My Boss, Minnie The Cat

@Maggiepie (7821)
Miss Miniver, "Minnie" for short, mugs me early every morning for a treat. I keep telling her "It's not time yet!" A few minutes later, my furry alarm clock is giving me the "is it time yet? Huh? Is it?" routine. I give it to her at 7 A.M., but she's always hopeful. She bites. HARD. I once had a bite bad enough I called 911. Blood was shooting from my hand. Most expensive Band Aid I've ever bought. I'm pretty sure the ambulance guys found it funny, though they were polite enough not to show it. I know when I realized they didn't find it serious enough to take me to the hospital, it struck me as funny, too. When I first discovered cats as a small child, I began to play with them as I was entirely smitten with their charm. Of course, I quickly found out about those needle-sharp itty claws...& I thought about that, & decided they were worth it, & never looked back. Minnie is an exceptional cat in several ways, & I'm certain she was "forgotten" when her former owners moved from my complex due to her biting habit. I'm just as careful as I can be, but she still gets me now & again. Why do I keep her? Because of moments like this: Minnie loves to be wherever I am. So if her water is in another room, she'll sit by me for hours, & become dehydrated. To aid her, I started putting some on my bedside table, which is where I am most of the time (when I'm not on the computer...). But yesterday, I was in the bathroom showering, & she came in. She's far too prim & proper to drink from the commode, plus she is always alarmed when I take a shower. She sits beside the tub & cries, "MOOOoooOOOMMM! How can you stand getting wet all over like that! What if you DROOOoooowwwwnnn?!?" I've learned to ignore it. When I pulled back the curtain, as always, she was there, looking worried. But yesterday, she was also thirsty, & she hopped up on the side of the tub & began licking the water off my knee! DANG but that tickled!!! Ye gads! I laughingly pushed her gently away before I could lose my balance, & she followed me to the bedroom, hopped up onto the bedside table, purred at me, then took a long drink from her cup there. It was then I remembered she also likes to drink from my lightly leaking tub faucet. She hadn't been worried about me this time--she was upset because I was hogging all the water! I gave her lots of pets & she relaxed. That's why. Moments like that. She keeps me laughing, & happy. Maggiepie “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
One of my cats nips, but never hard enough to draw blood. I love the funny things they do. Keeps me going...
@Maggiepie (7821)
I, too. We're a weird bunch, we cat lovers, ain't we? Maggiepie "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" ~ Source unknown
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Speak for yourself. lol
@Maggiepie (7821)
Thought I was! Okay, yer right; I [i]did say we... Maggiepie "There ain't enough space for him an' his ego t'be in th' same room at th' same time." ~ "Mags," fictional character from author Mercedes Lackey, in "Intrigues"
@ElicBxn (60810)
That Minnie of yours is a piece of work. She's gotten me a few times, but at least she does generally give a tiny warning, unlike my Booboo who does it because he's HAPPY! And while you got an expensive bandaid from her, I've had a few runs to the hospital with mine!
@Maggiepie (7821)
Yes, I've memorized her warning signs! Hey--I almost did go to the hospital that time! And later on, when she really bit me--several times!--I really should've gone to the hospital! Those wounds took a long time to heal. I do seem to recall the nurse bandaging my hand here at home, though... Maggiepie “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~ Thomas Jefferson[/i]
@ElicBxn (60810)
I didn't think you needed to go to the hospital, but it probably was painful using the walker with the bites...
@Maggiepie (7821)
Yep, yep, yep, yep-pers. T'was...
@lilaclady (28240)
cats are the most wonderful creatures, i honestly think they are so much cleverer the we people, they know how to get what they want and they know how to keep their independents and get waited on..very clever indeed,,your Minnie sounds gorgeous.
@Maggiepie (7821)
She's a B&W "tuxedo" style cat. Someone neutered her before she came into my life. She's very pretty. Go see my pictures, she's in there lying on my bed, with her legs daintily crossed, atop my pillow. And yes, I agree; I think they're a lot more clever than many of us humans! Maggiepie “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~ Thomas Jefferson[/i]
@lilaclady (28240)
I have a tuxedo cat too, she came to me after her original owner passed away....
@Maggiepie (7821)
I've got a deep fondness for them. I remember others' tuxy cats I've known & liked. Two, especially, in East London, who are very large, & who, bright & early every morning came thudding up the stairs "murrdling" (that's my word for a sort of trilling noise that's a cross between purring & meowing) & hopped up on my bed to greet me! They were so sweet & fluffy! My favorite cats, though, are orange American Shorthairs, with those stripes! They're invariably loving & cuddly, & get very attached to one! But I love all cats, regardless of type or color, young or old, banged up with scars or handsome! Doesn't matter. I see one, & I instantly need to pet it! Maggiepie “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~ Thomas Jefferson[/i]
• Saint Lucia
Well my twinkle loves to bite when she doesn't get her way.She is always wanting a meal whenever someone heads to the kitchen.I love her and she is so full of funny antics.She lays on the very spot that she knows i sleeps in or she sleeps in the middle of the bed. She looks at you differently when she doesn't gets her way. Cats are wonderful creatures.
