Is the movies a date spot?

Going to a movie theater for a FIRST date is my biggest turn off. I feel like there is no way you really get to know someone other than the reactions they make of the movie, so I don't really see why we should go, we don't say a word to each other in the movies and just watch. Does the movies help you "loosen" up to be with your date or do you think it's a waste of time? If you think watching movies for a first date is good, what kind of movies would you recommend a couple for their first date goes to see?
I agree with you. If you want to get acquainted with someone the movie theater is not the place to do it. It can be good if you have time before or after or both to talk and discuss the movie and other interests. A lot of people do think it is a good date spot, though. I had rather do something active and be able to look my date in the eyes and see what he thinks.
@babyEj (1525)
Point ...point!! you're right it should be more activities to do to heighten the first stage of getting to know each other. I have some thoughts that going to the movie on the first date sets you up in a danger zone. Movie theater is dark and maniac dates are free to take opportunity.. so girls,,,, stay away from darkness because they say in darkness there's a lot of freedom...lol!!
Going to the movies on a first date is a Huge Bad Idea. You two are strangers. You van't know if you have anything in common yet. a first date should be somewhere you two can sit and talk. Not in a dark room where All your attention is on the screen.After that first date and you two Know you both like action films or romantic comedies, Then make the next date a movie and dinner. See the movie and discuss it over dinner.
I think going some place where it is dark on the first date is really not good. Aside from you can't really get to know each other well, there are men who really take advantage of the darkness. Some wants to get to kiss you or hug you on the first date. Some are just perverts. Going to the movies is no way near my first choice of a date.
@Lore2009 (7389)
Interesting topic! A lot of different opinions I see browsing through the responses, hehe. But, I must say, I agree with you! Especially if you don't know the person too well. On the first date, I'd like to get to know that person better. I don't even really like going to the theaters anymore anyway.
@sjvenden27 (1850)
If you both are interested in movies its a way to relaxe together.. The first date can be so nerve racking that even if you do an activity that allows more interactions right away you may say or do something that sends the wrong impression, which may or may not help or hurt the new relationship/friendship... I would suggest a movie and then may be a light dinner afterwards... this way you both can talk about the movie. and then when your more comfortable with the situation you can talk more about the things that really matter... Which movie to see? A movie that you both would be interested in, go a little bit eariler to the movie and walk along the movie posters and decide there together... You may be surpised what you can learn about a person just by the type of movies they are and are not interested in.. Good Luck
@Porcospino (16522)
• Denmark
If you only watch a movie together you don't really get the chance to talk and get to know each other on the first date, and I would prefer to combine the movie with something else. I once went on a date where we went out for dinner first and went to see a movie later in the evening and we had a nice time together together on our first date. Another option could be a movie first and a drink afterwards. That way we could be still be able to talk and get to know eachother, and if it was hard to find something to talk about at first we would be able to talk about the movie.
@sunny5u (2072)
I don't suggest movies at all , as i eel its really a time waste, if you have time and getting bored then ok you can opt or a movie but you can't talk to your friend or so, all that you have to do is sit silent and watch the movie and in the interval time eat some stuff that's it, going to some ride or somethings does a good thing i suppose.
@inertia4 (27582)
I think going to a movie is a good date, everyone likes movies. When I would go to a movie i didn't just go to a movie, I would either go to dinner before or after the movie. The movie is entertainment and something to talk about. It's always good to have a conversation about something and talking about a movie is a good ice breaker.
@sender621 (14956)
Going to a movie together is a grea way to spend a date. this is especially helpful in breaking the ice of a first date. Just watching the movie together can help you relax and be yourself with that person. the impression you make on each other could be the deciding factor for a second date. Let the movies help you out!
Well i think it's not a very good spot for starters. When people get to know each other well with their interests also then it can be a good place to have some privacy and enjoy watching together. It can be a comedy or a romance or any kind of movie in which both should be comfortable with! Cheers!
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
Actually I loved going to the movies with my boyfriend (who is an ex now) I don't know if it was him or because of my love for movies, I really enjoyed it. Well for the first date it might not be a good idea but this friend of mine went to a blind date to the movies and she said she really enjoyed it. So i guess it depends on the person.
Oh yeah no it would not be the ideal place for a first date at all. It would be like two strangers sitting next to each other. First dates will give us an idea whether we actually could like the person or not and seeing a movie, you can't even chat with one another. I would say perhaps a coffee place or a nice restaurant and maybe not for a full meal, but snacks and or maybe a drink. Some where you can actually loosen up and discuss everything from under the sun. Well not so deep but a place to get to be able to see one others personality, character and if there is any chemistry.
@nikramos (701)
it can get really boring, i agree but i guess its something you can do to ease the awkward feeling of being with someone for the first time as a date. maybe after the movie they can talk about it over dinner. at least they dont have to push themselves to talk about things too personal on their first date. i guess watching a comedy flick is better. laughing it out with your date would be one way to loosen up with each other.
@ebony37 (18)
I think going to the movies as a first date would be the perfect ice breaker. Although there will be no conversation during the movie, the two of you will have something to talk about after the movie possible during dinner. I would suggest a comedy or a suspense movie for the first date.