Does it take losing a child to remind you how precious they are?

@cmecu6 (420)
As my family was leaving the mall, my husband heard a little voice calling out for mommy coming from behind him.. He thought it was my son, so he turned to see why my son was calling out for me, but notice, it was not my son, it was a little girl lost,scared and looking for her mommy. He stopped and asked her," are you looking for your mommy?" she said, "yes, mommy gone" He handed her over to me and said to me, she lost her mom. I took her little hand and asked her, "do you know where you're mommy is?" she answered, "no, she was there" I looked around and notice no one looking for a child. I confort her and told her we'll go get help. I walked her over to security and assured her they will help her find her mommy. I told security, the little girl lost her mommy and left her with them and left. As I left the security desk and met up with my husband. An announcement on the intercom " attention Shopper, if you have a child name "kadja" please come to customer service" As we walked towards the exit, a lady with another child in a stroller rushed passed us toward the customer service. The expression in her face tells me she was the mom. It seemed she did not even notice her daughter was missing until she got the car. So, I have to ask? Does it take losing a child to remind you how precious they are? I was angry at the mother for not ensuring her daughter was with her, but at the same time I pity her for having 2 very young child and can sympathize that maybe she was preoccupied, but my heart ached just thinking about what could have happened if the people who found her was not us. What if it was someone with malice intentions? As a mother, I could not fathom the thought of losing my child in this manner, however I know it happens. What if you were that mother, What could you be so preoccupied with that you did not notice your child was not with you? or What if you were the people who found the child what would you want to say to the mother?
Unfortunately, such incidents happen especially at public places like the mall. The kid was lucky that you guys were able to find him and that you were able to seek help from the security desk. You were at the right place and at the right time and it was great that the kid wasn't kidnapped or got lost in the end. The mother might have been so worried the moment she knew that her son was gone. I think that we appreciate and learn to value someone if we lose them even just for a moment. If I were the one who found the kid, I would just have sympathized with the mom and maybe have told her to check on her child once in a while so the kid won't get lost ever again. I'm not gonna say anything rude to the mom 'cause I know that moms have so much in their hands and that sometimes they get to lose control of every thing.
@cmecu6 (420)
Yes, unfortunately this does happen more often then we want them too. I do sympathize with the mother, but at the same time, she is responsible for a child's life and should be more attentive. If she is preoccupied perhaps she should not have taken her children to such crowed places alone.
@tlb0822 (1412)
Losing a child is such a scary thing. Luckily I have never had to experience this. I make sure that my daughter is right by my side or in the buggy at all times. Last week my sister in law and I took our girls to get their easter pictures done, and her daughter was just running off all over the place (she is 5). While I had both my daughters right next to me waiting to get the pictures done, her daughter disappeared. Of course I start panicking, because I never let my daughters out of arms reach, meanwhile her little girl isn't even in sight. I ask my sister in law where she was at and she just calmly is like, I dunno she'll be back. AAhh. Talk about freak out mode for me, I start calling her name, and there she appears out of the bathroom from far down the aisle in the store. I explained to her that some one could have taken her, and she just didn't seem to understand. I just can't see how people can be so trusworthy and not worry about their child running off in the store. It is the parents responsibility to keep track of their children and protect them from harm. I can see in an instance were things are crazy and accidents happen, but in my case it was just kind of like she does it all the time and doesn't worry.
@cmecu6 (420)
I'm like you. My kids must be within arms reach of me. I have 2 boys and 2 girls. I never let my 2 boys go to the men's bathroom if my husband is not around to take them. I'll take them to the ladies room. My older boy hates it, but I told him, I heard too many scary stories... I hate the fact that I can't be at ease about allowing them to use the men's bathroom without their dad, but I rather be safe than sorry. I know we can't protect them forever or from everything, but we should on what we can. Some people can be so calm like your sister in law, but I do hope she realize it takes less than a second for something to go really wrong and be more attentive of her daughter in the future.
If i am the mother, i wouldn't be bringing her with me if i will be doing shopping. She will surely go unnoticed specially if you have to try clothes. When my daughter was still a kid, i would bring her with me if i am to buy something for her only or would only go window shopping. Other than that, i won't bring her with me, lest she gets lost in the mall.
OMG firstly if it were my children and I noticed for a second that she was not by my side I would be screaming bloody murder and in a state of panic. I do realize that kids are quick but a closer eye must be placed while out with the kids. A child in a state of panic for not finding their mom is an easy target to kidnappers. So I would make sure my children was holding on to the cart alongside with me at all times. It is our duty and responsibility to make sure our children are safe, especially at the mall. So having found the child I would have done as you and take the child to security right away. I am surprised they said the name of the intercom because a stranger could have claimed her. Around here the always say we have a girl approximately such and such age and then say what articles of clothing she is wearing.
Indeed children needs to be monitored all the time but what is unique with these children when they are lost is that they tend to go back where they last saw their parent or guardian. I saw parent's before in great haste to search for their children the mall is the most spacious thing for children to be lost.
@neenie (344)
Well, thank god you found her and not someone else that could have hurt her! Do you know how long she was missing for? It amazes me that the mother did not even know she was gone! Like you said, I understand that she had two young children.. but if she can't keep her eyes on both children, she should not be taking them out into the community like that! That just breaks my heart..
@sender621 (14956)
We should show our deep appreciation for every child in this world. Waiting to realize how precious they are and how precious life is should not have to come at the cost of their absence from our lives.
@jaiho2009 (39021)
hello cmecu, That would really be scary if "you" did not find the girl. As we know that some missing kids are abducted from malls. That would be scary if the little girl approached bad people (gives me shivers) I remember having my 3 kids with me going to malls for groceries when they're still young. I always keep an eye for them,keep checking if they are with me. Maybe the mother is too busy with the younger kid,but it's not enough reason to neglect or forget that she still have one daughter with her. Thu it's hard to judged the mother,but still...it's her obligation to always keep checking the other kid,and not relying the kid to follow or keep an eye with the mother. Then again..thanks the little girl was guided by her guardian angel and approached the right people (good ones) Salute you for your kindness. Hope you had a good weekend
Wait, the mall said the kid's name over the intercom? That is SO dangerous! You're never supposed to do that. That's how kids get kidnapped. As for losing the kid in the first place, it really depends. Sometimes the parent is unobservant, sometimes the kid is just that unruly. When I was little I would get distracted and not realize me mom had moved on and I would freak out immediately. When my sister was little, she would wander off ALL the time. She also liked to intentionally run away and hide. She thought it was funny when my mom got upset.
• Oman
Most if not all of us appreciate the value of something or someone when it or s/he is gone. But why wait until it or s/he is gone if you can preserve and value it or s/he now? It really pays to be extra careful and cautious especially when you roam the busy districts of town. When I go to the city with my children, I make sure that my wife or the children's nanny is with us. A parent can't solely look after the needs of at least two children, worst if both are toddlers at a short growth space! We know for a fact that the world outside home is totally chaotic and harmful. Many unscrupulous people & acts prevail and are widely spreading in the air! Being sober, awake, and conscious on what's happening within your personal space must always be noticed and monitored. Not only will the child/ren be harmed but also the parent who are with the child/ren since robbery and kidnapping are just at hand by these extreme elements of the society! We parents always dreamed of enduring the suffering and pain our children experience during a cough, a cold, a flu, or when confined in a hospital for regular medical treatment. But for sure, we can't fathom the stress, difficulty, dilemma, and complications that may arise when later on we noticed that our child/ren is no longer beside us! It really entails additional sacrifice for parents to rear children and guide them as they grow up and grow old.