Is this ‘speed post’?

On 18th of this month, I received phone call from the principal of the college from where I retired as principal in 2006. He requested me to come to college to receive some arrear salary from government. I said I can’t go because of health issues, so he requested me to send a receipt against this payment, after receiving that only, the office can issue a cheque; so I send the same through ‘speed-post’ service of our post offices run by government of India. It is supposed to be safe and speediest. One can track its position in internet. On 22nd and 23rd I made calls to the present principal and learnt that it was NOT delivered. Let me tell you, the address the envelope was: Prof.xxx Xxx College Xxx Pin xxx I filed a complaint; I was told that, they were trying to get residence of ‘Prof .xxx’. How funny, no where I wrote this, it has to be delivered in college office. It was delivered on 24th after 6 days, was supposed to reach on 19th. It is a distance of 50 kilometers only. If sent by ordinary post it would have reached earlier. I talked to the accountant now, they are doing the needful. So was this ‘speed post’ for which I paid more postage and ended up like this. I have lodged a complaint, but I know nothing is going to happen, the machinery is rusted and corrupted. [i][b]What about your place and country. Is your government postal service speedy? Do you face anything similar? Please share your opinion on this story of mine.[/b][/i] Professor ‘Bhuwan’. . Cheers have a lucky day ahead.
Hi sir, Here in Australia, i should say that the postal system is quite good. It is one of the major means of communication and is effective and reliable. I can understand how the situation must be back in India because postal method is not of the first priority, so people tend to ignore the essence of it. But i am happy that you finally received your mail. Have a nice day!
Yes Paula also says this, things are better in Australia Thanks for sharing, welcome to mylot Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@paula27661 (15900)
Yours sounds like a very frustrating story especially as you probably paid more to have the paperwork delivered quickly. Here in Australia or at least in home state I have to say the postal service is quite efficient and if something is sent what we call registered mail or express post fast and secure delivery is guaranteed. I sure hope it stays that way and that your services improve.
Glad to know you have efficient service there.. Thanks Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Sir, In my small experience, yes, I have faced the slow services of our POstal Department quite a few many times. During college days(early 1990s) I could not get my applications through to JNU for my Masters. Then speed post arrived and we hoped things would be streamlined. That too has resulted in worst of its services. My ex-boss who is an Australian, lost his court cases here because of the fact that the Speed Post could not deliver the Legal Documents that he needed to be signed in orignial and attested by the Embassey there on time. We waited for 6 long months for them to deliver the parcel to him but it never reached him... instead, it bounced back at our office the day we were closing down. We are still in that phase where we are progressing and I think some day (in my lifetime) I would come to know that we have computerized almost everything and the emails are now legal documents. They have been doing the things for people like Kasab and the rich... only need time for these to get applicable to common man.
Sids I too hope let all things be computerised but perfectly and error free. Here is another example, there was Inaugural function of the IAPT KITT ANVESIKA Centre to be held on 19th March at the KITT Campus at BBSR, I received the invitation letter sent by the secretary on 24th March, it was a printed post card, they have affixed stamps worth 6.50 on it They could have emailed me or called me over my cell phone, it is in their record as I am Life member of Indian Association of Physics Teachers. This is INDIA again Thanks for sharing your experience in details. Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@dawnald (84130)
• Shingle Springs, California
Usually it's pretty speedy, but sometimes things go astray. I did order some things from e-bay, and two things from the same seller didn't come. They filed a claim with the post office, and after they did, one of the packages arrived, but the other one never did. They told me to keep it, even though they had refunded both items, since the PO repaid them anyway. But I've often wondered if they thought I was being dishonest. After all how often do TWO packages to the same person go astray?
My friend in Iowa sent small hand woven blankets for my grand daughter, it failed to reach me. Though it was registered air-parcel, she could not made any complaint, because she lost the receipt. Thanks for sharing your experience Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@Sreekala (18782)
Hello Sir, It happened with us in office, as we sent some invoice and bills to a famous university through speed post, and they keep on calling us and telling that the speed post has not received. Finally, we sent through courier the duplicates, which reached in time. No wonder the postal service is fading off from public mind. People won’t think about this service and trust it anymore at the time of need.
Hi Sreekala As i have said some private couriers are better, but not all A day will come govt post offices will close down Thanks for sharing your experience Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@thanks1961 (7049)
I think in our remote areas of Indian villages, if the specified post office has no speed post facility, while you mention the address the post office authorities should have to tell you that it will reach late or just like an ordinary post. Also, they may consider the non working days and holiday (if any) in between. For an experience, I have not send any thing as speed post but I got the same, others posted but I have not checked how fast I received it. I just remember some years before, I had a similar issue. I send a pant piece by registered post to Hyderabad (to one of my friend who works there). He informed that the pats would stitch well in his place and he know best tailors and on his request I did so. After 10 days time he received the registered post. But there was no pant piece, instaed of that, he received a used bath towel, equivalent to the weight. He and myself ledged a complaint and after nearly 2 years later, I got a post card from the Postal Department of India saying that we are sorry, from our inquiry, we could not many any traces of the same. I mentioned here this incident because our complaints and grievances are considered in such a way only. They may have certain explanations for the complaint and it will not make any good. We all know how it works and there is no efficiency or proper order in such cases. If we try, it could have been improved 100 time better. But who cares? After all, you know how our Govt. offices and employees are working. It never improve and it will take its own time. Everyone knows, but no one cares. Everything goes as usual and it is of NO ONE's case and it will run the same way as long as this administrative system prevails here. Changes and improvements are just a call away distance, but no one cares, as long as they all are getting money in hand. I am mad and allergic to all these things. For me I used to close my eyes on such things, because no effort will make any good. It is the curse of our country, the Great India. Thank-s
Thanks for the details I agree complant has no effect, they have set of readymade explanations Some private couries are little better, but not all Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
• Abbotsford, Wisconsin
It is speedy, but there has been an issue of postal workers at times stealing, money, gift cards, checks or other items out of the mail.. I will order things from amazon and they arrive with 2-3 days and up too things from South carolina have made it to Wisconsin within three days.. I always felt that was speedy and impressive.. but the speedy service is always really expensive..
Here too they steal by cutting at the edge with a sharp knife and repaste, I was told ,they do it in the train compartment called 'RAILWAY MAIL SERVICE' Thanks for response Cheers. God bless you, have a nice day ahead. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
@KrauseHome (33250)
Personally even here in the US, it often just depends on what time of day, yr. etc. I have seen and heard of mail taking almost a week just to be delivered in the same town even. Just glad that the stuff I order from my online site for my offline business usually takes no more than 2-3 days to get to me. But why sometimes does other mail seem to take forever?
@tigeraunt (6331)
dear professor, there are isolated cases of stealing, money, checks, gift cards, checks or other items out of the mail. but overall, i think the post office services has improved well if not perfect. have a nice day. ann