another four legged friend with cancer

@savypat (20248)
My friend just told me that her wonderful lab mix has cancer again. I often wonder just how much good we do our pets to fight there cancer with surgury and other treatments. So many times this turns out to be just a delaying tactic. In the mean time the animal has indured pain and suffering, all because we want so much for them to live. I feel this is not so much for the animal as it is for the human attached. When our emotions are involved how much do we consider the animal's welfare. This happened to us last year, my Hubby's wonderful old cat became very ill with a tumor, he took him to the Vet who said he thought he could get the tumor and took the cat in the back opened him up and took the tumor out, well the cat had to spend a week in the vets office, in pain trying to recoup from the operation and when we brought him home I spoon fed the poor guy until he just got to weak to walk. I made up my mind then that the next animal that had to face extreme treatment in order to live would not be put through this just so that I could share it's life for a longer period of time. Call my hard, but isn't true love not allowing harm in the way of painful treatments just because I can't let them go?
It is a tough choice and every person handles this situation in a manner suiting for them. I suppose in defense of your friend I would say that if it were a human child would we not say "Do the therapy?" despite the pain the person endures? Chemo is not fun for anyone let alone a being that cannot express in words how they feel. So, I suppose she is doing everything possible not for her self but for her companion, be it that he is on four legs. On the other side I can see how if a family does not have the funds it is very difficult to decide to put the animal down, and many say they do so for the sake of the "suffering", and the truth is that they simply cannot afford the treatments. I feel that regardless the choice we should not judge the reasons behind it but accept what our friends decide to do. Namaste-Anora
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Hi, Anora...My first doggie was a miniature dashchund. He was only about 2 yrs old when one day he couldn't move his hind legs. The vet took x-rays and did all those necessary tests and the diagnosis was a brain tumor. That's a risky surgery and his quality of life afterwards was just too uncertain. So to spare him the pain and doubtful aftermath, I had him euthanized. I've never regretted that decision. I went on to get other pets and have had to euthanize two cats. It truly is a tough decision but I've always put the feelings of the pets first. Medical treatments and the bills for pets are just as expensive as those for people and it always has to be considered.
@rameshchow (5284)
Oh! no, it is so sad, i am sorry. I am listening first time that the animals can also effected by the dangerous disease CANCER. How much money we need to its operation(surgery)?
@savypat (20248)
Cancer treatment can cost hundreds of dollars, their cancer can be treated just like human cancer.
@sharra1 (6344)
It is hard to let go of a friend but sometimes it is necessary. I think that suffering like that is too hard on the sick one and we should let go. We might also say the same for people. If I was dying in agony I would rather end it than suffer and I am sure that our animal friends are just the same. If either of my dogs developed a terminal illness and were suffering I think it would be kinder to say goodbye and let them go than to prolong their suffering. It is a tough kind of love as they cannot talk and let us know their wishes.
@Lore2009 (7389)
I never decided on how long my pets should live. I always tried to stay there with them til their end and ever time, I thought we should decide, they passed away naturally. They never let me decide.
@jasper40t (468)
Im not sure about Labrador dogs, do they have a high cancer rate?, plus was it the mix of dog maybe?, or even what the dogs diet was?, i understand your question, but dogs get our diseases like us when we eat all the wrong foods, plus genetics play a big part. Im not sure, the vets are defo not like Bupa hospitals thats for sure, but ur right, i agree with you, i would have it, put to sleep sooner rather than later...
This is a very difficult subject to respond to, and I do not think that there is one answer that will work for every situation. I know people that have their animals "put down" when they feel that they are "too old" or just a little sick or for reasons that seem foolish (at least to me), and I have to wonder why they even chose to have an animal in the first place. Of course, if the animal is in pain and suffering, then that is an entirely different story, especially if there is nothing we can do to ease their suffering. Personally, I think that the decision must be made the same way it would be made for a human in a similar situation. If they are suffering, then we need to do whatever we can to make them more comfortable and ease their pain. Unfortunately, sometimes that means that we have to let them go no matter how much we love them.
@Pose123 (21671)
Hi savypat, I agree with you, we should not let our pets suffer just because we want to keep them around, it just plain selfishness. I had a cat for thirteen years and it was very difficult for me to have him put down but watching him suffer was even worse. I wouldn't put a pet down for any little thing, in fact I spent a lot of money on him but feel that the vet was giving me false hope at the beginning. Blessings.