I would like to get an answer to this question.

@cream97 (29169)
I really need to know something that has been on my mind for many years now. It is about my race. There have been questions and statements that were made towards me concerning my race. My dad's mother looked like an Indian. She was an Indian. Her mother was an Indian as well. My dad's side of the family, says that I take after my grandmother's hair. I had an Caucasian female that was in my class during middle school ask me if I was Cherokee. I did not know what to say. In sixth grade, I had hair that was 30 inches long. It was so long, I could sit on it. I had a girl ask me if I was mixed with another race. I could not answer her either. As I have went through life, I have noticed that I look different from African Americans. Most of my family is made up of many people of this race while others look like they could be from another race. When my grandmother died, many Indians came to her funeral. They were dressed in the attire of silk and shawls. They did not look like they were from around here. I could tell the difference. So, I want you guys to go to my profile and look at my photos. Tell me if you think/believe that I look like an Indian. Your comments are very important to me. I have also been told that I look like I was from the Philippines. I never thought of myself in this way. My cousin told me that I was mixed with Indian. I asked her why people at school kept on asking me about my race and she came out and told me the truth about my race. I have a picture of my great, great great grandmother. She was an Indian. I just don't know what kind. I would like to know who I really am and what nationality do I come from. I would appreciate your thoughts on this question. Thank you all.
@daeckardt (6245)
Hi cream97, It sounds like you are Indian and something else. From what you have here, I can't tell what race your mom was. It sounds like there was a lot of Indian blood on your dad's side (if I read this right). Where was your mom from or what race was she? When people ask me about my heritage, I just tell them I am German/Irish with a touch of French and who knows what else. Like most Americans, I am Heinz 57.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi. daeckardt. My mom was African American as far as I know of. She had a lighter shade in skin complexion. It was very beautiful. Her skin glowed. My daddies mother had high cheekbones like an Indian. She looked like one too. She has a sharp harshness to her face, like most Native American Indians too. Her features were that of an Indian. I noticed that about her a whole lot. Her hair was jet black and very silky. Just like doll babies hair. It was very fine. She had skin that was radiant like an Indian. So yes, you are correct: My dad's side of the family has more Indian blood in them. My mother does look like she is Chinese. So is my cousin, and my grandaunts.
@daeckardt (6245)
It sounds like you have a rich heritage. Be happy that you have such diversity in your life. Do you know a lot about your cultural background? I mean like things from your Indian heritage or anything like that?
@daeckardt (6245)
I don't feel like you sound conceited. I think it is good to take pride in your family roots. It is one of the things I have learned in the education classes I have been taking. It is good to encourage cultural diversity and to accept people for what they are. It is especially important to teach this kind of acceptance to children because otherwise they grow up and don't get along with people of other races well. I guess that is where prejudice and bigotry come from. I'm glad you are proud of your background!
@crystal11 (158)
You mentioned about your father's side of the family. What about your mother's side? I too have friends who are of mixed race and when I ask them their race, they reply , "I am of mixed blood, and proud of it!". He, he cheeky jokers! But really, doesn't matter but if it matters to you, perhaps a mixture of Indian and . . .(from your mother's side). Normally in my side of the world if there's a form to be filled that says "race" and if your father is Indian and your mother is Chinese, "Indian" is used because the father's side is more prevalent.
@erikmama (12934)
My sons father refers to his kids as being black, though I am white they are mixed. Most o the poeple I know usually seperate thmeselves into one category or another for some reason.
@daeckardt (6245)
I know in some places, if there was even one iota of black in your blood, you were considered black even if you looked perfectly white. I heard this and couldn't believe it. I guess it depends on how you think about yourself and what your culture says about race. If you start thinking too hard about it, you might find that people are starting to use it against you. Look at what happened in Rwanda. Even if the people looked alike, if their papers were stamped one way, they could be marked for genocide. Hopefully that kind of thing never happens here.
Yup, i agree. The tendency to categorize has its consequences but perhaps necessary for statistical purposes. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all be one race, "human" :)
@dreamy1 (3815)
Is your father still alive? If so ask him. Are you referring to East Indian or Native American? Phenotypically from your pictures you look "African American." However since race is a social construct you shouldn't get so hung up on it and physical features. I have seen Chinese people look exactly black people I know. I have a friend whose mother is East Indian and father is British (white) and you'd never know they have an Indian mother. Both her and her sister look white. I know people who are Asian and white and they look totally white. I know someone whose mother is black and father is white and he looks Puerto Rican. Yes it is nice to know where you came from and know who your ancestors are so if you are curious just ask your family. They even have DNA tests today that will tell you what your "racial" make up is.
