No internet..WIll this help me enjoy life more?

So, a while ago, my sister and her boyfriend moved out of my and my dad's house (OK - his house, which I still live at). They finally got their own place in a nice apartment building. HOWEVER-- My sister's boyfriend (Ben) was the one who was paying for both the internet (wifi) and the cable TV we got. Being that my dad is cheap, I would be the one having to pay for it - monthly and the installment/set up/equiptment. I really can't decide if it's worth it. On one hand, it's been about a week internet-free, except for when I come over to my mom's house (where I'm at right now) and hop online for a few minutes while visiting. I can check MyLot, my bank account, my credit card accts, and all of my other important things online here. I also have a cell phone with internet capability (although no javascript, and it's not 3g so it's kinda slow and not everything loads right). I've been finding other things to keep me busy without TV or internet..Like cleaning, talking on the phone, organizing, going outdoors more (even though the weather's still pretty crappy). Maybe in one respect it's making me enjoy life - outside of the "online" world a little more.. On the other hand, there's a lot I can't do. I can't listen to music on my playlist (on playlist.com), I can't talk to my good friend on Skype (who is studying abroad and is one of my besties), I can't watch my Netflix instant (to watch TV shows/moves online or on my Wii), I can't do a lot of my online banking stuff at home, and I Can't look up any kind of information whenever I want to like I used to on the spot, like directions, etc. IU also can't make money online, but not as though I was really good at that when I HAD internet to begin with.. So there are a bunch of pro's and con's. I feel like for now, it's fine - but in the long run - can I really live without a wi-fi connection, without the internet?? I need some insight from you all. Is the internet worth it? And any of you US/mid-western-ers have any suggestions for a good, cheap place to get the internet?
@Rtlsnk316 (1197)
• Mexico
Just level the cost/benefit to figure out if it's worth the investment ... at least I see it as an investment in several ways. If you're going to struggle economically just to watch movies, chat and do some other basic things, see if it's worth it.
rtlsnk is correct. decide on which is heavier, living life without the internet or having the internet and doin all the things that you are supposed to do with it and then paying for it yourself. For me, internet is already a need for most of the people in our age since it is giving us a way to communicate, to inform, to be entertained and to earn. I cant ive without internet anymore either.
@bounce58 (17524)
I think the internet cost is worth it! I know that people would say that you'd be enjoying the outdoors more if you're not stuck in front of a computer, but I would also say that if you really want to do some outdoor activity, you'd do it with or without internet at home. You may be forced to do these other things because there is no online activity at home, but I'd also say that today's society is very dependent on the internet, that going without is just really difficult. Just the savings in internet banking would be worth it, I think.
@Zer0Stats (1316)
Well here in my college campus and the place where I work has a free Wi-Fi access so I always try to get my work done when I'm outside but when I'm home I have to spend too much money for using the Internet.I can say I'm kind of addicted to the Internet so I hate the time when I have no enough money,means no Internet connection and have to do nothing but watch TV all day which I hate the most.I guess in the USA there must be several places where you can access the Wi-Fi for free. McDonalds is almost at every corner of the world and they provide a free Wi-Fi access,plus rail networks are also getting there but it should ask for a password which you get from the staff.Be aware that any location that does not ask for a password and just connects you automatically is more than likely not secure and should not be used,but that is my opinion so make your own mind up.
@cream97 (29166)
I understand how you feel, maezee. I have been without the Internet for four months recently. We moved into our trailer in October of last year. I have not been able to get on the Internet until February of this year. So, I have been without the Internet for about four months. A couple of times, I did go to the library to use the Internet, but the connection was really slow. And they also have a time limit for a person to be on the computer. Maybe at least up to a couple of hours, just as long as nobody has to use the computer or they are not filled up. I was very miserable without having the Internet. We also did not have a TV at home either. So I had to read a book all day long. I would go to the library just to check out about 10 books just so that I could read just to stay busy. I am a very fast reader so it did not phase me to read all of these books like I have. I hope that you will be able to get back onto the Internet, like you would like to. I know how hard it is to be without the Internet. I can live without it, but I just can't do without it.
@shia88 (4582)
Hi, From my point of view, internet is an important element in life now. Without an internet, we will be out from this world, we are not able to get an instant news on what is happening in the world, not able to catch up with friends,not able to do any online transactions,and lots more of things which can be done via internet service. So for me, I really need an internet in my life. Without an internet, I feel so handicapped. Since you feel having the need to have an internet, you might consider getting a broadband service if it is available at your place there. So that you can access to your need anytime you want.
Well, I have two friends that are rarely use internet. Like once in a month. Why? they spend most of their time outdoor.. They do hiking, biking, and a lot of stuffs. My point is although internet now is necessity for most of us..there are still lots of people that dont use internet that much and enjoying life same as the people who cant live the internet.. Its a matter of what you always do and what you are used to do. and for the record. You can always enjoy life without the internet..
@cutepenguin (6457)
I have been thinking about how i need to spend less time on the internet...I don't know if I would actually be able to do it though. Is there a public library near your house? They often have free internet access.
Pretty much you need the internet to live by. I know I may have to cut my cable next year but never my internet coverage. I need to get online to pay my bills,mylot and to play my games if nothing else.
Sometimes in life we have to sacrifice some of the things we cherish while trying to prioritize. You are in the US, so I can suggest any McDonald which offers complete free wifi. They have no restriction so you can virtually sit there all day and use it anytime. Some open really early and close late so that might be an option. Otherwise if you have wifi capability on your laptop see if anyone has open unsecured internet which you can tap into from home. I do hope things look up for you soon. My best regards to you.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
If I remember correctly you have a few different jobs and are tryign to save up to get otu of your dad's house? Maybe I am thinking of a different person. If this is the case there's also the thing you've got to think about, if I don't have these things I won't have to spend more, and thus can theoretically save by not paying for them, however there are a lot of things I'd be missing out on, can I make enough money online to atleast pay for half of what I want to get? Can I schedule a time to talk to my friend through skype at my mom's? Say once a week? If you still have a laptop you can get online through another person's internet connection but I am not sure exactly how that works to be honest. I know you have to have a card for it though. You could look into webtv, and see if it's something that might be beneficial to you.