K-12 Education needs money to succeed

@laglen (19782)
shortchanging our kids? Give more money. Give more money. School districts can not survive. we must lay off teachers. Cant buy books. Cant buy supplies. Wayne superintendent's $1M retirement package creates storm http://www.indystar.com/article/20110128/LOCAL1804/101280341/Wayne-superintendent-s-1M-retirement-package-creates-storm I wonder why there is no money?
@hofferp (4739)
Since he got his total package approved over a period of time, I believe he knew he was soaking the district. So will he step down, will he return some of the money, will he renegotiate to a lower amount...NO. Would I move out of the area as fast as I can if I were him...YES. If I were on the board that approved the package, even if it was done pretty underhandedly, would I step down...YES. I think a review of all superintendents, principles, assistants, etc. positions/salaries/bonuses/etc. ought to be going on in all districts. I know Martinez (Gov-NM) is calling for a decrease in administrative spending and the savings to be directed straight to the classroom. That needs to be going on everywhere. In addition, NM is consolidating a whole bunch of districts, totally eliminating the need for superintendents, principals, etc. in districts which had less than 1000 (I think that's what I read). Throwing more money at education isn't the solution anyway. We need fundamental changes and then we'll see if more money is the answer.
@laglen (19782)
I agree, take the money from admin and give it to the students. I agree they all should be reviewed. Our lil district here pays WAY too much for an ineffective superintendent.
@hofferp (4739)
Isn't there a way you (and others) can demand a review/recall/something? Paying too much is one thing, but then add ineffective to the mix and I wonder why he's still there?
@laglen (19782)
5 of our 6 board members are idiots. They actually believe, the more they pay the better the person. They said we have to stay competitive. here is a little snippet written by one board member regarding the others http://greeleyreport.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/breaking-district-6-news.html This is also the person that just lost his license to carry because he wanted to carry t school board meetings.