Why do people cling to power???

@zenki08 (700)
The recent events in Egypt have raised a lot of questions. Not only in Egypt but also across the globe. I remember back in 1986 when then President Marcos of the Philippines was ousted because of people power. Now the same scenario is happening again with the Egyptian president. The question is, why do people in government cling to power? I Know the word itself explains it but people really have a tendency to abuse it.
@ptower76 (1619)
Power is about control over others and in the case you mention, control over vast sums of money. Once one experiences this control, it seems difficult for them to give it up. Unfortunately, if the proper checks and balances are not a part of a government's constitution, politicians abuse their power to the detriment of the average citizen.
@zenki08 (700)
Practices or should I say laws that have to be changed so that the people will not suffer.
@ptower76 (1619)
yes, its about the people taking back the power. Its about creating laws that will protect the people from those leaders they select from abusing the power given to them. Long ago a famous man wrote, "government is a necessary evil." Citizens need to make sure that this necessary evil can be controlled.
I think the better question to ask is, who doesn't want power?
@zenki08 (700)
Yes who does not want power? but the thing is the way people handle power that is the problem.
• Oman
People cling to power because of various reasons such as popularity sake, vested interest, and hidden agenda. Many are in positions but execute no action in numerous ways. Leaders are supposed to rule with influence in a way that constituents benefit more than the ones ruling the latter. Leaders are supposed to be followers, too because they exemplify positive virtues where many model from. Some have the power once in the position but they abuse their power (abuse of power so to speak). Leaders are men in position who are likewise men in action! They are supposed to serve as a catalyst, or an agent of change. What I observe, they are the ones being changed by sorts of agents! We'll persistently be at a loss when leaders out there seem to continue their misleading and wrongdoings.
@scheng1 (24950)
Hi Zenki, the Chinese has a saying to describe the situation. It means that you find it difficult to come down after riding on the back of the tiger for a long time. Once you get off the tiger, the tiger will turn and kill you. That is the situation with those dictators. They offend too many people when they are in power. If they lose their power now, many people will kill them and their families. If they are lucky, they only lose their money but get to live the rest of their lives in poverty.
@lilaclady (28270)
Yes it is very puzzling, why would they want it when they know so many people don't want them, maybe I am way too sensitive but that would affect me and I would be out like a shot...I wonder why he is so unpopular...