BED WETTING Could Be A Sign Of Health Problem

@neildc (17257)
Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
Hiya myLotters! [i]Most of the members here who are on my friends list are already familiar with my son Zayzay who had sleep apnea and undergone tonsillectomy last December 2010. So for those who aren't familiar with the story, I guess you will will have an idea why I am writing about "bed wetting". It could possibly be one of the effect on Zayzay, that at age 3, he still pees at night. Some could say it's nothing but normal for his age. I know there are children who are over 3 and still pees in their sleep. But if this continues as he grows older, parents should be aware or at least get worried. That probably, there is something wrong with the child. For three nights, Zayzay used only one diaper. We have to reuse that single diaper because each morning, we discovered there was nothing in there. And until tonight (Philippine time) we asked him if he will be wearing diaper or if he will going to pee. He said no, he doesn't want to wear it, he's not going to pee anymore. Probably, a good sign that he is totally healed or the apnea is totally gone, for good. Or it could be that he is turning 4 on the 9th of April? [/i] Anyway, I want to learn from you dear myLotters if you still have children who pees in their sleep? Or if you remember at what age your youngest child stopped from bed wetting? What have you done to stop them from bed wetting? Do you know someone who you could consider, not anymore a baby but still pees, an adult maybe?
hi neil, i know someone he is already 14 but still pee while sleeping because he is so tired the whole day playing and roaming around besides they know that they want to pee but lazy to get up and go to toilet. i remember he said he had a dream that he is drowning he doesn't know he was drown on his own pee I agree with Jaiho's comment have a great weekend
@neildc (17257)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
Hiya Honey! Too tired but he felt the need to go to toilet is not acceptable, in my opinion. That is being stubborn I guess.
@jaiho2009 (39034)
well...being stubborn i guess zayzay inherited from you... don't you think you are being stubborn discussing how zayzay's actions are?...(he's a kiddoooooooooooo) hey brother...he's just 4,and you're 40+
@neildc (17257)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
how come it's my age being mentioned here?
@jaiho2009 (39034)
hello neil, One of my friend having problem with her son aged 7 yrs old and still wet in bed. But it's not everynight,the problem only occurs when the boy gets too tired playing outside then surely he peed in bed at night. My friends had this problem consulted and doctors say's it's normal when kids are too tired from playing,sleep so soundly and can't realized peeing in bed already. Regarding zayzay,he's just turning 4 and like you've said...starting to have a good toilet habit...why worry? (neuro test again?...not for zayzay for sure ugh!!!) Let him blow the birthday candle on 9th of April,and enjoy childhood (enough of neuro test)
@neildc (17257)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
Hiya sis! I read about bedwetting runs in the family which means, there is a possibility that if you sleep wet, one of your parents could have been peeing in their sleeps when they were young. Bedwetting could be inherited, I guess. With Zayzay anyway, maybe it took time for him to stop wetting in bed because of his apnea. They said the brain is affected by the lose of oxygen so probably, he also lost control or he can't feel that he has to go to the toilet. I wish I can invite all of you to come, but. you know.
@jaiho2009 (39034)
My kids have all had mood disorders and have taken medications for it. They were all tested at an early age to see if they had any bladder disorders or anything. Nothing. I feel that alot of kids that are on medication sleep too deep to wake themselves up if they need to go potty. We do have an occasional accident.
@neildc (17257)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
That could be a big possibility for Zayzay, the apnea and the medication.
Indeed it could.
@maximax8 (27048)
When I was a child my friend's sister wet the bed. She was upset that her dad had moved out and a new man had come to live with them. She stopped wetting the bed when she felt more settled. I think that your son might have had an urinary infection when he wet the bed. I know that he should wear a diaper if he is going to continue to wet the bed. I have got a waterproof sheet on my bed and it works like wonders. I had another one like that on my sofa when I gave birth to my daughter. It kept the sofa completely clean. My disabled son wears diapers day and night. He needs catheter care and isn't able to be potty trained.
@neildc (17257)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
My son had sleep apnea for 3 years, that's since since, I guess. We only have noticed how he snores when he was 4 months and doctors confirmed the sleep apnea just in 2010.
hey friend my cousin sister also had this problem, but when they consulted a doctor the doctor told that always keep a 2-3 hours time gap between having dinner and going to sleep. you got this my friend have your son or daughter eat dinner at night and let him/her play or study for 2-3 hours and then allow her to sleep, well my sister got out of this problem by this solution lets hope good for your child.
@neildc (17257)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
Please read my comment in box # 1. Thanks.
@KrauseHome (34153)
Well, I think many times you will have this type of situation when a child is younger as they do have harder to control bladders which is really to be expected. Learning to potty train them is sometimes not easy, but worth it when they can stop for sure. Overall I would not be too worried unless he is doing it all the time, and then it is either usually for attention, or to let you know something is wrong.
@ifa225 (11098)
my youngest kid stop pee in the bed when she just 2 years old. i train her to wake in the middle of the night so she can feel it when she want to. maybe this is his turning Neildc, i am happy that he don't us the diapers anymore, it can save money more i ever pee when i had a bad day in my life i know that is a sign that i have problem that i have to solve in real life
@julyteen (13261)
• Davao, Philippines
I think I stop bed wetting at age 5 or 6 years old. I remember when I was that young kid. My Grandparents invite me to sleep on their house and when I was woke up because of bed wetting around 3am, I was ashamed to my grandparents and I cried that time. What I did, I went home without the knowledge of my grandparents. They think that I was sleep back after they didn't hear my voice crying. I knew how to enter our house without knocking our door so even my parents doesn't know that I was in our house already and sleeping in our sofa. After 1.5 hour my mother heard the voice of my grandpa shouting outside our house asking if I was inside so they immediately check inside and I was there. They woke me up and I tell them the story that I felt ashamed due to bed wetting.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
3 years old is a bit young to wish for a child to not wet the bed. Most kids don't stop till they're 5 or 6 years old. I know I didn't. To help a child to not wet the bed, they're not to drink anything for an hour before bedtime and before the parents go to bed, they need to wake the child up to use the bathroom so that the child has an empty bladder for the rest of the night. It may not stop the bed wetting however, it will slow it down quite a bit.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
My son is nine years old and still wets the bed. Over the years we have tried various different things with his diet, including cutting out foods, using herbal remedies and different other techniques. We have put him through a program which included monthly visits with a specialist as well as having an alarmed bed mat. That solved the problem for about a year, but then came back. That was at age 6 I think. He also kept his bed dry for about a year when he was about 4. We have tried getting him up at night before we go to bed, as well as getting him up early in the morning when we first wake. These things work sometimes and not at other times. Basically all the things that we have tried have worked a little but not all the time or long term. We think it just comes down to how much our son wants to stay dry. He does not mind wetting the bed, he does not mind having to put his bedding in the wash and then having to remake his bed almost daily. He does not mind missing out on sleepovers at his friends house. Once he really starts wanting to stay dry bad enough, then he will be able to do it. Boys wet the bed longer than girls usually and it is quite normal for a boy to be still wetting the bed at your sons age.