Why You Need to Know about Carbohydrates When You Have Diabetes?

Australia
Diabetes is a condition where our body has trouble balancing how much sugar or glucose is in our bloodstream. When we eat food, it goes to our stomach, where it gets broken down into different things. One of those things is called glucose. Glucose is very important because our body uses it to get energy. It's just like petrol in a car, without it, our body won't have power. Food can have a really big effect on blood glucose levels. Eating carbohydrates or "Carbs" is like putting petrol in our car, it gives energy really quickly. Carbs are the body's main source of fuel, our stomach turns carbs into glucose. some foods high in carbs such as breads, grains, fruits, milk, desserts and some vegetables. Believe it or not, table sugar is also a carb. Other carbs include honey, syrup and other sweeteners. Carbs affect blood glucose the most. Eating the right amount of carbs each meal of course, combined with the use of diabetes medications, if needed may help keep our blood glucose close to target levels. A Dietitian can help you decide how many carbs you need, the amount depends on our age, weight, activity and diabetes medications, if used. We can learn how to "carb count" in order to get the right amount of carbs at each meal, snacks to help our blood glucose at our target level. We can also benefit from eating lower fat, high fiber foods and just enough calories to maintain a healthy weight. Eating fruits and vegetables of all colors also provides important vitains and minirals necessary for our health. Mylotters, i am aware on this topic bacause i am also a diabetic person diagnosed year 2000, i am 29 years old at that time.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Hi gelay, the information you wrote here explained what the doctors failed to give me when the onset of diabetes sipped in. Mine was gestational and I was more preoccupied with my offspring than that of my own condition. Result: Insulin intake two times a day since 2007, and that was 16 years after I learned about this sweet disease.
@eileenleyva (10964)
gelay, you just gave me a bright new way of looking at my ghastly condition. Ha ha, you are a bringer of positive viewpoints, and therefore happy lives. Thank you.
my uncle have had a diabetes type 2 since his late 30's and advised me that if I reach the age of 30 I should lessen my rice consumption because according to his doctor, eating too much rice can also contribute to the development of diabetes esp. if you have this in your genes which makes someone more prone of developing this condition.As a nursing student, It is necessary to avoid a sedentary lifestyle because it is also one of the contributing factors. Have a regular exercise eat veggies and fruits and lots of water will help. Monitoring your blood glucose levels regularly is also ok.
Yes, your uncle is right when he tells you to be careful because you might have the genes. But diabetes occur even at your early age. That's why I also limits my kids on eating chocolates and the like. I definitely agree with you that exercise and to be a vegetarians are the best remedy to control glucose level. Thanks for sharing. God bless!
@macayadann (1235)
As our body is unable to digest anymore our carbohydrates intake that is the time the rise in sugar in our body takes place. And so the interval of our intake must be carefully watch or monitor to prevent accumulation. Diabetes is a very costly sickness.It can be tolerated if we have so much money to fight it. Usually the survivors are rich and so while still pre-mature strict dieting must be observed.
Once you are diagnosed with diabetes there are many things to change and consider in your life, like healthy eating - eating what your body needs to be healthy, not too much and not too little. Physical activity is important for everyone too, at least 30 minutes most days of the week, whether or not they have type 1 diabetes or Type II diabetes (Diabetes Mellitus). A balanced diet is one that gives the body enough energy and all the nutrients it needs to stay fit and healthy, if you follow these, you will enjoy life and costless way of living. Self-discipline is the best mechanism to fight a medical disorder like this.
@KrauseHome (34994)
Well, often Carbrohydrates can play a big important part of a persons life especially when being Diabetic. The main issue is not how much of a carbohydrate most of the time. Instead it often leads back to what type of carbohydrates, and what effects ones blood sugar more as well. There are really such a thing as good ones and bad ones, but you need to remember each person is affected differently as well. For me with being Diabetic eating certain foods is a help when lower, and good for you and then there are the foods that spike me and continue to spike me even days afterwards for sure. Problem is in foods such as rice, this is one food I enjoy eating as well so for me is could be finding that Happy balance. So my advice is to learn what others suggest is best for you, try it all out, and do some other research as well. I know overall it often all seems to go hand and hand and if you learn to do what works best for you, and take care of yourself first, then usually things will take care of you.
Yes you are right, we have to learn and research on what other suggests that would best for us by doing this, we should consult always the expert -our family doctor and dietitian or nutritionist because they are the right person in telling us what are best for us. Let us make reading materials and friends suggestion as added factor which regards to our health condition. Thank you krauselHome for your response.