This is the time of month when I have to scrape to feed us.

I have just one more week to go and I can buy some food. I have one more pack of chicken. I will cook that tomorrow for dinner. If I eat beakfast I don't have lunch but,that will not bother me. I just want to stretch what I have to feed kk. I just realized i could make some boiled noodles with mixed veggies for one night. then I can make buttered noodles another day for lunch with a can of corn. So you know what I might be able to make it this week. lord knows I don't want to borrow money I can't afford to pay back. are you in the same sot as me? This was a long month to begin with..
@akangirl (2437)
Don't worry this week will soon pass friend, try to grow some vegetables in your place next time as its cheaper option too.actually at my place we buy pulses which we cook when we have this last week and bit shortage of money.Just cook them with different spices to give them different flavor and eat with rice. My mom always buy enough rice and wheat for whole month.You can make lots of things with rice just like fried rice which is just made like noodles, rice with vegetables, even yogurt and rice can be eaten also lemon rice in which you can add lemon juice to have that sour lemon taste.
@Masihi (4228)
MMMMM, I just LOVE lemon!!!! Oh here's a good idea that we do, we buy those 2-pack of pure lemon juice bottles, and make our own lemonade for our juice/drinking. I myself push the kids to drink water because it's healthier and cleans out the inside, but yes, the homemade lemon juice is definitely a lot cheaper than purchasing cartons of pre-made juices.
I spend so much on this lemonaide mix. I hope t remember to buy some lemon juice. I think tat is worth a try. I have a big jug too it would last a long time.
@Celanith (2334)
My hubby and I have not been able to buy groceries this month. We did get to a food bank which helped some because we got some veggies and fruit and a gallon of milk. So we have been ekeing by. Two of his checks he should have got the school districts are now holding six weeks before paying and this is hard since we cannot pay all the bills each month now. They are doing it for two reasons. One they said due to budget cuts they do not want to pay someone to issue checks to sub teachers seperately from salaried teachers. Which is wrong because subs get low pay and sporadic work and salaried teachers work every work day of the month. They can make it through a month they have a sure amount coming in. Subs might earn $500 one month and $700 another. The other is they the schools can earn interest on the money in the account. Again this is wrong because it my husbands earned money they are getting interest on not their money. He should get the interest earned not them. They don't care how hard it is making things. So we cannot buy food this month and while staples and canned goods will last buying perishables is hard each month now. So we are not eating well and we both have restricted diet needs. We cannot afford to borrow either and cannot get any loans.
I have two food banks where I can get clothing and food once a month. I am glad too because this is why I have canned good in my home. I know the milk lasts because of the drop of peroxide I put in it so we don't have spoiled milk anylonger. Adrian forgets to put the peroxide in the milk and if it were not for me he would waste so much of it. I just take a half a cap of peroxide and drop it in the milk and put it in the fridge.
@Masihi (4228)
March is indeed a very long month, and sometimes we have to improvise ourselves. If my husband wasn't such a fussy eater then I'd say we never have to try to figure out what to eat in order to accomodate his tastes, I was brought up on soups, stews, homemade breads, that sort of thing. I always tell him that beggars can't be choosers but he was spoiled growing up! I admit he's getting better at buying bargains in bulk so that things will last for quite a while, I find that helps, although it's expensive in the short run. We just live in a flat so no back yard, else we'd plant our food. :-)
If I did not live in ny i could plant something as well. I have a nice sized yard and I am sure my landlord would not mind.
Are you and your daughter unable to get foodstamps? If you are struggling that much to come up with food that is so sad and seems like you are low enough income that you could get food stamps. My ex and I were low income and have gotten food stamps since we've had children which is 6 1/2 years now. With me having no outside income and no one working in the household and having two kids I get over $500 in food stamps each month.
My case is messed up from wen I lived in Miami before I moved to ny. I get $70 a month and trust me that does not last.
My gosh! That is all you get? Your worker sounds like he/she is not much help to you. Especially since you have a minor, I cannot fathom why that is all you get. They do have a phone number for your state Human Services. You can call them and they will give the numbers for the supervisor and whatnot. If you can't get hold or get any kind of help from the people they recommend to you, the state will have you call them back and they will get on it. You should be able to obtain the number from your state.gov website. That is almost criminal to give 2 people that. Though I know some folks who got only ten bucks because they were not paying heat separate, it was included in their rent.
I pay for heat and they gave the heating company $565.00 so I don't like to complain. When they find out their wrong doing with my food stamps they are going to owe me three years worth. so I am not saying anything. I will survive the best way I can.
• Marion, Kansas
We do not eat noodles and pasta, hubby does not like it. We do eat a lot of brown rice. It costs a little more, it takes a little longer to cook, but it is higher in fiber and it stops the hunger a little better. We also eat lots of dishes made with beans. I like fresh vegetables, and frozen vegetables and they can stretch your meat pretty far.
