Blowing in the wind

Chile
Today I was going to the dentist and heard Bob Dylan´s Blowing in the Wind. It had been a long time since the last time I had sung it while I was taking my shower and as usual, it moved me. Then I read a post here about modern times ( meaning these last few years). And I asked myself: are we really moving forward? The Earth is a garbage can, we have forgotten that we are all brothers, there are wars and disasters and noone cares. I wonder if someone really cares about the disaster at the nuclear plant in Japan. I mean, cares enough as to stop using them. Enough as to making it possible by using each one of us less energy. And today I heard the echo of this old song (Is it modern?) "how many times can a man turn his head,and pretend that he just doesn't see? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind,the answer is blowing in the wind. How many times must a man look up,before he sees the sky? And how many ears must one man have, before he can hear people cry ? And how many deaths will it take till we know, that too many people have died? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind,the answer is blowing in the wind. The answer my friend is blowing in the wind,the answer is blowing in the wind."
@alottodo (3062)
Well modern or not it certainly fit the time now!
I agree! I wish more people heard it again and listened to the words though.
@paula27661 (15900)
I’ve often wondered of anybody who is not directly involved with a lot of the disasters that occur in the world really cares. I am talking about the long term effects to these incidents like the one you mentioned in Japan. I think that daily life has such a fast pace these days and all the majority of people are concerned with is getting by minute by minute and don’t bother looking at the bigger picture and the consequences ahead.
It is a pity, Paula. But we must not give up. Each country, each ideology is made of individuals. We can´t let go. If we don´t, we can be mayority. Have you noticed that if you show by example that "thou shalt not waste", people start thinking before they do? I can even show that recycling is good for our pockets.
@eileenleyva (8604)
If I remember right, Blowin' in the Wind was sung for Pope John Paul II in the 1995 World Youth Day. Everyone was moved to tears because it was as if there was no hope in this world. And JP2 touched the face of the singer, as the song ended, and he said, The answer is Jesus, my friend, the answer is Jesus.
I don´t feel this song means lack of hope. As long as people are aware of the problems, there is hope. Then we have to DO something about it.
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Even though it was released as long ago as 1963, Blowing In The Wind is most appropriate for today. Dylan wrote it in reference to the civil rights' movement I think but it is a broad enough subject to apply to any of today's civil arguments. As to the nuclear plants, the folks up New York way have organized a protest against their local plant. I doubt that they will be successful in stopping its production, but I think it shows that there are a few who care. It's going to be a political football in the country for a while and then die out when interest wanes as these things usually do. Then again, if the US sustains a major disaster related to any of the plants there will be pols hollering, "I told you so." So the answer will still be blowing in the wind.
I find it appropiate too, yoyo. But I do think that Dylan went farther than the civil rights movement when he wrote that song. If it had been only a song that meant something for a specific country, if would no have had the appeal it had in others. Some songs do beyond frontiers and political situations. I also remember a german song sung by Pete Seeger in the 60s. Die gedanken sind frei is a song from the early 18.. in its present form. Those songs stay.
@daeckardt (6245)
Thanks for sharing this. I know that it is hard to think about these things if not reminded once in a while. It seems like so many times people don't give much thought to anything going on in the world until it is sensationalized in the media. But then people have become immune to the sensationalization. I guess that is why I stopped following the news for the most part. People really have become blind to what is happening in the world. I just wish there were a way to open people's eyes. Have a great day!!!
I have thought a lot about that, thinking also how little I can do. But then I remember that if we all do a little, maybe we can get big things done. I tried to pass on my feelings about mankind to my children and they are doing the same to their children. I don´t mind if people think I´m a witch, but I like to preach respect for everyone, no matter his race, beliefs or culture. If we can open just a couple of people´s eyes, maybe we can move the mountain. I downloaded a searchbar freerice.com and give 5000 grains of rice a day by using it instead of other search engines. I know 5000 grains of rice is almost nothing for the 2 billion undernourished people. But I hope it helps and I pass the link (belongs to the WFO, so it does not have virus) Take care Debbie!
@daeckardt (6245)
I have gone to that site several times. In fact I earned 1160 grains of rice by answering vocabulary questions right. I didn't see the search bar, but I will look for it. If many people do that every day then maybe we can make a difference as a group. One person can't do it all, but if we all do a little it should help. Have a great day!!!
@jak2010 (1550)
• Papua New Guinea
You indeed brough back fond memories, this was one of the old songs my school ususally loved it and always wanted us his students to learn. When we do not the tune or notes right, you would stick and hold us after hours to sing it right before he lets us go. I can sing as I sing respond to your post. Thanks
It seems that this song brings memories all over the world. Some songs never die and I hope some ideals don´t either. Take care, friend!