How to get him to let go

@savypat (20248)
As most of you know we live on a small ranch, and every ranch or farm collects machines that are no longer in use, they sit in that portion of the ranch no one goes to and are pretty soon forgotten. Along came a man, an angel, who wanted to haul away our metal and Hubby says no way. I say why not, welllllll he says we may need it someday, I say come on, it's sat there for years and is only a danger to small children and an eyesore. Stale mate. How can I win this one?
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
Have it hauled away when he's not home?
@savypat (20248)
Tried that, until I had it taken away he had forgotten all about it, now he will never let me forget about it. Marriage, fun and games.
@Nadinest1 (2042)
What if your husband was offered money for his scrap metal? Maybe that will change his mind. I know there are people who will take your metal, but there are also people who will PAY for the scrap metal. Good luck....because I have a husband who feels the same way about lots of old things.
@paula27661 (15900)
If your husband is anything like mine, he is very easy going and doesn’t object to most of the things I want to do but if he decides something is a no no he is impossible to shift! Some people have a hard time letting go of stuff they no longer use. I would try to talk him around or if you’re willing to chance it you could have the machinery removed when he is not at home and tell him in a few months’ time although that suggestion may be a tad risky LOL!
That reminds me so much of a television show that my husband and I are hopelessly addicted to. We watch American Pickers on Monday nights and it just amazes me that there are people that the pickers will go to that will say that they have all kinds of things that they haven't seen in years, decades in some situations and when the pickers discover the things and want to buy them the people won't let go of them for whatever reason. I think that the only way to get him to let go is that he has to be ready to let go.
@louievill (15553)
It's just hard to let go of certain things sometimes, maybe your hubby is in a way attached to it or thinks he has a need for it and he could be right, men sometimes figure out a way to fix certain things if they feel like doing so, anyway do you watch " American Pickers "? wow some of those old stuff could actually be a gold mine waiting to be discovered
@Lore2009 (7389)
Are they going to give you money for it? If so, you can say you can get a new one when the time comes.
• Marion, Kansas
If you figure this one out please let me know. Of course the man who wanted to haul away the metal wants to get salvage money for it, and it is well worth it. You should see the junk in my yard, in the city. Son and hubby both have tons of stuff. I think the main argument with your husband would be to tell him that you may not be able to get it done for free when you decide it is time to get rid of it. You could even pull a guilt thing and say that he sure would not want you to have to deal with it if he were to become incapacitated.
@gabs8513 (48803)
That is always the way lol, for years it is forgotten about but then when you want to get rid they do not let you because maybe one Day it is needed lol I really do not know how you can get round this one I have no Idea