Begonia Bloomed! It is a miracle.........

Hello fellow Mylot Gardeners. I have an indoor Begonia that just bloomed a few days ago. O, what a spectacular site! I am so surprised because flowering plants either cease flowering when I get them home or outright die on me. My Begonia has been with me for 3 years, and this is the first time I have seen it flower. I neglected it a bit over the winter too. Forgot to water it, the leaves began turning brown, the hanging babies dried up. I really wondered if I had finally killed the poor thing, then I find a flower! Woohoo! My first ever flower on a plant that did not have a flower when I brought it home from the store. Have you had a similar experience with plants that would not flower or fruit for you? There are some folks that can do indoor plants but kill the outdoor plants, and others that are quite the opposite and cannot grow indoor plants but have wonderful luck with outdoor plants. I fall in the last category. Some people have the green thumb for everything they touch. Which category do you fall into? What is your best gardening story?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
In southern California, I couldn't grow a fuchsia or hydrangea to save my life. And I did ok with the camellias that were already planted at my house, but I couldn't get a new on to thrive. Houseplants, depends on the plant and how finicky it is. Mostly I grow plants that are hard to kill such as roses and iris.
Me too! I try with the indoor plants, and can you believe I killed one I had for almost 20 years? The poor thing had been so abused, going without water at times, too much water at others yet survived. Until just a few months ago. Probably root rot; I haven't changed their pots. I will do that this spring. The best plants are the hard to kill ones. I guess the Begonia does belong in that category! Now I will find some more, just to have something that flowers. Mother in law tongue is a great plant to have for us herbicidal maniacs. Hard to kill, again it has been abused all these years and it is still thriving. Outdoor plants are much easier for me for some reason. Maybe because I leave them alone more for the elements to water and feed them. Too much love can harm a plant. Maybe there is a special breed of camellia that you have to have for your yard. Good luck!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I had a Madagascar palm that I loved. I read that when they bloom they have red flowers, and I was waiting for that. Then I moved north and the cold killed it. :-(
awe, I'm sorry about your plant. It is something to look forward to, always waiting for the buds. Maybe you will find another nice plant that will tolerate the cold.