Make your wifi Laptop/Computer WiFi Zone !! ??

@akp100 (13328)
hello friends.. Hi I have read somewhere that we can use our wife laptop as wifi zone. I have tried this thing too but using software. www.connectify.me Here is the link.. and i had use this software to do same thing.. But my friend was telling me that we can do it by manually settings too without any software. Well I am good with computers but not with networking. So is this true.. If yes then can anybody tell me how can we do that ??
@mysdianait (64058)
Is that legal? If I pay for my connection and then you and all your friends come and sit outside my house with your laptops and download that and connect up onto my connection... that's not fair!
@akp100 (13328)
Hi Don't worry i will not come at your door.. But there is nothing illegal about that.. I mean i am having laptop with wifi facility. Now if I am having internet than i can make my laptop as wifi zone so other wifi devices can also connect to internet. But we can set key/password for it.. So you can use password for it to protect your Internet from me and your other friends...
@mysdianait (64058)
Ah ok! I will let you use mine if you come inside but not from the doorstep ok?
@akp100 (13328)
Ahh That's a great offer.. Then we will able do mylotting together...
Hi akp, What you are speaking of is called a bridge connection. You set up the bridge connection on your laptop to allow your laptop to be the main sharing point for all other devices. See this link as it would be too much typing and confusing for me to explain how to do it: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ You will be setting up a network with the bridge. I hope this helps.
@akp100 (13328)
Hi Hardworkingurl.. Thanks for sharing links. They are helpful.. Well i have heard about this bridge connection.. In fact i had studied it during my college days.. But i don't remember anything. Well i didn't think that time that i will do something like that in practical...
Hi Misterwit, you can make your desktop wifi enabled if it has the wifi access port, if not then you can get a wifi access card about $15, to connect wifi. You can only connect to someone elses network if they do have not applied a password. For instance when I was down for my 9 days I was able to see all the internet connections in my neighborhood but I was not able to connect to the internet because they have them password protected. Same as mine anyone can see my connection but I have it password protected. Reason why most do this is that if it were not pword protected then anyone can connect and while I am surfing the net it will cause way too much traffic and slow me down, second we would be prone to insecurity and when I surf I would be potentially at risk. But some do not have passwords on theirs.
@akp100 (13328)
@hardworkinggurl.. I want to ask something.. Suppose somebody haven't put password for their wifi. So if I used that Internet by my laptop without their permission(as they don't having password) then is this illegal ???
@sunnycool (12737)
Atlast you found a solution Now that you have explained as how we can make ones wife's laptop a wifi zone ... gonna give it a try
@akp100 (13328)
Currently even i can't explained as i am still unmarried.. ( that was a typo lol..) But this software will also work on your wife's (or may be future wife) laptop too.. So after a typo its still not wrong.. By the way where were you.. See you after long time..
@sunnycool (12737)
Imagine if one has more than one wife ... probably he can start providing intranet services to more people I'm a bit busy mastering Oracle
@akp100 (13328)
Oracle.. That's good.. Hope to see you again here on mylot like before (a hyper active one) Well in that case one can provide wifi Internet service to whole city..
@topffer (34091)
• France
Hello AKP, I am using a wi-fi router to do this, and I am trying to find an interest to convert a laptop into a wi-fi router. I would have been interested last summer to convert my phone in a wi-fi router for my laptop to share the internet connection, but I did not found a software to do it with my old smartphone. But where is the interest to convert a laptop in a wi-fi router ? To share the local files by FTP ? I have a Palm LifeDrive not able to use my WPA-TSK2 wi-fi, so I had to connect it to the public part of the router. To do this I had to type at each connection my login/password, and it was boring. I configured a Bluetooth LAN sharing the internet connection of my netbook, et voilà ! So, why not a bluetooth network ? I would have tried this software to see its possibilities, but I cannot : I have no computer with Windows 7. What are the possibilities of this software ? Can you share an Internet connection, using the laptop like a relay, or only local files ?
@akp100 (13328)
Hi topffer Well using our smart phone as wifi zone .. My friend having that kind of software in his smart phone.. i guess that software name is 'Joikuspot'..(not sure).. I had never tried it as i am not having wifi phone. About software..first what do you mean by laptop like a relay!!?? I have use this software to use my laptop as wifi spot. And i do get success in it.. I mean i am able to surf on my iphone and other laptop too.
@topffer (34091)
• France
I am probably stoopÿd today. What I do not understand is : from where the Internet comes ? Have you a 3G key on the laptop, is it connected with a cable ?
@akp100 (13328)
Well I am using my mobile internet via USB cable.. And same for making my laptop as wifi spot.
@prince05 (92)
yes connectify really works...but it is still very unstable...sometimes connection just drops off.. and what's worst is it only works with windows 7. i got 2 laptops at home and a few gadgets that has wifi. IM currently using a USB dongle to have internet connection so in order to share my internet with my other gadgets im using connectify on my windows 7 laptop. really works but they have to work it out to make it more stable..
@akp100 (13328)
Yes i guess it's only works with windows 7 only.. But i guess there should be similar software for other OS too.. I mean there may be any software like this which works for windows xp too.
@jazel_juan (15767)
i am not a computer wiz or something but i know we can share connectivity.. like here in the office the other department has wifi connections and through our laptop we can access their connection given we know the password.
@akp100 (13328)
Well wifi in the offices is common ... But this is something different.. i mean if your laptop having wifi facility and if you having Internet then you can use your laptop as wifi spot at your home. And other wifi devices like computers and mobiles can use Your internet using wifi.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi. akp100. This is the first time that I have heard about this. I will keep this information in mind though. Thanks! I wonder if this connection has an ample amount of speed to it?
@akp100 (13328)
Well speed of Internet will be depend on your service provider.. It will be not decrease if you used this for this software.