GG I am with you here we like frozen vegetables also because we have gotten creative with a side of white rice, rice or potatoes. So great neat way to stretch indeed!
I will keep this in mind. I have some rice from the pantry i forgot about. But my stomuch gets sick from rice. plus three table spoons will mess me up for the rest of the night. My dauhter does not like rice.
If you fix the chicken in a stirfry or soup or something like that it will last longer. I am usually in the same situation as you at this time of month. We have been buying a big bag of potatoes and alot of eggs that seems to get us through better. If you like beans that is something we fix also.
Wow you just reminded me I have a big bag f some kind of beans. I will add some bacon strips to flavor them up. thanks
Good! ya, its a good idea to keep such things on hand for the end of the month. I hate it!
This is a point in my life that I am grateful to a sense it is only my boyfriend and I at home. With it being only us two at home we can stretch things a great deal. We eat really light for breakfast and then set our lunch and dinners as meals We also do like you and utilize the noodles with corn and add some onions to it and voila we eat. We do what it takes to eat and survive and although it is a bit troublesome we always manage to eat. I like making rice one night because I can re-heat it on the stove with a little oil and sort of steam it and it tastes just like fresh made.
I like butter with rice but I can't enjoy it because of my new stomach.
Maybe you could just eat bread and coffee on breakfasts. The chicken could be stretched out by filleting them and sauting them in vegetables. Different vegetable for every meal will do. Yes, those noodles could really be helpful in stretching the budget. Just alternate putting veggies on them for variety. You can put jullienned carrots today, tomorrow - julliened cabbage etc. It's just a matter of imagining how a thing would taste if it will be incorporated with this and that.
This is great advice thanks so much..
@sid556 (31018)
All I can say is I just popped off from a discussion where you said your daughter gets 240.00 per month to spend as she likes. I can't even relate to this. I am not in anyway trying to be mean but I have to be honest with you on this...I do struggle to pay the rent, keep the cable and phone turned on as well as this internet. The cable and internet are not NEEDS. My daughter knows this. Those are my gifts to us. You were just looking as to how much you should give your daughter? Well considering that she gets 240.00 to blow on whatever she wants without doing a thing to earn it, I would be cutting back on what she gets and make sure there is food on the table. I know she gets social security or something but still...you are legally responsible for her and therfore it is up to you as to how that money is delegated. I would put all of it but 10.00 a week toward her roof over her head, food and utilities. Seriously. That would solve a lot of your problems and also teach her about money.
@sid556 (31018)
I know it. My parents did ok but my brothers and I never got money just handed to us. If we wanted more than what my parents provided for us then we went out and earned it.
People were making me feel like I was an unfit mother because I did not give her that check every month. So I started giving her what was left after some of the bills so I would not feel like I was doing her wrong. I am not sure if you saw that post here. I like how you do with your daughter. My daugter don't even care if she eats as long as she gets clothes and stuff. I am going to have to do something because I want food next month. Thanks for the help too.
You know before I started giving her that money. I used $200 in food every month and my $70 in food stamps and she ate very well. Tonight I am going to sit her tail down and talk to her. I know she is going to pitch a fit and my cps case is being closed. I can't afford another problem with her. they said they will take me to court. I stayed with adrian for 5 months so food was never a problem till I came back to my broke house.
@free_man (7337)
Hi Gifts. I know what you mean. It is just like this every month for us. We have a certian amount a month to live on and that is all we have. If it wasn't for the help we get from the food banks here we wouldn't make it every month. When the weather is warm we get a few odd jobs to help us make it. But when the cold sets in no one needs work done and none of us wants to work out in the cold. We are blessed though God somehow always gives what we need and we do make it one more month. Good luck and God bless you my friend.
My canned good are all from the food banks and most of my clothing too.
@free_man (7337)
Hi Gifts. The local food bank here only gives out about enough for a week but everything helps. We did have a food harvest truck come once a month but the rich people that live all around this area was standing in line too and it got way out of hand. The rich was fighting with people that had been going to the food banks before the truck. So they stopped the truck. But they are now starting to send the truck back but you have to have proof of your income now. And if anyone starts bickering they will end it again. We need those supplies that the food truck brings. It is mainly cleaning supplies and that helps but don't know how long it will last this time. I wish they had places to get clothing here but no free place to get help with clothing close anyway. Good luck and God bless you my friend.
@keshia2007r (2886)
Life has a lot of struggles, and this is just what sometime happens. No, I can't say I'm in the same spot as you. But I understand what you are going through. But what I can do to help is suggest ways to get free food from your favorite places to eat, such as subway, captin d's, and many more. If you haven't already, sign up for their birthday clubs and they will send you free meals on birthdays, and or annually. Good Luck with all.
