The reach of money

Chile
Last night I was mylotting and a virtual friend of mine asked me for $20. I sent them through paypal. He said he´d pay it back, but as I know he won´t, I sent it as a gift. He said he needed the money for food, but I know that includes beer and ciggies. I´m aware of that and I could have said no and I didn´t. I am also aware that he lives in a richer country than mine and his welfare money is a lot bigger than my retirement. Ok to that too. But today I received a letter from the World Food Programme (which sponsors www.freerice.com). The newsletter said about Haiti that : " Each $5 you donate gives supplementary nutrition to an infant for a whole year." " Each $50 provides meals to a child for the entire school year." "70 - 80% of Haitians remain unemployed one year after the earthquake. Cash and Food for Work projects are creating jobs for tens of thousands of Haitians and helping to rebuild the country. $100 can kick start a local Cash and Food for Work programme." I cannot take back the $20 I gave. And I´m not rich. But I saw yesterday my well fed baby granddaughter and I will send for the moment $5 thinking of her. I call her Miss Piggy and she is sunny and lovely. She lives in a nice house and has food, shelter, toys and love. Donations can be given with paypal. I´ll do that insttead of using my credit card. THe small letter says that in some countries (not mine) donations are tax deductible. Check the World Food Programme if you are interested. It just occured to me that this mail could be called "promoting" but I don´t care. I hope it reaches my friends before it gets deleted. I hope you can see the post. If not, PM me and I´ll send the email Take care, all of you!!!
@jak2010 (1550)
• Papua New Guinea
This is very kind of you, you can give even you can not afford it, you have got a good heart. God bless.
I can afford it, friend. That´s why I donated the money. $5 means an hour of reading near a pool at Aruba instead of losing some money at a casino. For hungry people it means much more. I think that most of us that have internet also have the means of aiding others. I downloaded the freerice toolbar and donate 5000 grains of rice each day by just browsing the net at anything I want to know. It´s esay and free and uses yahoo so there´s many links to see.
@LaDeBoheme (1961)
You are very generous indeed, marguicha. Can I be your virtual friend? Of course, I'm kidding. I am aware of the Freerice program. It went online in 2007. I have specific charities I regularly donate to. Contributions are tax-deductible in the US, but they generally have to be very large donations to amount to much of a deduction.
You are right about taxes, of course. What could you deduct from a $5 donation? I don´t even pay taxes as I am below the earning limit to pay.
I have a soft heart for children and it really saddens me as well to see malnourished children all over the world. It saddens me that there are people who are lucky enough to at most have a meal a day. I'm not from a rich country as well but helping such programs would really be awesome.
@bunnybon7 (32484)
• Holiday, Florida
what a sweet wonderful human you are. Jesus must love you very much. well i hope it doesnt get deleted. sometimes i wonder if some mechanical part of mylot sees that word and just does it. because ive just seen a friends discussion go that had no reason on it what so ever. except it had that word in it and even the title. so i hope this reaches some before that happens.
@JohnMach (556)
I have heard of the saying "Give a man a fish and he will have a meal for the day. Teach the man how to fish and he will have meal for the lifetime." You should have just taught him how to get money so he will have meal for a lifetime.