Culture shock!

Japan seems to be quite the opposite of America, yet some things they follow Western traditions. But not all regions of the island is like that, where are some places you visited that you felt extreme culture shock and what placed did you feel at home, if at all?
@inertia4 (27713)
Well if you have ever been in New York City, believe me culture shock is all around you. This city is a melting pot of culture and I mean all kinds. If you ever want to visit the world in one place then this is the place to be. There are no normalities here, it's not like the Brady Bunch. It's real life.
@Lore2009 (7389)
I have visited Japan too and felt a lot of culture shock: the amount of time we spend to commute; they think an hour is a short distance!, when we lost our travel money, the police was not as enthusiastic to serve justice, when I fell down between the train and platform, business men snared at me instead of help me. When I visited Baja California, I was surprised at how you had to bribe the police to free yourself from tickets and violations.
I've never been to an other country but even within the United States there are wide differences just going from state. I have lived in Texas most of my life but did have the oppurtunity to live for a short while in a North western state and it was very much culture shock for me. I felt totally out of place even though I loved the beautiful mountains and even the snow. The people are very much different from Texans and they can spot an outsider from afar off. I have to say they were pretty friendly to a degree but I always knew I was an outsider.They did like to hear us talk though, they thought our accents were pretty cool. I didn't even think I had much of an accent but they just loved to hear us talk I also had the chance to live in the New England states for a short time. Now, there the peoople were not so friendly at all. It was a total culture shock in all ways. The people didn't like outsiders at all and didn't hesitate to let it be known in the way they acted toward you. They thought Texans were backwoods hicks. The land was beautiful but I still felt extremely homesick the whole time I was there, and very much out of place and unwanted. It would be a nice place to visit, as a tourist, I think but I would never want to try and live there again.
@staria (2782)
Never been to other countries before but the Philippines has a wide range of culture too, since it consists of thousand islands. There are different tribes thus different cultures are followed. The idea is that we just need to respect their culture as well as their views about things. That is their heritage and these traditions rooted from their ancestors.
@jazel_juan (15767)
bad for me i have not yet been through any other country, just in some parts of the philippines..and culture shock? a bit but i tend to easily adapt and understand the environment around me. lol