@Maggiepie (7821)
But...other than ferals (& even then, to some extent!)...isn't that every house cat? Seriously! We call ourselves their owners, but then, who serves whom? Yes, they are "full of funny antics," & are very loving, if not constantly cuddly. I have known my share of "Velcro" cats! You know, ones that MUST be with you all the time? Minnie is very nearly that...but she doesn't sleep in the middle of the bed, as most cats I've known do. I'll give her that. She usually sleeps on my pillow (in the middle of it! Ha!), or at my feet. Her thing when she doesn't get her way is either to growl (such as when I've petted her for too long..."Enough, already, Mom!), or to give me her patented "I'm a poor, abused, staaaaarrrving kitty & you don't looooove me any more" look, which nearly always makes me give in, I feel so guilty! Yeah...she knows who's the boss, here! "Wonderful creatures," indeed! Maggiepie "There ain't enough space for him an' his ego t'be in th' same room at th' same time." ~ "Mags," fictional character from author Mercedes Lackey, in "Intrigues"
@cher913 (25893)
your cat sounds like my moms cat. she is very funny like taht and starts waking my mom up 5:00 am because she is 'bored'. my cat is better, she wont meow til she sees you move in bed. everytime i walk into the kitchen though, she thinks it is snack time.
@Maggiepie (7821)
That last bit is pretty much every cat! Elic & I know that we may as well let her sniff the can of green beans or beets, because otherwise she'll be positive we're keeping some fabulous treat from her! Is there an American cat that lives that doesn't hear that can opener whirring from 6 rooms away, & come running? Ha! Not that I've ever met! Maggiepie "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" ~ Source unknown
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya MP, A lovely narration about your Cat, so descriptive as well. I can just see what she does every Morning the way you have written it like it´s straight out of a Diary that you might write. Minnie really cares for you and loves that is there for anyone to see. She needs you even though she has bitten you by accident whatever she is there and likes to be beside you. I loved reading this it´s like opening a Book about a Biography of A Cat Called Minnie and reading the first Chapter. Minnie is smart waiting so she can get to drink the Water from that dripping Tap or Shower Head that you have there. I would love to have Minnie the Cat here I mean one just like her but without the Biting bit if she does not mind altogether.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Wow! Thanks for the compliment! I've known a number of smart cats. I think the smartest was Sab, Elic's black cat from long ago. Get her to tell you about her. I've recently described her, though, if you'd rather go to my profile & look it up. Yeah, I'd like to have Minnie without the biting, too, if it'd be all the same to her! Maggiepie "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" ~ Source unknown
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Every cat I've ever had has been a wicked little manipulator like Minnie. They learn quickly how to get you to do for them. My cat that I have now has finally learned what 'no' means and even what 'go and lie down' means. I think she's the smartest cat I've seen. When they live with you for a long time, they learn your schedule and body language and can practically read your mind. I've had them precede me into a room and I've wondered how they knew I was going to that particular room. How do they do that?
@Maggiepie (7821)
I think you had it when you said they can "practically read your mind." Only I'd leave out the "practically." Yes, they are manipulative little snerts. You have to learn to enjoy the game, I guess. But they really are very loving, too, sometimes. It's a balance. Maggiepie "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" ~ Source unknown
Pets do us a lot of good. My Princess bites as well. I am not sure why. She loves us, and she nuzzles my hand and arm, then she chews me and claws me and I feel like I have been in a serious battle. Tiger wants to be beside me, and the old guy has such hard sharp claws he cuts me by sitting on me. Creamery, he thinks we are trees. I do not know that I will get more cats when these pass on, but Creamery and Princess are pretty young, though I guess they are six and seven years old respectively. Tiger is thirteen.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Aren't pets wonderful, though? I remember every one I've ever had, from when I was a little kid on up to today! And every one was as unique as snowflakes! I know you understand why I decided the bites & scratches were worth it. Many wouldn't, though. "Thinks you're trees?" As in, territory to mark? Oy! I have had a few like that, myself. Have you had the vet check him out for urinary problems, or blockage? If that's what you meant, it could help.... I know why you're reluctant to take on new pets, but if you can find someone willing to take them on if you can't take care of them--years from now!--then it would actually result in you living a longer, happier life. Pets do that for people; science has proven that! Maggiepie “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~ Thomas Jefferson[/i]