No MSG added - NOT!!!!

I am forever on the lookout for foods that do not contain MSG. MSG gives me my husband and I an awful migraine-like headache. When we eat out, we ask the restaurant if it's possible to drop the MSG in our order. I grew up on Japanese foods that contain MSG in it (geez, my mom added more MSG (ajinomoto) to everything) - which would explain how I had so many bad headaches as a kid. Just when I get excited about reading labels that say "No MSG", I read the ingredient list and find "other names" for MSG. You can Google for hidden names for MSG - among a few: Autolyzed yeast, yeast extract, hydrolyzed plant protein, and many more. Some ingredients even have some MSG in it, but they don't have to tell you that. So how deceitful is that??!! How can this be allowed? Do you try to stay away from MSG too?
@stanley777 (7177)
Yah- you can't really take msg in food ,especially in viands- since they are salty and need msg.. You should just stick to vegetables- be a vegetarian. it may be hard but it is the only away to stay away from msg..
Well, MSG can be found in prepared vegetables too . . . it is a flavor additive that anyone can put in any food (like salt or sugar). Tomato sauce can be vegetarian, but sometimes MSG can be found in sauces like that. I think the only way to truly stay away from MSG is to cook your own food - stay away from restaurants and frozen foods!!
@Shar19 (8236)
I also try and stay away from the MSG. I get headaches and migraines a lot and it certainly does trigger them. I will only go to one chinese takeout in our area because they don't use any MSG. I also read all the labels on the food I buy. Basically just about everything in a box or package has MSG in it. Unless you buy organic.
I normally do not get migraines, but I imagine that's a migraine feels like when I get MSG into my system. Ugh, and then I just have to ride it out - nothing makes that kind of headache go away!! We try to eat at Chinese places that will omit the MSG too . . . luckily more places will do that for you. There are some fast food Chinese places like Panda that say they do not add MSG, but I think I will have to look into it to see if they indeed do not put that in - by any other name.
I do try to stay away from MSG but I don't eat a lot of prepared foods and rarely eat out either! But I am so glad to know that there are more names for it.. I did not know that! I do know if I read an ingredient list and there are tons of things I cannot pronounce I won't buy it. Unless there are a few items and they are easily recognizable it doesn't go in the basket! So.. I probably don't get it anyway!
It's good you don't get prepared foods so often . . . eating home cooked foods is the best way to control all the bad stuff. And oh yes, unfortunately there are MORE hidden names for MSG - and the problem is they are pretty easy to pronounce (it doesn't exactly sound harmful anyway). Yes, do stay away from MSG all you can!!