Playing an instrument

@dainy1313 (2354)
Leon, Mexico
Since I was a 8 years old, my mother made me take piano classes. I played on my Grandmother´s piano (she dead before I was born). I studied piano, until I was 11 or 12 years, more or less. And then I changed piano for sports. I wanted to meet people and the piano bored me. Now I am 38, I am married since 13 years ago. I have three children, we moved from our original city. And last year my mother gave me my Grandmother´s piano. I moved it to our home 8 months ago. I´ve discovered now, that piano is a therapy to me. A complete therapy. How you experienced playing an instrument?
playing the guitar transports me to a different world away from all responsibilities yeah it really soothes my soul and calms my nerves
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hahaha Chipesterkhan hehe, you stole my words!! "Playing -music- trnasports me to a different world!" =) Blessings!... Dainy
@tiffnkeat (1679)
Like yourself, my mother made me take piano classes at 10. I stopped just before 12. 10 years later, I saw someone play fingerstyle on the guitar and fell in love with the instrument. Since then, I have been playing the guitar (although I don't play well). Frankly, I regretted stopping the piano lessons. If I had known then what I know now, I might be a hit with the 'chicks', and it will facilitate my guitar theory. Nevermind...life goes on.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hi Tiffnkeat, it seems we have things in common =) . Someone told me that learning music is like learning to ride a bicycle. You never forget it. Maybe we need to practice a little bit more in the beginning to regain what we´ve lost. I also play a little bit the guitar, and I think it´s easier to switch between two instruments. Music is there. I wish you could have some hope to replay someday the piano or the keyboard at least! Blessings!... Dainy
@SimpleBB (1332)
For me, music is always a good therapy. Much more if you could play it on your own. Lucky you for having the chance as well as means to learn or study some music instrument. For someone like me who really does appreciate how music can influence my mood, I envy those who were given a chance and did well on instruments. Piano is one instrument i want to learn, but maybe I don't really have the gift to learn. So I just enjoy in listening especially instrumental. Keyboard is really different for me, it feels like touching our hearts when it's played. Still wishing to see myself someday playing piano even just one piece.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
SimpleBB I love your hope of playing someday the piano! I wish you could! Blessings!... Dainy
@GreenMoo (11842)
I played instruments to a reasonable standard and took music exams when I was younger, but I stopped when I left home. Now I can probably just about pick out music on the piano and I regret not keeping it up.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hello GreenMoo, someone told me that learning music, is like learning to ride a bicycle. You never forget it. Maybe we need to practice a little bit on the beginning to regain what we´ve lost. Don´t you think so? Blessings!... Dainy
@eileenleyva (10684)
Hello dainy. I love piano music, too. Like you, my mother made me study piano when I was a child. Alas, I do not have the aptitude in note reading. So, I also ventured into sports. But when my mother sent me our old piano, I looked for a teacher for my daughters right away. That was a decade ago. Now my younger daughter is due to hold her concerto recital this summer. I had to buy a new piano so she could practice well. But our old piano stands side by side with the new one. The sounding board had given up but we like it to stay with us anyway, a testament to our love for piano music.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hi Eileenleyva!! It seems we had things in common!! =) Cheers to you and your daughter! Blessings!... Dainy
I've been a full-time classical musician for more than 20 years. I never got to have lessons of the kind I wanted since everyone around taught only popular music. Finally in desperation I went to Europe and got a full-featured training, and then came back to the U.S. to teach and perform. I cannot now imagine my life without classical music!
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Classicalgeek it is amazing!! You DO love music. You needed the music so much that you even went to Europe to learn it!! Sometimes I think that the music would be the cure for so many brain deseases. Playing an instrument, to the brain, is like the water to the body. Blessings!... DAINY
@petersum (4526)
Oh I love playing my computer! Well I don't happen to have a grand piano, nor the space for one. But these virtual instruments you can play on your computer are great fun. Actually I can play a few real instruments too. Harmonica and tin whistle are two of the most portable. Although I have been known to play guitar, bagpipes and organ in my time. As long as you learn one instrument as a child, you'll be ready to tackle more later in life. At school we had to learn the recorder - very embarrassing - but you have to start somewhere. And it's like riding a bicycle isn't it? You never forget, but get a little rusty at times.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hehe, Petersum, I haven´t play anything yet on my computer, bur your words encourage me. I used to have a blind music teacher that 15 years before, he already supported on computer based programs to help him play piano. Wichever instrument we play, it takes us off a little bit off this world. Yes, you are right. It´s like the bike riding! Blessings!... Dainy
My voice was always my best instrument. I had a really difficult time, as a kid, sticking with anything so my parents wouldn't pay for anything like piano lessons because they knew I'd just get sick of it. I wish they had, now because it's such a beautiful instrument. One of my favorite musicians (
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Singing is also a good therapy, we must learn times, notes, reading music paper, lowing or raising tones and volume! Good for you! Blessings! ... Dainy