It's hard to be a VEGAN when you're hypothyroid.

@adnileb (5035)
Lot of veggies now are a no-no for me.. like broccoli, cabbage, potatoes and soy beans. They're all goitrogenous that interfere with my thyroid gland. Being hypothyroid means having insufficient amount of thyroid hormone produced. And I just love broccoli. It's so sad, I cannot eat them as normal as before.. Can you suggest foods for hypothyroidism?
@veronizm (909)
I have been diagnosed of having a nodule on my thyroid about 7 years ago. The doctor said that it's a simple goiter and gave me a medicine for it but it never shrinked. I'm the kind of person that never really trust doctors 100% and I also don't like medications so when the medication that she gave me was of no use, I just resorted to home remedies. And it was very simple. I just eat seaweeds (or what we locally call "guso", or "lato") at least once a week. I also eat soups with seashells at least twice a month. I religiously do it until now and I haven't had any problems with my diet whatsoever. I still eat cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, etc and I don't have any problems with my thyroid. I've seen a video before (I can't really remember the site coz it was such a long time ago) that people with thyroid problems can still eat cruciferous vegetables because they are still good for the health but they would have to take iodine supplements in order to prevent affecting the thyroid. Although I don't know if I'm hypo or hyperthyroid, I guess you can do what I did -- eating lots of seafoods and seaweeds for iodine supply. You may also take vitamins that has iodine. I hope this helps.
@adnileb (5035)
I also like to eat seaweeds... Actually, I always eat seafoods because there are lots of seafoods in my hometown.. I always eat prawns, crabs, seaweeds and "talaba". But I guess my thyroid glands aren't working properly so I'm still having problems now. Anyways, thanks for the info... Have a nice day!
@veronizm (909)
Oh I see. I guess it also depends on the body's chemistry. Do you also exercise often? I think it would also help a lot :)
@adnileb (5035)
Exercise? Nope. Just brisk walking everyday while going to work. I don't have time for a serious exercise.
I guess i dont know the right food that will be suitable for you i guess you will have some vegetables that can be consumed when you suffer from hypothyroidism.
@adnileb (5035)
yup there are some veggies that I can still consume but they are hard to find here in the philippines.. hehehe... i guess i'll just watch on my diet..