Choculinananapinenut Smoothie

@RawBill1 (8542)
Gold Coast, Australia
What is this crazy RawBill guy going on about now? I hear you ask! Well, today I felt like something different, so I created a new smoothie for lunch using some Cacao Nibs which are raw chocolate (Choc), a teaspoon of Spirulina powder (ulina), 4 frozen Bananas (nana), 1/3 of a pineapple (pine) and the water and flesh from a Young Coconut (nut). Blended together this gave me a Choculinananapinenut Smoothie! It was absolutely delicious and very refreshing on a pretty hot day. Have you ever created a new recipe and given it a weird name like I did today? I would love to hear about your creations.
I do not usually have that kind of exotic or unusual ingredients for my smoothies, and seldom do I name them. I do use frozen bananas and usually berries or cherries as well. I will put cocoa powder in my smoothies for fiber and because of the great chocolate taste. I guess one of my favorites is banana, peanut butter, yogurt and cocoa. It just lacks a name.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Peanut butter in a smoothie??? That is pretty odd. I have never heard of anyone doing that before! In my world the ingredients that I mentioned are not exotic or weird, I know lots of people who use them. But there was a time in the past when I would have thought they were as strange as peanut butter smoothies I guess.
Oh, I know, what I call exotic is normal for you. This time of year we do not have a lot of choices and many of those things do not grow here or we do not import them. The thing that sounds unusual to me is the time I have read of putting avocado in with fruit as a smoothie. To me avocado is a savory fruit, requiring salt and lemon juice and peppers.
Looking back at your ingredients, I guess I would say, I have never used spirulina, and I have to only guess where I could get cocoa nibs. I would have to use cocoa powder as a substitute, and I have. I do not think I can get a young coconut here. I need to go get a fresh pineapple, as it is the best cure I know of for a cold. I had forgotten, as I have not had a cold in over a year.
@veganbliss (3901)
• Adelaide, Australia
Oh mate! Well done. I have created originals that were a success, but they were in an entirely different field. The last original recipe I've ever made was a failure & I haven't made one since. That was when I was about five years old! I wonder if there's a website out there in webland that you could put your name on it & no-one could take it away? You could put the offer up on your Raw Pleasure website & have a deal where the next order over a certain value gets a free recipe or if you live on the Gold Coast, Bill will rock up to your doorstep with a big Choculinananapinenut smoothie for you! Thanks for sharing it for free! I'll know where to look for smoothie recipes when we get up there. I was just talking to my father about this the other day - in a round about sort of way. It seems to us that down here, we just tend to jam a whole heap of words together & make them look like one word. I think the example used was children's names. Americans have traditionally tended to hyphenate names like Emma-Lou & Bobby-Sue, etc, but we just put it all together into one great big long one (I've forgotten it already!). I was driving behind someone from the Northern Territory the other day who called his trailer "Didyabringabeeralong?".
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I used t know a boat that was named "Didyabringdagrogalong" What about the race horse in the 90's, not sure of th espelling but it was something like "Waikikamukow" (Why Kick A Moo Cow) I am always coming up with different smoothies but I never usually record what I put in them or name them. Just follow the sound of the Vitamix as soon as you arrive!
• Adelaide, Australia
Oh dear! Still having problems with "th e" I've heard of both of those too! Mate, if you had that blender adapted to 12VDC, you could live for free forever on Bedini power!
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Yes, the THE problem is still there! Bedini Blender Power has a nice sound to it.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
LOL, Would tell u it sounded good but i hate pineapple. I cook w/a flair but don't think i have ever named anything like u did.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
You hate pineapple! Really! Wow, I have never heard of anyone not liking this fruit before. I have it growing here and finally after years of planting the tops, only for them to not fruit, I actually have fruit on one! Planting in the right part of the garden and also into my home made nutrient rich soil was the key.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
WELL, U HAVE NOW MET UR FIRST, LOL.gLAD u finally have some growing. Enjoy & u are welcome to my share.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Thank you. I will gladly accept your share my friend.
@paula27661 (15899)
Uhmmm...That does sound nice… Worth trying and healthy too! Choculinananapinenut smoothie is a great name for it! I don’t have any interesting and creative recipes like that. Probably because the kitchen is not my favourite room in the house! Thought I’d drop in and say hi…Keep up the yummy creations!
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks Paula. I am not a big fan of spending time in the kitchen either which is why I like smoothies so much. Just whack a few things in the blender, hit the go fast button and there you go....a meal!
@JenInTN (27565)
That sounds wonderful! I love smoothies. I have dabbled around with different smoothie flavors but never made one good enough to name myself..lol.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Smoothies are awesome. I have at least one every day Jen, but I never name them all even though they do change slightly from day to day depending on how I am feeling.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I don't think that I have. But I am parial to a raw food recipe spread: One avocado, 3/4 dates and dulse. Although I smach a couple of pecan nuts instead. Spread on crispbread or oatcakes and very yummy. In fact I might go and make some now.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Avocado and dulse is not something I have had together but I think it would be delicious. Avo's always go well with salty foods. That spread could be called Avodatulse spread!
