Have you ever sent your kids off to camp?

I just got a pamphlet in the mail today from my YMCA about their youth camp. They have day camp, and residential camp. They're both the same price. Day camp is 2 weeks long, with the option of 1 sleepover night. Resident camp is one week long.. and it's a sleepover every night! It is really expensive of course.. but I typically qualify for financial aid through my YMCA.. I only pay half price for a family membership, so it's possible they'll give me a price reduction for the camp. If so, I might like to send my older 3 to the residential camp for a week. I remember going to camp when I was a kid.. I was maybe 7 or 8 and stayed at the camp for a full week. I thought it was a lot of fun. I'd love for my kids to have that experience. Have your kids ever gone to a youth camp where they stayed for a full week, or even just an overnight? Did they enjoy it? If you could afford it, would this be something you'd consider doing?
@GreenMoo (11842)
Mine never have, but I think my eldest would really enjoy it if I could find one. I'd have no worries sending him as I think it's a great opportunity for kids to try new things. He's stayed overnight at other events, so I know there's no problem in that respect. He stayed in our local library overnight last year for some sort of book event. I never did work out how a library linked in with a sleep in, but he really enjoyed himself which is the important thing. I saw some great camps in the UK last year for his age range which were all about exciting sports. It had some funding too so I could have afforded it. He'd have loved it but none of the dates worked for us.
Thus far I have no plans for this summer.. so if I'm able to register the kids I'll know well in advance not to make plans for that week. Downside is they'll each need a physical now.. or I at least need to stop at the doctor's office to get a quick signature on these forms if they've had a phyisical in the last 2 years.. sometimes these little things can be such a pain in the butt!
@jillhill (37384)
All my kids went to camp. My oldest went to girl scout camp and also church camp...my youngest daughter went to four years of summer science including two trips for three weeks to northern Minnesota...my son went to four years of boy scout camp and one trip to Canada with youth for Christ...they all have wonderful times...made good friend and memories.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
The only camp my son went to was football camp but that was mandtory, the oldest son never went to camp' I use to go to church camp every summer for years. I never did want to go & then never wanted to come home. I think it's a good thing for kids.
I'm going to try really hard to get my kids into this camp.. but the application process is not easy! I need to see if they've had a physical in the past 2 years, and if not I need to schedule them for one.. and I need their doctor to sign off on some paper work before even turning in the application for the reduced fee. Argh!
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
I hope they get to go & have a real big time.
My kids went to church camp for several years and they did enjoy it. If you can do it, then I think it would be great for them.
I'm currently filling out the forms to see if I can get the prices reduced. Then I'll go from there. I'm really excited about the idea, I think they'll love it!
When she was in college my daughter actually went to the Seattle area to be a camp counselor in our denominations big church camp in the area. She was in the area that was a horse camp and learned to care for the horses and was responsible for the cabin and the younger girls who were there. She organized chores and wrote Bible Studies and had a wonderful time. I certainly hope this works for your kiddos.
@ravinskye (8242)
My kids have never been to camp. I've often thought about sending them but any time I've looked into it it has just been too expensive. I never went to camp when I was a kid either. I always thought it would be fun. I wish we had a YMCA close to us. Maybe we do, I never looked into it. I'm not sure if my kids would go to camp. They tend to only agree to try anything if one of their friends is doing it too.
Thankfully my kids are open to trying just about anything. I think they'll love it. I hope I can get the reduced rates!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
The only one of mine that went to camp was my daughter when she was about nine years old. Oh, when she was about 10 she went on a camp trip to Cuba and then as a teenager went to another Island on a trip organised by our Church. She really enjoyed this. Our sons were at Boarding School so they just wanted to be home with us on holidays. I did not want them to go to a Boarding school and fought bitterly with my husband on this, But he had been at a Boarding School and said that the experience would make men of them. I was speaking just a few days ago to my son who was out from England and told him that I still felt guilt that I had given in on this topic with is father. He was so surprised and said that it was the best thing that had ever happened to him and that he and his brothers were glad of this experience. I felt a bit better when he told me that. Blessings
I wish I could afford a boarding school, LOL!
@bunnybon7 (35893)
• Holiday, Florida
maybe most have a good experience. i never went but i sent my oldest to a week long camp once and he did not like it. he came home sick and never wanted to go again. but, he always was one that didnt like being away from mom. maybe that was the problem as he was about 8 or 9 yrs i think. hes the one i live with now.
I do not think my kids will miss being home very much.. I think they'll love it.
I havent set my kids to camp and probably never will be able to afford to. When I was young I always wanted to go to camp it was like he coolest thing I thought. The camps are very expensive. I like to spend as much time with my kids as possible so I wouldnt want to send them to camp and not see them. Even at 6 I know that my daughter would love it though shes very outgoing. When my ex and I were together with his income I only had to pay $5 a month for a family membership to the ymca. That is an awesome thing but I just wouldnt really have time to ever go there as there isnt one very close to us so I didnt bother doing the membership.
I've been a member for over a year, it's how I lost weight. Without the reduced rate I would never be able to afford it.. but I will try my best!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Two of them have been to overnight field trips, but no camp. I've mentioned it in the past, and there's been no interest.
I probably will not mention this to my kids, not anytime soon anyway. First I need to be sure I can afford it and get them registered. Then I will probably continue to wait as I don't want them getting too excited long before it's time to go to camp!
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya KMW, My Kids have gone to Holiday Camps because I could not afford to take them on Holiday like I wanted to. I really wanted to go with them so I stayed at Home and they went off and had a great time to. On every one they went to they wanted to go again so for three or four years they were going all over the place in this side of the Country to some of the most beautiful Country Spots. They came back suntanned and much more full of health and vigour. So it made it up for me to see them so well. I did not enjoy the break away from them but I was really glad that they were able to learn how to do other things too and meet new Friends.
@bounce58 (17524)
My kids go to taekwondo, and once in a while they would have sleep over camps at the studio. They love it as they could be with their friends. They just play around on the soft floor, watch a movie, and sleep where they practice. Just the other day, my son said he found a computer games-camp. I'm not really sure if it were true, but I think that would be fun for him.
@jazel_juan (15767)
i am wishing we have that sort of camps here, i used to watch movies and i saw that in America, there are camps like basketball camp, or something but we do not hve there but i would love my children to experience such..to stay in cabins near lakes, be able to build a bonfire..and be with other kids too. But from where i am, it is difficult for some security reasons.