Easter chocolates

So Easter is bounding around the corner from us and I was at the store last night and I couldn't believe the assortment of pre packaged chocolates there where. I wasn't sure where to start. We do not usually use store bought candy for Easter preferring to make our own but we will be making some baskets to send over seas to a church sponsored orphanage. Some of our youth group will be going to help put an addition on it next week and will bring the goodies to them. They requested no homemade goodies. So I purchased jelly beans and some chocolates eggs. What else is good. I do not know what a Robins egg is? The looked like M & Ms I think...
@sender621 (14956)
It's amazing how the holidays casn bring out the chocolate craver in so many of us. So much chocolate and so little time before the stomach ache comes because we overdid our chocolate appetites.
Well we have rather strict rules about how much is eaten at any given time and we stick to them at the holidays no matter what. Not to say that my father won't be sneaking them candy as well as my husbands grandfather but he they need their little moments with the kids!
@jillhill (37384)
Our Robin's eggs are like malted milk balls dipped in white covering with speckles on it...they are getting very inventive with the easter candies though..my kids, old as they are love the starburst jelly beans!
@coffeebreak (17820)
Out of curiosity...why don't they want homemade goodies? And also, nothing personal...but why is it always "over seas" orphanages that places help? Why not help orphanages here in this country? No offense or anything, just something I have always wondered...but never asked!
Actually in this case it is personal, to the church of coarse. Our Pastor was an orphan in this particular orphanage and adopted by his family here 26 years ago. He has adopted from there himself. The youth group took a trip (high school age) to a local festival there for St Luke (which is the name of our church) on his referral to see how other country's celebrated our religion. While there they visited the orphanage their beloved pastor was born in (he is so very loved by our kids). When they saw the manner of which they lived they took it upon themselves to help. We would help an orphanage around here if we had one. Our kids and other members do help out at the Woman's center, Cancer hospital and the March of Dimes. I do know what you mean lately it seems like everyone is helping another country and not our own people.
Oh as for no home made items they had some issues with customs when they didn't have all the ingredients on a label last time.
@coffeebreak (17820)
Thanks for explanation. I just always wonder why everyone (this country too) is always there to help other countries, but never this one! So much is needed here, yet no help ever comes yet there is always money and help for every country out there. Why can't we help ourselves for a change? You situation is a little different. That is giving back to what gave to him.
They have some really small egg shaped speckled ones that are called robin's egg or something like that that are good. And the PEEPS kids enjoy. Cadbury eggs are more expensive but they are good. I never cared for the large boxed chocolate rabbits. The chocolate is low grade and not very good.
We did find some Peeps and some water tattoos that my kids think all would like.
Peeps are pretty popular with the kids. Cute too. The water tatoos sound fun.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi. OpinionatedLady. I have seen the Easter eggs that are bubble gum. It has speckled colors on them that look like an Easter egg. Their are starburst fruit chews with the Easter bunny on it. They have many types of chocolate and milk chocolate Easter egg candies with bunnies on them. I hope that the kids will enjoy any candy that you send to them.
I am sure they did. We get to see pictures this Sunday!
@carolscash (9501)
The candy business is one of the most profitable businesses to be in during any holiday season. I worked retail and in a grocery store in the past and those holidays and prepackaged candy were where the money was. We constantly were having a sale during the time that there were not major candy holidays to keep our candy sales up. Many people buy those prepackaged Easter baskets which have really nothing to offer in them, but the kids love them. Easter candy can be fun with Peeps, jelly beans, and all the egg shaped candies that are available. After reading your story as to why you are helping this particular orphanage, I must say that I was so impressed. It's amazing how some people take a rather hard experience and turn their lives into something amazing as it seems your pastor has! My favorite Easter candy is the Cadbury Mini eggs, they are just plain chocolate with a hard shell. I love them!!
Everyone has a story some are just more amazing!
@Suzieqmom (2763)
Cadbury eggs are always a favorite--they have a "yolk" in the middle--sugary eggwhite and yellow yolk--and are surrounded by chocolate, of course. Everyone loves Peeps, of course, and there are now Easter-colored Hershey's Kisses, Reeses peanut butter cups, and plain & nut-filled M&Ms. And there are many different types and flavors of jelly beans--you could get a variety of those, too. If you have already gotten "traditional" ones, you could also get jolly rancher flavors, starburst flavors, and some of the "gourmet" jelly belly flavors. And then there are the variety of chocolate bunnies--white, milk, and dark, filled or solid, large or small, candy-coated. . . good luck and have fun shopping--what a great cause.
W did great with the amount that was donated and it's all gone with the youth group and we should see pictures next week during the Easter Breakfast!
The other night when you were telling us about your husbands job search; I had said, "good things happen to good people". Here you are, sending basket overseas. Do you see what I'm talking about. Easter is one of my favorite holidays. Next to halloween of course. I love the holidays that are all about the children but you don't have to spend the national debt to buy presents and make kids happy. It's too bad that the world has come to 'not homemade goodies'. To me there is nothing better than a bake sale at school or a fundraiser. But the homemade stuff has gotten a bad name because of bad people. I know you'll do great. I would love to help. You should PM me and let me know where or what I can do. I know we don't live in the same state but that doesn't mean we can't all use more help. You're my hero
It is nothing just a few items from the local dollar store! Our kids are leaving Monday so it is probably too late to help for this one. If you would like to help call your local Native American reservation, many have groups they need help with. WE at church help with the Red Feather group who builds new clean homes on the reservations out west. We also do boxes for the kids for school, Christmas and Easter. We personally also do boxes and care packages for our troops over seas another near and dear as we have 4 family members over seas and two to ship out in the next few eeks. Thank you.
@ElicBxn (60762)
the "Robins eggs" are like malted milk balls, with no chocolate unlike Whoppers.
oh ok thanks.