Is school really worth it?

I have been trying to go back to school for the longest time, but when I was younger I had a lot of traumatizing experiences at school that I did not go to college right after high school. Lately, my traumas/fears are settling down so I tried enrolling, but eventually ran into some problems. To the point that I was calling every number on the list of the people in admissions and the upper level people. Till this day nothing is solved and the school owes me quite a lot of money. Now I am back to my old way of thinking about school, not necessarily traumatized but I feel like school doesn't mean anything. Of course it's a ticket to certain jobs and experiences, but I make more money than most of my friends who went to university and I have never went. I have my own business and own several different types of businesses under my main branch. I think I have become succesful of my drive and passion, not school. Being in school kept me away from lots of experience. Can someone convince me to go back to school. Is someone really really learning and enjoying themselves in school, if so in what way? Do you think most people need school to motivate themselves to learn, or are you just trying to get that degree to get a job? Do you think it really is easier to get a job because you have a degree?
Hi purple, First you have to determine what your goals are that you want to achieve by returning or not to school. See continuing education serves two purposes in life, self fulfillment and or for betterment of career. If you feel that you are not complete then returning is for you, If you feel that career advancement would help then returning is for you. But you have to determine if this exactly what you want. See there is no point in returning if you yourself are not determined. From what I read you are so I would suggest to continue on, not doing so you will look back a few years from now and regret that you did not. Let's face it four years are going to go by whether you want them to or not so make the best of them and I wish you well with whichever venture you take here in.
@Lore2009 (7388)
I have an AA but no job as of now! It was hard for me to ever find a job in my field. Now that I am home bound, I enjoy taking classes online. It is very expensive and after self teaching myself, I debate with myself whether paying for knowledge is worth it, but it does keep me connected to society and discipline. In that sense, it is worth it for me because I don't want to loose touch. Today, I did a discussion board on my online class and read some comments from my fellow classmates. Many of them seemed to not understand a lot of what we were to discuss on there.
Thanks for your input, it encourages me to go to school, maybe I'll try an online class first too and see how I like it. At one point I had given up on school but lately I been wanting to try again because I am not enjoying my job and I want to work with children. I really hope I can follow through without giving up, and I don't want to blame the system for not completing when I could of. I shouldn't let them control my dreams! Thanks
@megamatt (14327)
That is a tricky question these days. The lay of the land has been so different these days because of the way the economy is and all of that thing. School means something different these days then it even meant when I started college about five years ago. It is really scary to think about it, how night and day it is and how much everything has changed regarding to school. I think that having a degree might give you some experience and get your foot in the door. A foot that most people might not get in the door and there is more competition for many jobs out there more now then ever before with the way that the economy has been. School can be worth it now but I think that the way it is worth it has changed a great deal, if that makes any sense whatsoever.
yes it is scary, so many people i know say they don't know why they're going to school or why they went be caues they are are unemployed or they hate school becasue they are not learning... of course it might give some more of a chance to get your foot in the door like you say but that was definitely not the case for me, i couldn't even get my foot in school because registering in a class took forever because a teacher tried to transfer me to an advance class and ended up being told that the teacher couldn't do that which ended up making me kicked out of ALL my classes... anyway yes the economy is so bad that school doesn't seem to get anyone a job these days, and i'm thankful to have a job that i can go to altho i didn't go to school.. i think it's kind of unfair that the society has make people think that if they go to school they can get jobs...
@mensab (4206)
schools exist not just to prepare people from a certain jobs and earn a living afterwards. schools instill principles that are valued in society, for example, integrity, honesty, etc. besides, schools provide a certain kind of confidence in and achievement to graduates. a certain social network immediately exists if one graduates from a certain school. these are the things that you may miss out.
but not all the time because my teacher and the school people in the main office did not know how to add me to a class they thought i should be in as well as give me back a prompt response, so i wonder if the people in the school are not efficient, how can i trust the school system to teach me? i do agree that in school you can meet people and learn things other from the actual subject you are studying but to learn i think we must be in a safe envirnoment where all we have to worry about is the test... not people trying to get your money or stealing or what not...
I am 26 years old, and I spent 22 years of my lifetime in school, from nursery up to medical school. 22 years is a very long time. It robbed me of some summers, christmases and new years especially when I was in medical school. But it was all worth it. I know a lot of people who weren't able to finish school (college) because they chose not to. They are successful now because of hard work, and perhaps luck too. But one thing they all regret is not being able to finish school. Although they are more successful than others who were able to take up college, having a degree of any kind, be it something professional or vocational, is their dream. All of them. They don't need the degree right now, because they've made it through the rough times without a diploma. But still, college is different. Having a degree is different. There's a certain level of fulfillment when you finish college. You maybe successful without a degree in whatever work you are doing, but deep inside, even without you realizing it, there's a sense of emptiness there. I don't know how to explain it, but having gone through college and medical school is still one of the highlights of my life. Traumatic years, indeed in terms of grueling hours of studying and cramming, hospital duties and sleepless nights. But with the right crowd, you'll get by. School will always be traumatizing to all of us at some point. But if you let that experience rule your life, you may not realize it, but you'll see other aspects of your life getting affected as well. Not just your desire to go back to school. You are being robbed of your fear. Of your traumatic experiences. I've always believed in education. Whether it will help you further or not, it fills a space in our lives that cannot be filled even by the most rewarding business you have. It might be too late someday. Better act now.
A very good reponse kaycharmedMD.....
It is definitely easier to get a job with a degree. Most people get a degree to get a job. I mean if you didn't need the degree to get the job who would waste all that money on college just to get it? But to me it already sounds like you are successful with your business and with the looks of it you don't really have to go back to school, that is unless you are trying to do something else with your life. In that case I would suggest going back to school.
@lutphie (143)
Your problems, what are school for when i need and how to get start. Let see your motivation and choose the right school and way for your first steps. No motivation? That's okay, you will have it after you get in, find some friends there, and taste the colors of days there which make you different from not school days, much people said that school complete any of your 'life buildings' and your hidden business instincts.
@sublime03 (1811)
If you already have your own business and is successful at it then do not exert your effort into going back to school if you are not ready for it. There is a time and a reason for things. Even if you have not finished school does not mean you will not be successful with your endeavors. It only means that you dealt with what you have and you are good at something. School is only good to those who have the heart for it. It is intended to learn things but if you are not ready then do not force yourself because society dictates you to have a degree in order to get a job. If you are okay with what you have and where you are at then why bother for now. Again, it is your decision to bring yourself into doing things not because of what society thinks of it or what our fore fathers went through.