What Makes Someone A "Good"Person?

@erikmama (12929)
I was watching a show last night and on the show they were talking about a person that they knew. They stated that this person was a good person who would give you the shirt off of his back. So this got me to thinking about what really makes someone a good person. What do you think makes someone a good person? Do you have to have a big heart? Do you have to give to others selflessly? Can you do bad things but still be a good person? Tell me about the best person you have ever met...
To be a good person in my book you should work hard to help others. Being a great listening is a plus. Being able to give me a shoulder to cry on is nice. Keeping my secrets to yourself is another one. Being a giver without looking for something in return is very nice.
@mysdianait (64381)
I can't add much more to that Turning the other cheek too maybe?
@erikmama (12929)
I think that pretty much sums it all up, too!! but what if you are struggling(like me) and can not help others with money? Are you still a good person if you only have words to help with? I think that you have to be a selfless person to be a good person and not just with money or material things.
@mysdianait (64381)
I don't know what a 'good' person is but I am aware of what a 'bad' person is and does so I try to be good by not being bad. I hope that makes sense I have several people that I admire because I consider them as good people. They seem to have an enormous Heart and never stop helping others, both by being available for them and offering their experience and by helping them physically. They may not always have experience in a certain sector bur they seem brilliant at suggesting what to avoid and steer others onto the right road.
@mysdianait (64381)
"Well at least when I'm around:)" You have doubts about what I get up to you when you don't see?
@mysdianait (64381)
I can be bad too... (after a friend told me that good girls are better when they are bad )
@erikmama (12929)
Bad girls are definitly the best girls!! I think we all have different perceptions of what is good and bad so the answer to this could be so different to each person that you ask. We all know what is bad but can do bad and still think we are good...
@bounce58 (17524)
I think everybody's perception of a good person is skewed differently. I think that as long as someone has done some good for another person, then he would always be considered a good person in his books. Even if he does bad things to other people. I am jaded as a person, because I've been burned a few times. I am not fortunate enough to know anybody who is naturally good.
@erikmama (12929)
I think that we all do have different ideas about what is good and what is bad so to say someone is either is just an opionion that we all are entitled too. You sound like me VBounce. I am a good person deep down inside, but I been hurt so much I feel like just a shell of a person.
@kheydia (883)
The best person i have ever met is the one who had help a lot of people without even asking for anything in return, their goal in life is to give service to their fellow beings, although they also have their weaknesses they also get angry as well but when they help, they really help from the heart whatever it may cause them as long as they can do it. For me they are a good person.
@erikmama (12929)
So in your eyes does it take a person that does for others to be a good person? Is this what defines a good person?? Do they have to help financially, emotionally, or how? What about a person who is, for one reason or the other, unable to help other people?
@kheydia (883)
well, it doesn't to be stop in helping people, it could also include other aspects, like being aware about the happenings in their surroundings, like the nature they should help preserving nature, a good law abiding citizen, and so on and so forth, being a good person is not limited only in one aspect.
@tiffnkeat (1679)
By certain standards, I won't even consider myself a good person, so I don't think I can define what a good person is. However, I sure can tell a bad person when I see one, and the first I see each day is in the mirror. The best that I can be is not even good enough....how sad... I will come back and check how others would rate a "good" person, and hopefully learn from it...and try....at least.
@mysdianait (64381)
I have a friend who ahem... educated me into thinking that good girls are bad
@erikmama (12929)
WHy would you not say that yu are a good person? I guess thinking about it in the standards of our almighty God there aen't a lot of people would qualify as a good person. I can definitly relate what to you said@
@meyrek (142)
• Estonia
i don't know about good person but i think that good friend is trusted and helps always he/she can. And you also have to be good friend not bad friend :D In my opinion good person is person who likes to help other persons not that he wants to help but he likes to help. -.- Meyrek -.-
@erikmama (12929)
You get what you put out, so I think. It is really hard to find a good friend, someone who is a true friend .
halu erikmama, for me, for being a good person,being as you,as long you love and care who loves,respect and care you,help people who needs your help.and you always forgive and you know how to accept your mistakes and ask for forgiveness. thanks BLESS DAY
@erikmama (12929)
Hi Sy!! All of those are great qualities of a good person in my book!!
@terryt52 (245)
I think a good person, is a person that lives by moral values and as close to God's words as possible. Love and respect yourself first so that you can love and respect others. Give to people that are in need, if that is a good listener, moral support, or monetary if neccessary. Give of yourself and expect nothing in return but respect. Try to be kind even when the situation is hard. SMILE and SAY HI that sure brightens a prsons day. Just love people and show it
@erikmama (12929)
I think that this is an accurate description!! Sometimes you may not be able to help one financially or with material things but there are plenty of other wyas!
Sometimes people do good works just so other people could say that they are goo but what if nobody is looking? Would they still do good things for others? And then there are those whom the society labeled as bad persons, but can we really call them that? Well, for me, there's no such thing as a good or a bad person. We are all just people. People who made either good or bad choices in life. :)
@erikmama (12929)
Yes, there are a lot of fake people out there who do the "nice"things that they do just for show. I think that I know a lot of people ike that. But the things is God knows your true intentions, so even if you can lie to people, you can not lie to him, I think that there are bad people in the world. People who, for some reason or another, thrive off getting ahead of everyone regardless of the cost. There are people who love to do mean things to people, too, and in my eyes, these are bad people. I also feel that sometimes bad things happen to good people, and I am the perfect example of that!
@sender621 (14956)
I believe that a good person has to have a good heart first. Anything else is just an added bonus. We all have choices to make. We can be a good person or not such a good person. We have to decide what we want to portray to the world.
@erikmama (12929)
Of course it starts with a good heart. You can't do anything without a good heart. But still what does it mean to be a good person Does it mean helping the homeless or always beig there for your friends? Does it mean helping anyone that you can without a second thought or an alterier motive?
@yspmyl (3438)
I can say a people who is consider a "Good Person" will be someone who know how to read others heart and feeling. That mean a person who always think about other will really take someone heart and that will make a person consider as a "good person". I have not really met someone who are really can consider as "Good person" in my life, there are really not many people that are really good nowadays, most of the people will think about themselves first before they think of others.
@katie0 (5212)
• Japan
Compassion. Just one word, good people do not feel pity, I think that's arrogant, but they feel compassion for all life forms. Good people have a cause and work for it, they love children? They help a child's cancer hospital, an orphanage, they love the elderly? They do volunteer work (I did, yeahhhhh). Love animals? Rescue, be Vegan, (I do both, yeaahhhhh, good person here, LOL)... Just not doing anything bad is making nothing to the world, a person like this is not helping, is not responsible for the World's changes, they are just living in it, their existence it's like an invisible one. A person is only worthed for their heart, not beauty, not money, not nothing, but the heart. Compassionated people, AKA a good person moves this world. In the year 3000 for example I believe everyone will be good, that human kind will be already in another state of conscience so those who in this reincarnation is doing something to make the world better are the ones who might still be living in here when the good time comes. I think the world is becoming better already.
for me, a GOOD person is someone who can understand what others do, and can easily forgive every mistake others have made.
@gelayagui98 (1337)
Many People do appreciate you and telling you, your a good person if they get favor or anything from you but there are those telling you you're bad person because the did not get any favor from you. For me even though how good a person is...there's always skeleton in her closet and it goes also to a bad person even though how bad he is... there's always good in him.
@prabu03 (175)
the person act like a smart and he is character and he nis behivair all are predict the person are good or not