Can I grow anything to eat in Ny?

I want to grow something over the summer in my back yard. I don't want to dig up m landlords ground at all. I was thinking of pots of this or that. I like the tomatoes and would try some blueberries too. I am wondering since it gets cold here what would be good for the short summer here. Thanks guys.
@cream97 (29169)
I am no gardener, but I think some plums and peaches would be an excellent choice for you to plant. That is one thing that I don't like about renting, it is the fact that I can't plant yummy fruits to eat during the spring and summer time.
So true cream I so miss my home because of the huge garden that I use to be able to plant anything I wanted. I use to own 36 rose bushes. Oh I really miss it.
I think my landlord would let me plant in the yard. I am worried about all the work it would take to keep his yard in good shape like it is now. Plus the neighbors may try to steal my stuff.
Yeah you will have a problem even with passer bys so my suggestion if you go to home depot is to get the longer planter pots and do it from you porch if you have one or near the window.
Dear giftsandbagscom, I think you can grow tomatoes, peppers, and a few varieties of beans very well in New York. All of these can be grown well in pots and do not require long months to grow. As to the space, you could probably seek permission from your landlord and maybe he will allow you to plant veggies in his lot! Just try asking him.
I nevr even thought about beans. I would love watermelon as well. But,I know it is out of the question.
I have grown hot peppers and cheery tomatoes in plant pots as well. I have kept near the sun-lighted windows and or in pots out in the garden. Feed them veggie plant food sticks and they although a bit delayed have done well.
I am going to look in home depot and see what they tell me too.
@louievill (18130)
hi, there are lots of veggies that you can grow on pots but I just do not know what it is you like or eat ( because of cultural differences), however it you really feel that you want to plant and , really want and you have a green thumb, but limited because of space, try searching and learning hydrophonics, good luck
You could do those tomatoes plants that hang upside down. TOmatoes, peppers and zuchini are both and rather quick. I would check and see what zone you are in and then look on the better vegetable sites and see what things grow quickly and are hardly. Hope you find some yummy things to grow. Happy Spring!
Yes adrian has a green thumb and he is ready to help me with the potting and all. Thanks
Sure. Have fun. I used to have a big vegetable garden and herb garden.
I don't know about the back yard, but there are plenty of things you can grow in an Aero Gro Garden inside the house. My husband and I had one in AZ, and we loved it. Grew all kinds of herbs in there, but you can also grow veggies in there, and all kinds of wonderful things to eat.
I will search this word to find info on it. thanks
way too expensive
@Kirinx (1693)
Ah I live in ny as well :P anyway tho I was thinking just like you are since the prices of veggies are going up here and I would try parsley and small herbs like that.I hear they grow fast and Im not sure but I bet you can grow them in your house.
I have a long window sill that faces the sun. I will try to plant something in a pot.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
When I had my garden in Staten Island some years ago I grew many things. I had tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, strawberries and raspberies, squash. NOw of course some of these you can't since alot of these create a vine. So the things you can grow in a pot are tomatoes, green and red peppers, basil, other herbs that you like to use. I can't think of anything else you can grow entirely in a pot. Here in Puerto Rico some things I start out in a pot but then transfer to the earth like lemons, grapefruits and peppers of all kinds. Good luck to you and I hope whatever you plant grows beautifully.
@sallyj (1228)
In MI, I use large tires and large pots. They drain well. Fewer weeds. Dirt warms quicker. I grow tomatoes, potatoes, brussel sprouts, actually most vegetables grow well in them. I can not imagine a year without tomato sandwiches or fried squash.