Different fabric ........why??

I own a tanning bed and I use it only sometimes. So the other morning, I decided to get a 10 mins tan. I take off my bathrobe and let it fall on a chair next to the bed. I turn on the bed and I then noticed that my bathrobe was weird. Seems that the left side is one color and the right side is another color.......when under the tanning bed lights!!! Its the same in normal lighting. I got curious and decided to check on other clothes. Well dang.....they're all like this!!!! I also noticed that the part of the clothes that isnt the same as the other will fade faster and make holes faster. Im thinking they do this on purpose. If you dont have access to a tanning bed, try to get a black light and have a look at your clothes and you'll be VERY SURPRISED to find that not only the fabric is NOT the same on one piece of clothing but that you might even see other patterns hiding under the color. How come nobody has noticed this before? Why arent we told about this. Why are they cheating us by using a cheaper type of fabric on one side of the clothes??
@yspmyl (3438)
Hi! When the factory dye the fabric in bulk, there will be different color between the batches. So if they sew the two different batch of fabric together, you will see that the two pieces of fabric are not in the same color. There is another things about the color that not many people know about, is that color actually change under different light sources. Color will change with the light source, some color will look the same under the fluorescence light but when you put in under the light bulk or tungsten light bulk, you will see that the 2 pieces of fabric with 2 different color, that is because in the factory, the 2 batches of fabric are dyed with different type of dyestuff. That is called color metamerism. These type of cases normally will only happen on those cheap fabric or clothes but not to the branded fabric or clothes, because they will ensure that all these are checked and no color different between the different pieces of fabric. It will be real funny if one day you bought a shirt where you see it is the same color for the whole shirt but when you wear the shirt under certain light source, you collar are different color with your sleeves and they are different color with the other part of the clothes.
Hi, Thats exactly what happened, in the same outfit, the left side of my bathrobe was one color under the lights from the tanning bed, a different color than the right side. But if I look at it in daylight, it seems to be the exact same color and fabric. I cant see a difference. It was the same for the collar of a blouse I have as you said, the rest of the shirt is the same color but not the collar, but when I look at it in daylight, it seems to be the same fabric or color. I bought a designer top and its the same, parts of the same top is not the same color under the tanning light but it doesnt show when its under normal lighting or daylight. It seems ALL of my clothes has this. I dont all have cheap clothes and I dont understand why that is. Did it happen to you also?
@yspmyl (3438)
That happen to many clothe maker that do not care about the quality, they will just join every parts of the shirt together. And many people do not realize that there are color different between the different parts of the shirt. You can actually see that in the shop, they always use the same light where you will not notice the color different, but if the shirt is of poor quality, then this type of color different problem will occur. I am actually have studied about the color and dye, so, I know about this problem. From the theory of color, you can see color because the subject that you see like apple in red because it absorb all other color frequency except red, that's why you see red in apple, but when the properties of the apple changed where you see that it is green, the same theory applied. So, color actually is the reflectance of the frequency.
I know that the color can be different depending on the light but Im shocked to find out that whoever is making the clothes is NOT paying attention to make sure they provide us with the same quality in a same piece of clothing. I dont think it has to do with color only, I suspect it might have to do with the "quality" of the fabric also. Thanks for enlightening me, it was very interesting!!
@savypat (20248)
Now you scare me. I'm going to get my black light out and check all my cloths. I don't think I have been aware of more wear and tear on one side of my cloths.
I sure hope more people will do this test and we need to do something and not accept this anymore. Im thinking it should work with a black light, thats not what I used, I used my tanning bed. Well get your black light out and let me know what you find please?? Thanks!
• Marion, Kansas
This is the first time I have ever heard anything like this. I can see that things sometimes will get over dyed or re dyed. I think that the dying process does make things wear out faster.
I was shocked when I saw this on my bathrobe and then checked all my clothes to find out that it was the same with ALL of my clothes!!!! I dont think it has to do with the dye but more with the quality of the fabric used. So it would mean that one part of your shirt is good quality fabric and the other part is poor quality. Check your clothes carefully with your eyes clothes since you dont have access to a black light and you'll notice a difference in the texture of the fabric. Its easier to "feel" with our eyes clothes. You'll notice that it doesnt feel the same on a same piece of clothing if you check the right side versus the left side. Im still in shock and cant understand why its going on!! Thanks for replying!