@cream97 (29167)
Hi. RawBill1. Hmmm, this smoothie sounds very refreshing and yummy! And quite delicious too. I have made many things, but I have never given it a name for it. I love to eat tuna on honey wheat bread and I love to add two slices of cheese on each bread. I then would like to add some crisp and cool lettuce. Yum!
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
For a second I thought you meant that you put honey on your tuna sandwiches which I thought was weird until I read it again! Tuna is cat food to me as that is what we feed our cats. Not my thing at all. Maybe you can start getting creative and naming your meals now.
@stk40m (1119)
• Koeln, Germany
sounds delicious. Maybe you should patent the recipe, it could be another good opportunity to earn :D when it comes to cooking/ creating stuff I'm not very inventive. Others can do it much better than me! Cheers
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I am not really creative when it comes to making dishes but it is really a lot easier to be creative with a blender. You just throw things in and taste test. Over time I have learned what I like in smoothies and what I do not like.
@teamrose (1499)
That sounds incredibly good. However, 4 bananas...sounds like that many bananas made quite a lot. How many ounces did you end up with? I will definitely use the recipe. How does spirulina taste? You are truly an inspiration.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I am not familiar with ounces as I am in metric, but it was about a litre or just a bit over that I think. I usually put six bananas into a smoothie, but when I have coconut flesh in there, I tend to put a couple less in. When bananas are blended you can eat more than you can if you just eat them as they digest easier and faster. Spirulina has a taste that is quite unique and a bit strong if you put too much of it in. You do get used to the flavour of it though. It is definitely an acquired taste and one that I cannot really compare to anything else other than other green powders that also have spirulina in them. It is worth getting used to though as it is highly nutritious and a complete source of protein. Thanks for the kind words...makes me feel all special.
@pergammano (7755)
sounds absolutely delicious RawBill...and your creativeness exceeds my limitations! But I find it really interesting, that you should mention Cacao Nibs, as previous to yesterday, I had never heard of them! I read yesterday in the "Globe & Mail" (TWO page spread) of the serious shortage of Chocolate about to be released on the world. Chocolate in 2000, was $1000.00 a US tonne, and 2011 it is nearly $4000.00 a tonne! Learning the process of chocolate is complicated..WOW! Not just growing and harvesting! And how the shortage is related to POLITICS, depleted soils, uninterest from farming families..etc. Really an interesting read...and if you have Cacao nibs...I can now narrow down the country you live in...LOL! Take care and Cheers!
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
You can narrow down where I live because I have cacao nibs? That confuses me as it is available in a lot of countries, but cacao is imported mostly into those as it only grows in tropical countries. Cacao is grown here in Australia, but only in small amounts in the far north. Most of it is imported. That is interesting what you are saying about the price per tonne. I had no idea about that, but I do know that raw vegan chocolate products are far more popular than they used to be. There are also more and more MLM companies revolving around chocolate cropping up so I suppose, more demand equals a higher price. Depleted soils are an issue for most crops around the world and it is only going to get much worse if current farming practices are continued. This trend can be reversed but only if mainstream farmers completely give up chemical farming, stop tilling and ploughing the land and revert back to traditional organic methods of farming that actually increase soil quality instead of reducing it. http://permaculture.org.au/2010/12/04/dirt-the-movie/
Thank you, for sharing the permaculture link..anything I can read or see regarding argriculture, I devour...NEVER too old to learn! I am guessing that you are right in the throws of gardening right now, where here in B.C., Canada..it is still a figment of my imagination! Yes, as I am sure you know, the Cacao tree is not habitable in many parts of the world with the Ivory Coast being the biggest supplier..and Ghana rating second whom are both facing environmental implosion! Tree stocks old & sick, soil depleted, temperatures rising, and rainfall more erratic. Farm production is poverty wracked...as most is grown in plots of less than 3 acres..so after costs, not much is left for farm rehabilitation! Research seems to point to the fact that this crop can not be industrialized, like, foresay Corn. It is a truly sensitive plant, that needs constant tending and pruning..and miraculously, the only tool required is a machete. Chocolate is also at the root of a huge political embargo on the Ivory Coast, creating a false shortage and creating panic amongst global "chocolate" power brokers. OH, and to answer your question...to date, since you have started this wonderful discussion...I have found..NO-ONE...NADA that know what Cacao nibs are! I am really enjoying (in idle time)researching;chocolate. Hope you are having a great weekend (I know you are well into it...as you are 18 hours ahead of B.C.) Take care and Cheers!
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I did have a great weekend last weekend. I went away camping but it was incredibly hot. I have been offline a lot the last week, so I am trying to catch up still on discussions here. I hope that you are having a great weekend this weekend. It is Sunday afternoon here right now and hot again! Cacao nibs are just the beans that have been ground down into smaller chunks. What we did have available here for a small time last year before the big companies came in and took over (more politics) was cacao beans dried with the flesh of the fruit still around them. This concept was original here as far as I know but now a big USA company are doing it after they saw them here. They were delicious as you got the sweet and the bitter all in one mouthful. I tried to grow some cacao here where I am last year, but even though I tried to control the environment, it did not work as the nights get too cold. They are a lot of work from what I know of the plant. I have heard of people in Canada though, growing them in controlled hot houses on trolleys that they can wheel outside in the warmer months.