The Immortality Drive.......

Boise, Idaho
Have you heard of it? I was watching on the History Channel a show called Life After People. It is talking about what happens after zero population-the end of the world as we know it? No power stations being run, weeds taking over the streets and buildings, windows blow out and animals coming in, mummies that have lived for 3,000 years will slowly decay and mold and become skeletons at last, bodies in suspended animation will decay after the liquid nitragon is no longer pumped in. But it said that a disc of DNA was sent to the satelite that rotates the Earth. So basically it holds the DNA of a cross sections of famous people. It was devised by a software engineer. Very interesting stuff! Are you aware of it? Do you like the idea? Your thoughts.
@JenInTN (27565)
I have watched that before and I loved it! I thought it was amazing to watch how mother nature eventually takes the area back over when there are no people. I saw the one about New York...that one stands out in my mind.
This one had Boston in it but was about all over. Very interesting.
@JenInTN (27565)
Thanks for the best response! It is an interesting show.
I love that show! I think I have seen just about all of them unless there is some new ones I haven't seen. I like to see how nature no matter what the situation comes back and takes over the earth. I like knowing that the Earth can heal it's self from what we put it through.
Me too! I take it you haven't heard of the drive then?
I saw that they put some in space and in an underground storage but I cannot see it being nothing more then a waste of time. If we are all gone who will revive it? If there are other species out there we are leaving traces behind to be experimented on? I just don't see the point in DNA time capsules.
@stk40m (1119)
• Koeln, Germany
I'm not a biologist. I wonder for whom this genetic code would be useful (aliens?). Wouldn't you need a compatible surrogate mother to carry a human being to term? Perhaps there's a universal translator for genetic code, something that will show the 'results' (a human being and its functions) on a computer screen. In that case it would be very interesting and aliens could study us this way :D
Yes, its for aliens after depopulation on Earth.
@dawnald (84148)
• Shingle Springs, California
Zero population will never happen. But interesting concept...
Well, with the depopulation attempts coming up and possible extreme weather and such I think it could get close to zero. The show is very interesting.
So what is this "disc's" purpose is? Is it to repopulate the Earth or something? I've watched a couple of episodes, too. Interesting stuff. Is seems their theory is convincing but I wouldn't know entirely, I'm more interested in what I'm doing now.
I'm afraid that is how most people think. The here and now and look to the future until it is too late. The 'disc' is just that a digitally texted disc with some choice DNA to repopulate with the population goes to zero. And it is supposedly for those from other planets to find too.
I assume the DNA was stored as digital data so other than potentially "kool" for a race visiting Earth and wanting to know about us (which makes one ponder why use "famous" people instead of a nice cross-section of reality), there is not much point to shooting this into space. It's not like it is going to fall back to Earth after we're gone and repopulate the planet with geniuses. AND, why is there no other racial representation. Humans are so humanocentric! Rat DNA is essential to the future survival of this planet! Show the rat some love!
That was my question also. I felt it unfair and unrealistic. AH, rat love!