.A friend of mind told her to get help but she takes it badly that's why its hard to advice her.
@UmiNoor (3666)
It does sound like some kind of psychological disorder which needs special attention. Perhaps a special doctor can help her overcome her problem. She has to seek some kind of medical help if this behavior affects your relationship with her.
Very true..she said it has been months but you will never know when she will have the urge to get some thing again.Its hard to trust her,I can never leave my valuable things with her because I can't trust her.
@asliah (11148)
hi, when i was in college level, i also encountered a classmate that also have kleptomaniac, but my classmate can control her behavior. i dont know hoe can she control it. i think your friend needs some one on how will she control it.