protecting yourself in bed.

@savypat (20246)
I have slept with my Hubby for 50 years and he has always been a quiet sleeper, I have been the restless one, but now he has started hitting me while he is dreaming, so far it has just been light taps, but I am worried about more violent dreams. Do any of you sleep with a restless sleeper and if so what do you do to protect yourself?
@sender621 (14956)
Perhaps you should be consulting a physician for your husband's behavior. If this is more than playfulness, it could turn into something else.
@savypat (20246)
He's not awake, he's dreaming and reacting to his dream.
@paula27661 (15899)
Ouch, that sounds a bit dangerous LOL! I have not been sleeping in the same bed as my husband for a couple of years now because of his very loud snoring and I mean LOUD! I am a light sleeper and the combination of the two of us does not make for happy sleeping! The constant snoring became a problem when hubby gained weight and he’s had sleep tests and shedding some pounds is the only solution; easier said than done for him! You could ask your husband to see a doctor before you resort to separate bedrooms like us!
Hope he will not be that violent in future. I sleep with my wife, but some times, not always, her loud snoring causes disturbance.. Thanks for sharing the secrect Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@rameshchow (5284)
hahahaha... hahaha... restless sleep with sounds is really funny to discuss, but it is really terrible to feel or to face. Actually i m sleepin so silently in a good posture. In my family all are like that only(very silent sleep). But my sisters uncle is so dangerous sleep. hahaha, he is so fat with big size stomach. hahaha, so funny, once i told to him, very roughly because from 3hours i get irritation, finally i roughly wake up him, and told him, close your mouth please, after few minutes he again starts the attack, ooooof...
My husband and i have not experienced being that while sleeping. Though, we both snore specially when we had a hard time at the office.
Well talk to him about it. If he can't help you or tell you what he was dreaming about and it gets worse you may need to seek some sort of help with this. Or if you don't want help for this you may need to invest in a seperate bed from him. Now this is somewhat on topic but I knew someone who's EX was in military and he would get violent in his sleep. I don't know if your hubby was in the military but something to think about as a possibility as many older and current generations of military men ignored the Post-Tramatic Stress and pushed back things they say or did when they were in the service.
@webearn99 (1744)
On the lighter side, this may be the payback time! It happens sometimes when people are worried, please check with him for that. Just feed him a high carbohydrate diet for the night, this is the best sedative and he will get a good night's sleep. If all this fails, do what all women are experts at, banish him to the couch.
This hubby sleeps like a rock, and the first one, although he would toss and sometimes cry out in his sleep did not flail about either. I would think about if anything has changed in his routine or his health. I know he had a surgery. Try to see if he will eat a small snack at bedtime that includes protein. Maybe some yogurt. After fifty years it would be a shame to be suggesting separate beds. At our house we would start taking magnesium supplements at bed time, but you may want to check with your doctor.
@EdnaReyes (2628)
Oh, I think you can have extra pillows between you and your husband. If he's reacting violent during his dreams, make him talk about how he feels for he may be holding some unexpressed feelings and dreams are his only way to let it out. Why not sleep on the floor for a while until he becomes quiet in his dreaming!
I dont really know about this. I'm kind of curious for the answer as well. I used to really kick and move quite a bit when I was younger.
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Well, I don't sleep with anyone anymore except the kittie who is for sure a quiet sleeper. I had a friend once whose husband was one of those combatative sleepers. She would actually receive full out punches during their sleep time. I think they finally resolved the problem by getting twin beds and he would often end up on the floor from fighting with his bed. In a way, it was funny when she was telling about it but then also rather tragic as they were denied the closeness of sleeping together.
@syoti20 (5295)
I guess tell your hubby to stop watching dreadful or war movies or even fight/combat movies. I think last movie syndrome was into your hubby.
@Lore2009 (7389)
My ex was really violent when he used to sleep. If people would accidentally touch him, he would start aiming punches. So I was always careful but even when he'd flip his arms they would fly and land painfully on me. I am glad I don't have to do that anymore.
@Nadinest1 (2040)
It is funny that you mention this, because after 23-24 years of sleeping together, my husband is sleeping with his arms above his head. I have woken up, thinking that when he wants to put his arms down, he is going to elbow me in the face. A month ago, I woke up with a startle because he brought his arms down and just skimmed my forehead and my nose. So it could happen, I can see now. What can really be done about a restless sleeper, besides not sleeping together.
@mermaidivy (15417)
haha do you tell him about it? My husband does snoring and talking but he doesn't have any movements so I am safe Maybe he is very stressful during the day so he dreams and hit. Or you shuold sleep on your side or another bed to sleep on in the same room?
@zandi458 (27952)
I don't know what happened once I am in my dreamland. I sleep like a log but my husband used to complain that my snoring is giving him uncomfortable sleep.
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah I did, and now I don't. :D