Do you find it easier to accept advice from family or outsiders?

@scheng1 (24806)
Singapore
My parents have the experience of ignoring by their kids when it comes to giving parental advice. They know that their kids accept advice from teachers, classmates and friends, and not from parents. Similarly, many grown up children find that their elderly ones do not listen to them. The elderly ones listen to the doctors, dentists, bankers and practically everyone else except their own children. Do you find that it is easier to accept advice from family members or outsiders?
@mommaj (22726)
Hi scheng. Great topic. I think people accept advice from outsiders before their own family because they are afraid of what their family members will think of them or they feel their family members will judge them on some level in some way. It is easier to tell a stranger your problems because you do not HAVE to ever talk to them again. Who cares what the stranger thinks about you as a person. He or she probably will not even think twice about your question. Family members sometimes will ask how your problem worked out or what you did as the solution and maybe even say "I told you so".
@scheng1 (24806)
Hi Mommaj, that is true in many cases. We definitely find it easier to talk about our problems to strangers who are experts in their fields. i think another reason is that we do not think so highly of our family members, since we see them every day. The Bible saying about the prophet not welcome in the hometown is true in this sense. Familiarity breeds contempt. Many parents also feel that other kids are better than their kids. When their kids tell them something, they have to double check with the other parents, before they realize that their children are telling the truth.
@megamatt (14331)
I would be likely to accept advice from family to be honest with you. Well at least some members of my family. It really does depend who gives said advice. Really there are some family members that sadly while they have their hearts in the right place, aren't really the best people in the world to ask for advice. Many of them of them are, but the point remains that there are some that are not the best people. Still if someone sounds like they have their heads on straight, then everyone is a potentially source of advise. Whether it be for parental advice or any other advice to be honest with you. Still if someone knows really knows what they are thinking about, then there is really no reason not to pick their brain. You never know, you might learn something. Its very possible. At least enough for a short consideration.
@scheng1 (24806)
Hi Megamatt, actually most of us do not appreciate the wisdom of our elders, until too late. Our grandparents are more likely to tell us to eat our greens, not to take so much fast food, yet the younger generation ignores the good advice. When they get sick and doctors say the same thing, then they start to listen. It is surprising how we tend to appreciate the so-called expert advice when our family members have told us for several years.
@dragon54u (31605)
I would sooner take advice from a family member than a stranger. My family only wants to help me but a stranger can have other motives. It can be frustrating when you're trying to help a family member or friends but they will only listen to "experts".
@scheng1 (24806)
Hi Dragon54u, most people prefer to listen to outsiders. When the doctors ask them to eat more fruits, and vegetables, at least they listen to the advice for a few days. Most likely when the family members say the same thing, they just ignore the good advice. It is funny how people think so highly of outsiders and not family members.
The thing about advices is we usually don't follow them whether they're from family, from friends, or even from people we don't know. I ask other people's opinion (family, friends, etc.) but I usually follow my own judgments.:) haha.:)
@scheng1 (24806)
Hi Mac, that is very true. It is always better to seek different opinions, then we decide on the best course. I think the crisis two years ago shows that it is foolish to trust the bank officers completely. Those minibonds or whatever bonds deemed as very safe investment products turn out as junk.