@dreamy1 (3815)
That reminds me in college I knew someone who's mother is Japanese and father from Bangladesh and she looks pure Indian. You'd never know her mother was Japanese. Genetics is interesting you never know how it's going to turn out.
@daeckardt (6245)
I know what you mean about race. My brother is white, his wife is from Taiwan and their son looks Chinese to me, but to his mom and most Chinese he looks more white. Like was mentioned by dreamy1, race is a social construct. You are human and you are beautiful! That is what is important! Don't worry about racial makeup.
@erikmama (12934)
I don't really thinK YOu look Indian. But if your dad is Indian, that would make you mixed with Indian, right? I have bi-racial kids(black and white).My oldest is often said to look like he is Indian. But I pay it no mind. It is really no ones busines what he is mixed with. I know. My kids are beautiful and I love them so thats all that matters to me. If you do not consider yourself to be mixed, is there any reason for it? Always be proud of who you are!
@cream97 (29169)
Hi. erikmama. I don't look like a full bloodied Indian, but I am mixed with Indian. I have never considered myself to be a full bloodied Indian. I just want to know what is my race. I am proud of who I am even if it means me being mixed with Indian.
I think you have the skin tone of a Indian or an African American . African Americans have many shades of skin. And your face and cheekbones are that of an Indian.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi celticeagle. My mother-in-law complimented me on my cheekbones once. She told me that she wished that she had high cheekbones like me. I never thought of myself as having high cheekbones before. Now, I can see that I do have them.
i actually am one quarter cherokee-as far as that goes,you can check your family name by the dawes list and see if any family are on there-i believe you have to have a matrilinial claim to be recognized,but it's a good place to start. if you're not sure it's cherokee,you might be able to ask the BIA (bureau of indian affairs) to help you with tracking family.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Race doesn´t matter now a days, too much. For the ones we care for the heart first. Here at my country we are all mixed, and I think this goes around the whole world, we just need to love us as we are... we won´t have another body. But we can template our Soul. Blessings! ... Dainy
@sacmom (14315)
Sorry cream. I can't help you as I've never been good at figuring out peoples nationalities. I have a hard enough time with my own. LOL For the most part people just look like people to me. Unless they are of one race, I think it's hard for anybody to figure out someone else's race. Take me, for example. I'm of a mixed race. Can you tell what races I am? My husband is also mixed, although he looks Caucasian to me. (I told you I'm no good at this. LOL) I think the only way you can figure it out is to ask people in your family, or do a family tree. That way, you will know for certain. Good luck!
@zweeb82 (5716)
I don't think it really does matter what people say? When you said Indians, from the Asian side we'll automatically think Indians that are from India, haha~!But I know what you mean. Well, all I know is God made everyone beautiful & that includes you so just be happy with thatIn fact I'm a Chinese & my ancestors come from China but if today we're to go back to China, we don't belong there. Even as we stay in Malaysia & we're truly Malaysian, Malaysian born Chinese, still many call us "pendatang" - immigrant from a foreign land occupying their country, just to cause political upheavals
@bounce58 (17526)
I am not an expert on races or nationality, but whatever you are, I think you're beautiful. I am not caucasian, so that is saying something. I think this is also the reason why people keep asking you what you are. Because you look different. I think you should just embrace your indian heritage. I hope somebody is able to help you, from this discussion.
@moondancer (7434)
It is really hard to tell from your photos that you have posted. Your skin tone is that of either African American or Philippina. Although you could certainly be a mix of any two you mentioned. Before you asked this I thought you were African American. I am mostly Cherokee myself. but if you have some family left ask them. You can also so a family search online.
@saphrina (31740)
• South Africa
Hi sweetie. I tend to accept people for what they are not their race, religion and all that other crap that people think of each day. You look like a normal beautiful person to me. I don't know much of indians, but so? You are unique and special in your own way. Keep it that way. TATA.
@zandi458 (27952)
The skin tones of Indians and African Americans are quite similar. But the only difference that make them differentiate one from the other is the physical features. What ever your true race might be, we humans are all the same in the eyes of God regardless of where they come from.