Wow I never knew this one. I will do this one for sure. thanks
@devijay78 (1575)
Oh giftsandbagscom. My heart goes out to you! I am well provided for by my husband and we do not have to scrape for food, thank god. But there are other expenses that need attending to and that is okay too with the savings I have and we are able to manage. But the end of the month is always a time for not having enough(money wise) and that happens in every family. Hope you are able to get through this week. We do use rice most often than any other food and it keeps the stomach full too. Same with wheat flour which is kneaded and made into rotis. I always have enough food, in fact, more than necessary stocked always so that we do not run out of food to eat.
I can't eat rice anymore so that is out. I will make it i will have to..
I feel you, I went from plenty of money to almost homeless in 3 months, any meal I eat right now I'm grateful for. You could use some of that chicken and rice to make soup with veggies. Chicken alfredo, some other kind of pasta, if you got a few dollars u can get some hamburger and a tomato paste for regular spaghetti. Always good to keep a stock of pasta and rice, can make it descent with some seasonings. Rice is amazingly versatile, can make a ton of cheap dishes with it.
The rice I have but it is a waste. My daughter does not eat rice and I can't enjoy it after having gastric bypass so I don't cook it. I do have some pasta sauce today I will make me some for lunch. I forgot about that in the fridge.
@LaurenInLA (2272)
We recently participated in a challenge in which we ate on a food stamp budget. That was defined for us as $30 per person per week and it was tough. We hade a lot of meatless meals. I usually made a soup made with beans, barley or lentils. Dinner was vegetable based with meat used more as a condiment. I shopped in ethnic stores ie hispanic markets where I could get beans in large quantities and fairly cheap. I bought rice in asian markets. It is doable. I just had to be very creative.
That was what I use to do when I lived near some. Now I am near the hispanc shops I might go in one and see what I can get. thanks
I know, I hate this time of month. Ironically, FEBRUARY was the longest month my husband and I have had in a long time. LOL Then something came up, and he's getting a few hundred more dollars a month. We are good till the end of the month, but we're both looking forward to getting paid on Thurs and Fri, because then we can ralax a little bit, have some fun, and put some away in savings.
I am glad for this. we get our checks on friday and on sat I will be broke.
I actually always make sure at the beginning of the month that there is enough money in the budget to make sure that we are able to eat. This has meant that there have been some times that our utility bills are a little bit late because it is more important to eat than to make sure that the electric bill is paid on time. Now, this doesn't mean that we don't have our fair share of days where our dinner is made of whatever I can put together cheap. Grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup is very cheap and I've also done Manwich or things like that that are very inexpensive to make.
@jazel_juan (15767)
you are not alone! we are on that phase again.. it will still be 2 days till payday, so we are also stretching what we have... we still have cans of sardines left plus some noodles and eggs..that will do for us.. just this morning i did not cook any breakfast, i just reheated some left over viand we had last night plus i cooked my kids porridge since they love that and they can eat that all day with the banana i brought last sunday.. so i believe we can still survive since there are no more extra cash left actually i still have some left this morning but as we were on our way to work my husband said we are running out of gas!! so i have no choice but to use that for gas..and the price of gas then again increased!! so no more pennies left...but i know we will still survive! we will survive!!
Is this just a trivial question for the site here? I wonder this because if you are struggling so much then why would one invest so much time posting & replying on this site? Sure these "hard times" as everyone seems to like to coin & say these days but I fail to understand the world that exists for people that always want to blame their personal trials on everything/everyone else. There is a difference between selective struggle (your choosing) & forced struggle. Perhaps some internal searching would be justified in this case. I am curious by nature & I have had my share of hard times but what I do to overcome those situations is nothing short of everything I can do, what I did do. I shutter to think that I would forgo any fundamental necessities of everyday life in exchange for luxury items, especially if I had children. All I need to do is remember back to my own trials & tribulations. As with any down turn cut backs are essential. I guess what I want to say is that if income wasn't exceeding expense then all the things I could live without would be on the block so to speak. What I find with so many people in our country is that they expect or want to keep on living as if nothing has changed. They feel they are entitled to creature comforts & that is just not the case. Having a computer is a creature comfort not a necessity. Can someone, anyone, seriously tell me that if you had the choice of eating or keeping your computer you would keep you computer? I guess some have within this very topic. I have sold everything of value I had ever built up at one point just to get by or make sure I could pay the rent or bills. Why is that a unique frame of mind? With that said how is struggling or being short on food in this context anything else but a personal choice? There are jobs out there that pay more than the $0.10-$1.00 per hour that you might get from here.
I also struggle at the end of the month with stretching our groceries. It seems that in the beginning of the month we are fine and towards the middle we start having to stretch. Everything is so expensive nowadays. Money does not go very far at all these days! I have started going to local food banks and churches for donations. It helps tremendously!
@dodo19 (26669)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Right now, my husband and I are finding that we are in the situation. We don't have a lot of money, and very little food. We're struggling with this regard. We're both looking forward to the end of the week, when we have some money to play with and get food. It will be nice to do. Everything is tight right now. We can understand and relate to your situation.