Were you a child in day care?

I grew up in a home day care from the age 5 through 10. It had a huge impact on my life. It made me independent and I saw a piece of culture that was different from my family's culture. As a result, I learned not to listen to my parents all the time, and I think this was in a good way. I think it is terrible when children take on the biased views of their elders - I've seen children make racist comments because their parents were racists. This is just one perspective of day care that I have. I'd like to hear of your experiences in day care.
@sweet_pea (3326)
No I didn't go to a day care. My mom used to be a grade school teacher before he married my father. So I basically have my own teacher at home. She taught me to write my name and pretty much prepared me for kindergarten. She instilled in me good values that I still apply in my daily life. I hardly experienced any racism because most of the children in school have the same nationality as mine.
It must be good to have a parent who is a teacher!
@sweet_pea (3326)
Not really I must say! She was really strict. I need to answer the questions right otherwise she will let me review the lessons again. So soon enough, I did the review on my own at my own pace. I guess at a young age I learned to be independent.
@apples99 (6564)
No I was not a child of day care, I did not grow up in a day care my parents were not comfortable with putting me in day care they wanted me to grow up with strong sense of family and have a good family bond also they were concerned about day care safety and cost As for your comments about racism I understand that's what your experience was but I disagree just because someone didn't grow up in day care dose not make someone racist, I grew up with my family and I do not consider myself a racist person at all. with that said its good that you had a good day care experience growing up but sometimes putting a child in day care is not an easy choice because of financial reasons or safety reasons in this day and age you cant always trust strangers around a child meaning not all day care experiences are not as positive as yours.
I was just using beliefs as an example of how day care can influence a child's thinking. Of course not every family is racist! And for financial reasons, actually most families put their kids in day care because they need to make money. I was stating my positive experience in response to the negative bias that exists against day cares. I was trying to say that not all experiences in it are bad, the way it is portrayed in the news.
@apples99 (6564)
I'm always glad to read positive experiences in life and its good you had a good day care experience growing up My sister uses day care so she can work but she sometimes has a tough time because day care cost a lot here in U.S., and money is tight for her. I guess we all have differnt points of view when it comes to day care and other matters, sorry if I missunderstood your post day care can be a good option if one chooses to use it or needs it.
@dheckerz (473)
Yes. My mom also sent me to day care when I was at 5 and I've learned a lot from it. Also, I learn to share more with that experience. If i'll be having kids soon I hope i could send them to similar day care's i've been to when I was young.
I also feel that day care can teach children valuable lessons that they may not learn at home. I was an only child and it was very different to be in a house of 6 or 7 kids. Learning to play with people I didn't know was a lesson in being open minded to different people.
@dheckerz (473)
True. I can't disagree to that..and it helps you mould into a better person when you grew up. You may not realize it but it manifests in your personality.
@lingli_78 (12846)
I am fortunate that my mum raise me by herself since I was a child and I don't have to experience living in daycare. Anyway, there is no daycare as well in my homecountry. My mum hire a maid to help her to look after 3 children but she still do most of the things herself. I find that it has a great effect on me as I am pretty close with my parents because they raishe me up themselves. Take care and have a nice day.
I'm glad you had a good relationship with your family!
@lynnemg (4539)
I never had to go to a day care center when I was growing up, buy the school I went to had several different cultures and races. I can remember some racist somments being made by my family as I was growing up, but they did not make me feel the same way. I made the choice, early in life to judge people for who they are as individuals, not because of their culture or race, and I have taught my kids the same thing.
I'm glad to hear you think for yourself rather than being handed down biased beliefs.
@chuyins123 (2118)
I have been in a day care center. I enjoyed being there because I learned a lot. And I could play with dudes of my age too. Day care for me is a great help and preparation for my going to elementary school. It was at Day care where I learned first how to read, write and participate in a class. It's an experience worth thanking my parents for sending me there. It was a total fun learning experience! :)
That sounds like a good experience, it must have been a learning step in your life.
@xien2xien (1383)
i don't grew up in a day care. i don't know if preschool can be called as day care but i guess i isn't.... i saw exactly myself a combination of my mom and dad and i'm happy on how they taught me as i grew.... they gave me freedom to decide on my own when i reach the age of 13 they were always there supporting me to whatever i wanted to be and in times i'm in trouble or i've chosen a wrong decision they don't let me down they we're both always trying to cheer me up and help me with my problems and boom here i am, so happy and contented with who i am today :)
it's good that your parents let you make your decisions. some parents are very controlling. Others don't realize that they pass down their mistakes to their children. It isn't their fault, but it is just a fact of life.
@kaka135 (13990)
I was brought up by my mum as she is a housewife, or she worked from home as a tailor. My siblings and I were staying at home most of the time, until we studied in high school, we stayed in the hostel. I am a work from home mum now, as I'd love to take care of my kids by myself. I remember when I announced this decision, my cousin said he's so envy with my son, as he was taken care by a babysitter when he was young. I suppose he'd love his mother to take care of him when he's young.