How do you kill time with long flights? long stop overs?

@hexebella (1140)
One time with a long flight, I exprerienced the feeling of wanting to get off the plane like getting off a bus. I had 8 hour flight from my first port of origin then 5 hours stop over then another 6 hours flight to the final destination. I felt so tired that I would like to get off the plane right away. After that experience, whenever I need to take a long flight, I make sure that I have my PSP with me (that time PSP is not yet invented :( .....)where I have my MP3 both music and Ebook and some games to kill the time. Yes, there are entertainment on board, and I experienced watching 4 movies in one flight, but it would also bore you somehow. Sometimes I chat with the person next to me but there are times that the person is not interested to talk. Same thing I do with stop overs, play with the PSP, listen to Ebook or chat with other travelers. If luck is on my side that the airport provides free wifi, boredom is killed as my laptop always travels with me.
@cutepenguin (6457)
Usually I try to sleep as much as possible while I'm on the plane itself, and I will bring a book of puzzles with me to do. I might bring a novel but I would probably finish it right away and then have nothing to do. I don't usually carry a laptop with me so I can't just play games unless I play on my phone.
@hexebella (1140)
Hi cite penguin! Sleep is the best thing to do as it is relaxing and energize us that would compensate for the stress of the long flight. Book of puzzles is also a good idea, would keep you busy for some time. Games on cell phones also help somehow, however i experienced hurting my shoulders due to my position as I become engrossed with the game for half an hour :( cheers!
@hexebella (1140)
sorry i misspelled your user name cutepenguin...
@sweet_pea (3326)
My husband like to be early at the airport to get the best seats. And it would take us some time to just patiently wait at the waiting lounge. Fortunately on our recent local trip, my brother brought along with him his laptop, so we pass the time playing games on his laptop. Otherwise, I may find myself eating while staring at the people on the lounge or play some games on my cellphone. I really don't like waiting.
@hexebella (1140)
Long wait really bores when nothing to get busy with, laptops and other electronic gadgets helps a lot to solve boredom at times that we can not do anything. It also helps if the airport is big and has lots of shops that we can visit but if it happens to be a small one ....:(
@jennbart (1332)
I bring my laptop, Psp with me:) I also have my ipod.
I always bring something to entertain me.I have an hour worth of travel to and from my workplace.I always have my Ipod in my bag.it's always fully charged,so when something inevitable happens,like if there is a road accident that cause traffic jam,I have something to entertain me.
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
7 hours or so Transatlantic has been the longest duration flight I've made so far..I'm not good at sleeping in the air,even with having been up in the middle of the night to travel to catch an early morning connecting flight! Even so,I will try to take a nap at some stage..The onboard entertainment can help pass a few hours.This past Christmas,I got a Kindle reader as a gift,so having a few things to read on my next trip will be good.I don't have to travel on business,so I don't feel the need to bring a laptop along-again,I recently acquired an Android tablet,so that should keep my internet craving at bay when I'm in a wifi zone during the trip.Having company along is nice too...
@hexebella (1140)
Hi Shepherdspy! And so am I, its so difficult for me to get sleep, not unless the flight is midnight, I could get 2-3 hours sleep, but then again I will be awake, really need to find ways to kill the time....most of my travels are for leisure but i need the laptop, i'm an internet addict especially now that i am a mylotter! cheers!
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I was just reading one of the Sunday Paper Supplements which mentioned Some Airlines on some routes are beginning to roll out onboard wifi access,made possible by satellite..I'd look forward to trying this out,but retrofitting the equipment sounds expensive,and it could take years for it to become common..ah,well...
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hexabella, where I´ll have to kill some time, will be at Lisbon. Because I´ll arrive, if God allows it to me, at midnight, and I´ll be there til 6 am, I was thinking to read my Lisbon travel book or My Virgin Mary of Fatima book, with the daily chores I have no time to read them, though =(... Blessings! =) Dainy
@hexebella (1140)
Oh yeah! that's a good idea, go through your travel guide so you would have a very good idea about Lisbon, I wish I could also visit that city someday...sigh!!!! and also the same suggestions I have written above....enjoy your holidays! God Bless!
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hello Hexabella. I don´t travel in long trips so often, the last time I travelled it was with my parents to Rio de Janeiro (17 years ago), and we didn´t have stops. 20 years ago, so far, I travelled to Paris, and I didn´t have long stops. This May, if God allows it to me, I´ll travel from México to Fatima, with a stop at London, of 6 ours at Heathrow. I asked some e-friends if I could visit London, and I got adviced that I´ll have one hour left more or less to take a bus, and to have a bus tour for an hour. Any advice? Blessings... Dainy
@hexebella (1140)
Hi dainy! I never entered London as I flew directly to the Northeast of England when I entered UK. But I think 6 hours stop wouldn't be enough for you to have a quick tour of the city as London being one of the major cities in the world, well....expect the crowd of both people and vehicles. I was traumatized with my experience in Heathrow airport when I landed there to transfer to the other terminal to get the Newcastle flight. It was too much people with too tight security and too much restrictions. Thanks God I have read the airport rules and regulations prior to flying. If I were you, I think a good book could help a lot to kill the time. If you are fond of writing, bring along a notebook and pen and try to compose some articles, you could write about your waiting experience there. If you could bring a laptop, surfing the web could be another way to kill the time or a gadget like PSP to play some video games. Hope these help, Have a safe trip and God Bless!
A book used to preoccupy my thoughts when I was flying, but now nothing can seem to distract me. I attempt to watch the films/tv they have on the plane, last time when I traveled to England they even had some of my favorite shows, Peep Show, The Middle, and Inbetweeners, but I could barely hear it with my ears popping and the noise. Plus on top of that the guy in front of me put his seat back the whole entire time, of course he was in the front row so had no one ahead of him doing that to him.
