What is the meaning of....

@debrakcarey (19925)
LIFE? I want to hear what you think the meaning of all this suffering and craziness is. Why are we put here? What is the conclusion of it all?
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Hi, Plato defined life as the reflection of the original life that is somewhere we do not know. Hence whatsoever happens in this life happens for a certain cause and has to happen for it is bound to happen. The only thing that we have in our capacity is our 'free will'. With the free will we can slightly change the course of action but can not completely undo it. Happiness, sorrow, pain, pleasure - everything makes our life. If you want to realise what exactly life is I suggest you to read the English version of the "Geeta". Or if you wish I can send it to you.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I've read parts of it. I just don't agree with 'fate' and 'reincarnation' aspects of Hinduism. Don't get me wrong, there are many teachings there that make sense to me. Just not all of them.
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
That is the problem debra. Had you read it completely and tried to entered into it I think you would get into it. And about Hinduism people misinterpret it as a religion. This is rather a way of life. If you believe in the scientific theory that energy can neither be created nor destroyed then you have to think about incarnation or recycling of life. I am not imposing you but just pointing out.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I have thought about it...and find a much more comfortable belief that we live on, but are not recycled as you say. As I understand Hindu thought, in being reincarnated the soul is given another chance to get it right, or to improve upon its path to the 'divine' or nirvana? Am I getting the terminology correct? Forgive me if I am mistaken in the words I use. It is in trying to do good that you are redeemed eventually? my faith is that the Creator has given us choices and also a way to find forgiveness...a Creator who is personal and loves His Creation. In my faith, love provides a way to be redeemed from mistakes or bad choices or outright rebellion. He (GOD) became one of us to show us by example that our 'wrongness' can be overcome by His perfect love. He is perfect love and wishes our completion and reuniting with Himself. All along it is His love that matters. If we choose that love over our own selfishness, we are redeemed. Of course, if we really have chosen that love, our lives will reflect it. Like the example of Mother Theresa. I have read the life of Ghandi...and he too was a good example of humanity. It makes no sense to me that he would have to come back and try again. I prefer to think that he understood perfect love and its power to save us from ourselves.
@dragon54u (31298)
It's all a chess game between good and evil. All the suffering is to show that people will remain good and faithful while the evil tries to get them to renounce their faith in goodness. We are here to prove that goodness is stronger than evil. In the meantime, we live our lives as best we can.
@debrakcarey (19925)
And we are pawns?
@dragon54u (31298)
Yes, we're the pawns that are moved around, sacrificed, used in war, etc. Our ability to retain our innate goodness and love proves or disproves Lucifer's belief that we are not worth God's time or love. This started long before we were here, when Lucifer and God had a falling out about power--the cast out angel still loved God and tried to reconcile on his own terms, or so it says in legend. God made man to prove to Lucifer that goodness, love and unselfishness was the way to be happy and back in His good graces. It's more complicated but that's it in a nutshell. At least, that's my theory.
@debrakcarey (19925)
Anne Rice deals with that aspect in her Vampire Chronicles...a supposedly evil creature with redeeming qualities that worries about his eternal standing with the Creator. And the Jewish mystics also dealt with that in their writings and in the Kabbalah. The book of Job in the Bible also deals with the idea that God is approached by Lucifer asking if perhaps Job only loves Him because he is so rich. Lucifer fell, he was thrown out of heaven. Was it just for asking a simple question? No, it was for saying God was not HOLY. We need to really understand that word. And it is very difficult with finite human minds who do not see in this world, pure HOLINESS. We strive for it, and find always that we do even the good things we do, for selfish reasons. That is what human philosophy and psychology have concluded. We do what we do to survive, or to feel superior. Even the good things are clouded by ulterior motives. But each of us has a spark of God within and desires to be Holy. Perfect. Unblemished by ulterior motives. It is hard for me to accept that Lucifer has any good qualities... Perhaps his long separation from the HOLINESS of God has turned him into the rebel and foe of what is good that he is. Perhaps that is the lesson we should learn, the closer we get to God the more we take on His Holiness and the further we stray from God the more evil we become?
