The old adage what what you wish for...

I just used the old adage "what what you wish for" in another discussion. That was someone wishing for a major depression in this country. It got me to thinking about that. Is it true you think that when we wish for something it may or will come true you think? Or that what we wish for will always work out in some horrible way? I mean I know it means that things don't always seem as good as you might think but could they work out to one's advantage as well? It might be one of the most pessimistic adages I think!
If you mean "Watch what you wish for" I think it means that sometimes in an off minute we might wish someone ill or something like that. We need to watch what we wish on others as well as ourselves. And it can mean that it might over power us too. I think it can work both ways. Not always but at times it does.
It seems that some wishes taunt fate. Never a good move in my book.
I definitely agree with you there.
The adage is "be careful what you wish for". I have wished a lot in the past. So far, nothing which came true that I have regretted. In the case of that person who have wished for depression on a country, if ever it will come true, then such adage might give more impact on the one who has wished for it.
This adage seems to have several versions as I Keep being corrected differently..lol. I have had both good and bad wishes come true and some turn out much differently then I had expected them to.
opionionatedlady I just went through 12 days being a roomie to a womwn who sits on her bed holds her tummy and rocks and rocks til she almost falls off the bed and if you try to be friendly she goes into a worse rocking with tears, and mumbling. She found her husband killed and ever since she goes through this horrible rocking like she is in intense pain. I have an idea she needs to have psychiatric care not be here and nobody trying to help her at all.To have a family member murdered has to be traumatic at the very least and I think she really needs more help than she gets here. she seems lonely but cannot han dle people caring for her,its so tragic. I felt uneasy not scared of her but more worried for her. she seems genuinely lost. and nobody knew who killed him and the case was never solved. could be she might have done it too b ut nobody will ever know as she would not talk to the authorities and was really in a lost mental state from the start.So I am so glad to be back with Kathy my talkative roommie. she means well and actually I am really fond of her. she told me she had missed me as well. so I ha d wished to be away from Kathy and got more than I ever bargained for so I am very careful what I wish for now. Probably it does not always come out bad, I wish to meet a man who wou ld love me as I was and I did and it was a pretty good life. to love and be loved its the most wonderful thing in the world to me.
Wow! Well I am glad you are back with the chatty Kathy (lol) and it has all worked out but I am sure you where sorry you wished away from her in the first place. Wow, Good luck to that poor woman.
@Strovek (870)
I think it has more to do with the Law of Attraction. If many in the country feel that way or think that way with the emotion attached then it is likely to happen. It may not be what you wish for but it's the thought that is predominantly in your mind together with the emotion.
Do you mean that if you put it out there it will happen?
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
I can't imagine anyone wishing for a depression.He must be some kind of nut. I have always heard 'be careful what u wish for'.
They only meant to teach people a lesson about needs and wants but that's what the adage is about watching what you wish for since I am sure they do not really want one.
I guess, that adage doesn't exactly mean negative. It's up to you what to wish for. We could wish for good things to come for ourselves. But that adage could also mean , what we could wish for our enemy. Let's just wish beautiful things for ourselves and for the world. Think positive , so one saying also goes.