@hexebella (1140)
Hi Lucy! That must be annoying!!! But we can not do something about it coz it's his privilege.....a book is one good idea and the movies on board....but if the other passengers are nuissance....we have to bear with it...it adds up to the pain of long journey :( Cheers!
I do the same thing you do. That seems like the only thing to do though. Pull out the psp and start gaming. I guess you can bring more games or read more books on your ebook. Or you can always sleep. That helps me. But damn... 4 movies straight!? lol
@mermaidivy (15415)
I totally understand this... the last time I flew, the flight was 18 hours I think or 16 hours. There was one stop at San Fransisco, I felt extremely tired already after flying the first half for over 12 hours(I forget how mayn but somewhere aroudn that), the plane was full, we didn't have leg room, it was absolutely painful, Ijust wanted to get off the plane and stretch... when we switched to the other half, I felt too uncomfortable to sleep so I suffered in the crowdness for another 5 or 6 hours... I'm gonna have to do that in this summer again and I will have my baby to fly with me... alone no less... I don't know what I'm gonna do...
@hexebella (1140)
Hi mermaidivy! I also experienced a 13 hour glight straight and was really boring and painful....you could bring a book with you or a pen and pad to write something that you can post here in myLot when you landed....:) Cheers!
@maximax8 (28559)
When I traveled around the world I had plenty of stops on my airline ticket. I did that same thing when I traveled to New Zealand. Two times in my traveling I have had to change planes and wait around at the airport. I flew from London to the Seychelles via Nairobi and that was fine. However coming back home we had a 7 hour wait for our flight on to London. The waiting room was small and didn't have an in interesting view. It was fairly crowded and the seats in it were uncomfortable. We took it in turns to go downstairs to the shopping stalls. I bought some children costume dolls. On a different trip I visited Kenya and bought a couple of adult costume dolls. Now at home in my collection they look like a Kenyan family. On my last trip I flew London to Cartagena De Indias via Madrid and Bogota return. At Madrid I found due to my flight from London arriving two hours late I had missed my connection. We had a very sad and worrying time trying to get to talk to the airline. One of the staff told us to go over to another airline and that lovely airline got us on their plane to Bogota. We arrived in Bogota at almost midnight and the lady at the airline desk didn't speak English. Luckily two local people translated for us. We were given a hotel room for the night and a flight on to Cartagena in the morning. Coming back we had to rush around at Bogota Airport and the same happened at Madrid Airport. I needed to buy more diapers for my disabled toddler son.
@hexebella (1140)
Hi maximax! Indeed that traveling is fun and when we travel for leisure we are seeking for relaxation. But there is non-relaxing or stressing part of it....when we need to travel long flights, long stop overs, change planes, flight delays, missed connections....whew! Long stop overs may be boring but an advantage is we will not definitely miss the connecting flight as we have ample time. It is a relief if the airport where we need to spend some time would be interesting, plenty of shops and cafes. But if it happens to be a boring airport.....like the one you had to spend 7 hours :(..but nice to see that you got souvenirs from the boring wait :) Cheers!
I think computer , internet and read books are the things that will take away all your boring time in the flight or waiting period. it would be good to have a frined to travel with you and you can chat with your freind during those boring moment. However , sometimes people may just travel alone , then internet or computer work maybe the only option we have in situation like this. I do enjoy someof my quiet time like this , since I can never experience the quiet moment like this in my city since y city will alwyas be too much noise.If I still get boring during those moment, I can just take some picture or walk around.Well, I thank God that since I didn't travel that much , my boring experience in the airport usually was just so less and I can live with it anyway.I hope you will have a good trip in your future travel.
@hexebella (1140)
Hi wildlittlefan! I wish I could travel with a friend!!! But all of my travels were done alone. My friends have different priorities, not traveling. Books could help also and other electronic gadgets, but with long flights, I also get bored with them :(... sometimes if i get a window seat, i also take pics during take off and prior to landing.... thanks for commenting. cheers!
@eileenleyva (10967)
I sleep, I chat, I watch the aerial view, especially if there are lightnings, but mostly, I watch the people around me, how they move, how they talk... Flights are long but they give offer quick lessons about life and people and places every time.
@hexebella (1140)
Hi eileen! Its good if the flight is daytime and you got a window seat, you can watch the earth below. But during daytime I can't sleep, at night time I can sleep only a few hours, then restless, so I turn to entertainment. Good that you are a keen observer of people, nice way to kill boredom. Cheers!
@Monkeyrose (2850)
I usually can't sleep the night before because I'm so excited. This makes me tired and I usually sleep for a bit of the flight. I usually bring books to read. I generally watch the movies they have. I find this keeps me pretty busy. I have to get up a lot and stretch my legs because I have a tailbone injury and if I sit for more than 2 hrs my butt get sore.
@hexebella (1140)
That must be painful Monkeyrose. Actually I also have sciatica, it hurts when I sit for long as I got this due to long sitting. But lately I can stand the long flights unlike in 2007 that I need to stand and walk from time to time. I put a small pillow on my lower back for lumbar support. Lately I don't have excitement anymore if I need to fly. I feel stressed already thinking of a long journey ahead, sigh.........
Even me, i always take my laptop along when i am in a long flight. I take magazine or a novel with me which helps in a great deal to spend my time. I also fall asleep regularly which easily helps me spend 2-3 hours on the flight.
@hexebella (1140)
Hi sweetme! I can only sleep if the flight is at night but during day time, I just simply can't. Hence I need to be busy with something. Sometimes I also take a walk along the aisle and stand in one corner for some time. cheers!