I think life is a mixture of everything happiness, sadness, love and et cetera. There's no definite meaning when it comes to defining life and its purposes. I think we were put here to live and make something of this world. I think we suffer and cry and go through hard times so we can learn and grow into someone better.
@debrakcarey (19925)
But then after all that hard work, we die?
yea we die. So because we're soon to die we should just become parasites and not work hard?
@debrakcarey (19925)
No, I did not mean that. I meant that what is the reward for all that hard work? If we work, we expect a return. Humans want to know it matters, what they do. What is the return on all our hard work? What makes it matter in the larger scheme of things?
@ptower76 (1619)
Who can really say that they have that answer? If we render the question to it's simplest form the answer is, propagation of the species. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. I think that if we try to make sense out of the suffering and craziness we will lose our focus on what truly matters. Who can figure why people do what they do? Can we explain the German concentration camps, or the genicide in Rowanda for example? Can we truly explain the virtual extermination of the millions of inhabitants in this part of the world or the constant struggles that end in such suffering around the world today? Each one of us is a part of the biodiversity that exists on this planet and the conclusion is that we will live and die and life goes on. Many say God has a plan for us, I still have not figured it out. Perhaps we can each find the answer to why we are here before we die. If not, what does it matter once we're gone? I like to think that the reason I am here is to teach those that wish to learn and perhaps ease the suffering of some.
@debrakcarey (19925)
So its all about reproducing? And then we die?
@ptower76 (1619)
No, its about finding one's place in the grand scheme of life in between.
@debrakcarey (19925)
and when I find it, then what? I'm not trying to be an idiot here, just wanting to know the details of what you believe. What is the grand scheme? and if and when I find it, and my place in it, then what do I do?
@tkonlinevn (5784)
• Vietnam
As me, everyday is happiness. I know that I was put here to enjoy life. I want to know what will happen in tomorrow.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I am glad you enjoy life! But if you were hungry all the time, in fear for your life on a daily basis, and had no hope for it to change? What would be your outlook then?
@Rollo1 (16681)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Like everyone, there are days when I wonder why we are here and what is the point to all the suffering we endure. Like everyone, there are days that I bask in sunshine and believe that nothing is more beautiful than the nature around me. It's a beautiful world, but it's full of people and they are not all full of beauty, they are flawed at best and depraved at their worst. My bottom line is that we are here because God chose to create us here. There must be a purpose in that and there is. Life teaches us about love and hate, it teaches us about relationships. Because these relationships are with other humans, they are imperfect, our love for each other is imperfect and incomplete. Still, they allow us to learn of love and relationship so that we may envision the love and relationship that God has created for us to live in with Him. Similarly, the beauty we perceive around is imperfect but is a shadow of the beauty that we may experience in God's presence. Think of a well-rendered painting of a breath-taking nature scene. We will see the beauty but we do not experience it fully. No matter how skilled the artist, this is still a two dimensional, lifeless picture of something that is alive and three dimensional, something that we would normally experience with all our senses. We can't feel the cool of the breeze, touch the soft grass, smell the flowers or even stub our toes on the rocks. We can imagine these things though by looking at the painting. Through Life we learn about the dimensions we can't see or feel or experience. We learn about love that is greater than we believe humans are capable of. We choose to pursue the qualities of God and good, or we choose the qualities of evil. I saw a news report about a man who has brain damage that has left him with the capacity of a young child because at the age of twelve, he dove into a river to save his little sister from drowning. This is perfect love of the kind we rarely experience. Greater love hath no man than he lay down his life for his friend. It's a rotten world, it's one that breaks our hearts daily. But there is still love and beauty, charity and forgiveness. We must practice to learn these things and wait for them to be perfected.
@debrakcarey (19925)
Its all about choice. Who or what is your god? I like the analogy of a painting. We live in a four dimensional world...height, breadth, depth, and time. Science is telling us there may be more to just these three dimensions...we who have chosen to follow God...knew this all along. There is more to it than what we see with our senses.