How to get along with your significant other

Israel
1. When the other person comes home, be genuinely happy to see them. Think of why a lot of people like dogs. When a dog sees its owner come home, it is very happy, wags its tail and comes to get a pet. So, you don't have to be like a dog and way your tail, but smile, and make the other person glad they came home. 2. When working on the computer, and a file gets erased, don't scream like the world ended. (it didn't) The scream puts bad vibes all over the flat and it is difficult to get back the happy mood. 3. If the other person cooked a meal for you, at least say thank you. The other person took time to make the dinner and which might have been used differently. So here are three steps that we can all take to help get along with others who you love. Don't forget to smile all the time. A smile doesn't cost money (ever) and does so much good and can help repair relationships that might be on the rocks. A smile can help you feel in a better mood too! Be happy.
@sweet_pea (3326)
Thanks Rachael for the tips! It seems I can really apply them in my life and can really make one man happy with these. It's like your tips are tailored made for me. I often meet my husband with a frown on my face whenever he comes home late. I often hear him say that I raise my voice when we have a discussion even if I don't mean to and just making a point. I barely thank him for cooking me meals. I think I have a lot to improve on becoming a good wife. Thank you for sharing!
Actually, these tips can go both ways. Husbands can treat their wives nicely as well. I admit, I am shorter tempered and not as smiley and kind as my husband is though. I can be sarcastic and loud, too. I was also thinking that kids can join in the positive behavior as well. I think this discussion is like holding a mirror up to us to see ourselves as well.
• Israel
In the modern world that is so impersonal, we all have to make an effort to show the ones that we love that they really matter to us, and that it does take work from everybody to make a family work. The kids, the parents all have to work on their personal behavior, and if something bothers another person, make an effort not to do that behavior anymore.
I am reading your tips and find them really great. I especially like the third one because it means someone when through the trouble to create a meal, so absolutely I have never complained. I am very fortunate that my boyfriend does cook a lot and sometimes it is not the greatest but because he did so and not me, I have been known to find it finger licking good. lol So true about the simplest things in life not taking any effort to appreciate and smile.
@neenie (344)
Another one I've always liked is to fight naked :) My boyfriend was really mad at me one day, so I tried that... his anger went away pretty quickly!
• Israel
Well, we have young children at home, so that idea will have to go on the back burner, its worth a thought.
• Oman
Well said! After all, it takes less muscles to smile than to frown. It is very contagious that when someone starts to smile, the whole world will smile and never avoid leveling it to laughter as it is the best medicine! =)
• Israel
You have to have the same sense of humor though. . . I don't like practical jokes, and a lot of people do.
@pia005 (11)
I definitely agree, screaming promotes bad vibes. Being someone that easily gets frustrated and panics real fast when something goes wrong (in this case a file gets erased), what's the best advice you can give to not scream as if the world has ended?
• Israel
Train the person to make backups whenever possible, and then try to make a joke about it. If the file was erased, then it probably wasn't good enough anyway and you should have spent the time to rewrite it. So now you have the choice whether to invest the time to rewrite, or to leave it.
@barehugs (8986)
Here is how to tell who loves you more - your wife or your dog! Lock your wife and dog in trunk of your car, and leave them there for short while. When you open the trunk, your dog jumps out first wagging his tail and licking your hands (totally in love with you) Your wife jumps out next, sweating and swearing, (as she slugs you with the tire iron.)
@sweet_pea (3326)
That was funny barehugs! Although, I hope my husband didn't read this or he might just try it. On second thought, I shouldn't be bothered, we don't have a car to start with.
Very good ideas that we can all at least try, and each of them is free, but priceless.
• Israel
I'm glad that you are willing to try new ideas and let me know if one is better than another for you. We all have to be supportive of each other in the modern world.
@grkelly (1216)
• Malta
I loved the way you put the words in your discussion, it was truly worth a read. I agree with you = it is crucial to say thanks even for litttle things, and also that we should keep a smile on our faces no matter how hard it is. The spouse will be pleased to help out if he sees that you are doing your best not to make things worse during hard times or difficult situations. Face things together and you will more likely be able to get through it all. Be polite and reassuring always, while shwoing that you care.
@katrinapaz (2438)
this is very nice rachael! thank you so much! sometimes when my boyfriend visits me, i forget to smile because i am tired of doing the house chores and then we fight because he thinks i am angry with him. NOw i learn to smile when he comes and visits me :)
Wow those things you said are really true. I always do the first one. The second one, i don't. I only say a bad word . and go frantic. For the 3rd one, i always appreciate whatever my partner gives me. I do it with a kiss and a hug. As to smiling, i am always generous with that.
@yugasini (12839)
• Anantapur, India
hi Rachael, dog is the most faithful animal to the people,so most of the persons will have dog as their pets, they learn easily and they help their masters in emergencies,they warn their masters by barking,they protect their masters house from thief,i too like dog but adopting a dog is costly thing to me,so i cannot,have a nice day