Excessive Resource Usage???

As many of you know, I work several PTC sites and I have run into my share of trouble with them. I can understand and be patient when I am told they are under DDOS attack but what the heck is up with them using "excessive resources"??? Lately there have been a couple of sites that have had that error come up when I have tried to access them...or even when I try to access a particular page on the site. Does anyone know just what this means??? Should I also be patient when I find this error message or should I chuck the site that has it pop up?
@petersum (4525)
This happens a lot if you are accessing a database through PHP scripting. I think many hosts have separate servers for database usage and normal web page delivery. The problem is that they don't have enough bandwidth on the database one, or not enough servers full stop! Plus PHP isn't the best way to access a database. When I had this problem a couple of years ago, I switched back to perl scripting and the problem disappeared.
Okay...I'm going to go ahead and sound stupid again here but What is PHP? I know nothing about these things and don't understand scripting, either. Can you explain to me like you would a four year old? thanks.
Thank you for your explanation. I'm afraid I will never be a whiz at computers...at least, not the programming side. I am just grateful that I can use them. They are becoming more and more essential and less and less a luxury all the time.
@few00cent (2143)
This error causes from Server side when a website is blocked for reason of excessive resource usage..its mean the website is consuming more resources and slowing the overall internet bandwidth of the server.maybe the website owner is running a site on shared hosting.