Is It Expensive Going To Local Sporting Events?

@Janey1966 (24126)
Carlisle, England
Where we sit in Carlisle's ground it's £19 each for an adult ticket which - I suppose, is the average for League One. Blackpool (where I am from) are in the Premier League and it's about £6 extra but tickets vary depending on where you want to sit in the ground, as it is at Carlisle, of course. Carlisle still has a Paddock where people can stand but the tickets there are only a couple of pounds cheaper..and you're exposed to the wind and rain there. No thanks! My point is; it's not cheap is it? Season tickets for the home games go up in price every year so we didn't get them this time, mainly due to the fact we don't go to see Tuesday night games. I'm wondering if it is expensive everywhere to see your favourite team? It doesn't have to be soccer; it could be any sport..cricket, tennis, anything. I'd like to know if your "club" has incentives..you know like money off vouchers or family tickets. Carlisle is a bit slow on the uptake with promotions. The Club is not very good at "selling itself" and trying to get more fans in. Currently, our attendances hover around the 5,000 mark. Today it was nearer 7,000 but Sheffield Wednesday brought about 1,200 to swell the numbers. Unfortunately, Carlisle lost..again so the Sheff Wed fans went away happy. No wonder they were making the most noise!
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
It can be difficult getting to see my favourite football team play (Remember the Magpies) as they are in Melbourne and usually only play in Queensland once a year, so if I was to fly to their games it would get terribly expensive! Luckily this year they are playing in my city as we have our own team in the competition this year. I still have 144 days to wait until then though! It will be a sell out as most Collingwood games are. They can get 80,000 to a normal club game at the MCG where they play most of their home games. Our stadium is still not complete, but only a month from being finished and I think it only holds around 40,000 people, so it will sell out for sure. I cannot find any info on ticketing prices for the game as it is too far away yet, but I am guessing it will be around $30 per adult ticket maybe? It is $21 for a general admission ticket to the pre season competition which is on now.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Wow, if those prices are correct it's not bad is it? What would it be in "proper" money (only joking) lol.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
1.00 AUD = 0.626065 "Proper Money" so $21 convict dollars equals 13 of you upper class currency!
@hofferp (4739)
I don't go to professional sports games (major or minor league), mostly because they're not that close (although there is a minor league baseball team in El Paso, TX, about 40 miles away). The nearest pro ball is Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, San Diego and LA; all about 8-11 hours away. And if I was there, I doubt I could find a "cheap" ticket. I think all the pro sports games are too expensive. Now, we do have a university in town and you can get season tickets for women's and men's basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, etc. This year, Mom bought us season tickets to the women's basketball games. Not very many people show up (1000 or so), but the tickets are a whole lot cheaper than they are for the men's games. I think Mom paid about $50 for the season and that's not bad at all. I've made every game but one, and our women aren't doing as well as they should. They're very talented, but just can't seem to get it together. I blame the coach...
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Wow, that is cheap! I couldn't even tell you who our nearest basketball team is..probably Newcastle, I would think. That's about 45 miles away, something like that. It sounds like fun going to see something a bit different (well, it would be for me anyway) although I do like the banter at footy games. It can be quite entertaining listening to the guys getting all worked up. One guy sat next to me apologised the other week for swearing and getting up out of his seat, gesticulating at the referee. I just smiled and said, "It's ok." I was tempted to say, "I do the swearing bit all the time" but stopped myself and looked all demure and innocent instead lol.
@hofferp (4739)
Yeah, my Mom and I enjoy the ladies' games. We're not crazy about watching the guys. There's too much me me and not enough team play in mens' basketball. But our guys are doing better than the gals. But then their tickets are three times higher...
The most inexpensive sports to view here are the ones your kids are in. Provided you can afford your kids to participate. Otherwise even simple outings here can cost $100-200 to a professional baseball game or even a trip to the zoo. SO many of these places say "we're family friendly" but they are not budget friendly!
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Wow, I never knew baseball games could be so expensive. I don't have kids of my own but it must be a nightmare trying to figure out the best places to take them without being ripped off. Then you've got the fuel on top of that for the car..no doubt parking charges as well. It makes me come out in a cold sweat just thinking about it!
@thekelz (277)
It's £20 a game for Huddersfield Town, I'm a season Ticket holder and it was £240 this year, wich is not too bad, just over a tenner a game. However I do think £20 is a lot of money for one game and as I sure you know there is a lot of rubbish football played in league 1. Most away teams just come to Town to not lose, so plenty of games are a bit dull.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Wow, how I wished Huddersfield had got to the JTP Trophy Final cos they're a MILES better team than Carlisle my friend! I've been to your ground and I like it very much..not like our dump!! Our season ticket is about £100 dearer than yours so I think it's even more of a rip-off now. Thank God we don't have them this time!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I am going to guess that £19 is not that expensive when it comes to football matches. I am not a footie fan at all but my nephew is press officer for a well known club and it costs at least £30 to see them play. He gets into away matches for free of course but his parents go too and it costs them hundreds of pounds a season to sit on freezing terraces watching their team get hammered again. LOL. The last sporting event that I went to was the Singapore F1 Grand Prix in 2008. The tickets were free courtesy of my BIL but the cost to get there was £600 each! LOL.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Well I think F1 is a rip-off full-stop. However, if someone gave me free tickets for Silverstone, I wouldn't say no lol. £19 may not be expensive to someone living down south but, please bear in mind, the wages up here are very poor. Add to that family living, HAVING to get around in a car because the public transport is so bad, bills that are just as expensive here as elsewhere..you know, it all mounts up. If we had the fancy London wages we'd be laughing!
In our city there is an indoor gymnasium.Where there have been several table tennis match before,I have never seen one,so I don't know how much the admission is.I don't like ball games.I have a taste for watching martial arts.Soccer isn't popularized here so It to be blunt stinks .
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Martial arts, eh? Well, that's certainly different.