The Reviews of "As seen on TV" and infommercials

@suspenseful (40316)
Like many, I do not exactly trust what I see on the infommercials. Now some I have had good luck, but that is because I read the directions and used them properlly and I realized it might take at least 6 to 8 weeks for them to get here. And since we have a Showcase store, I can see the stuff myself and decide for myself. So the other day, since now I am in a cast, I went to check an item I was very interested in and that is already in our Showcase STore. Well instead of the first reviewing saying "I plugged it in and it overheated,:" or "the thermostat came off,"or something about the failure of the item to perform as stated on the infommercial, the writer complained about how long it took to come to his house and the letters following said in their own words, "Thank you, we will not buy this product." You see, when we go to the reviews to check the infommercials we see on late night Tv, we want to know first how the product works, whether the knobs fall off, whether the material is flimsy because the makers also want to know how to improve their product. Do you find the reviews as little help to you, as I do?
@stephcjh (32327)
Yes. I think the reviews help out alot. I read through them to see if they are good or not before deciding to buy something.
@suspenseful (40316)
The trouble is are they reviewing how the product works or how much time it takes to get it to your house. I find in many of the review sites, the first reviews are not if the product worked or it did not but it took way too long to get it, the shipping charges were too high, they wanted me to subscribe to their email notification, etc. and had to pay for much extra to receive the recipes. Well I am more interested in real reviews, reviews that tell me that the product lasts as long as it says, that the material is good, etc. And I have been on many review sites, but in most the first thing that comes up is "I wish I had never ordered ------- because it took eight weeks to get here."
@zeloguy (4913)
I know there is a web site out there that reviews the products that you see on TV. I am not sure what it is and I wouldn't post on here for fear of being taken down. It is really good though. It is video and rated from * to *****. I am ALWAYS skeptical of anything I can't return (preferably without having to pay return postage) and infomercials are right up there with shopping channels like HSN and QVC. Not too far away are very reputable sites like Amazon and Newegg.com but even those I am going to be sure what I am buying before I buy it! Thanks, Zelo
@suspenseful (40316)
We have Showcase here in Canada in many of our Malls that feature the As Seen on Tv as well as in our Zellers, Walmart, and Home Outfitters. (I do not know about if other stores show the products, but the ones listed are the ones that feature most of the products and at Showcase, I can also purchase a warranty. Of course, being mechanically challenged, for me that is a good thing. But I am more concerned with the reviews that tell that the product is defective or is just junky. Yet I have to go through all the reviews that say "I waited for fourteen days," etc. before getting to the reviews that really count, that tells me, get the product or not get it.
@zeloguy (4913)
There are plenty of web sites out there. Search for "reviews as seen on tv" and you will find all kinds of web sites. Consumerreview or something like that has reviews of Cons/Pros but no video. The other web site that I was thinking of that I didn't find as of yet has actual video so you can see the product in action by a 'real' person. NOT a commercial. Hope that helps. Zelo
@suspenseful (40316)
I went on Youtube and there was as demonstration of a product that is available in the States but costs a lot to ship here (plus we have that darn gst and pst to pay as well). I see quite a few reviews, but what are the honest ones and what are ones by people who do not like As seen on Tv, I think I did see Consumerreview, but is that not under Consumer Reports and do you not have to have a paid membership; to get the reviews?
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hello suspenseful, since I have internet, I come around and try to find any reviews as possible. I love to reach communities review, so I won´t buy wrong things. =) I love internet communities and forums, we are not more alone!! ? Don´t you think so? Blessings!... Dainy
@suspenseful (40316)
I do not like to buy junk but there are some products that I would like, and there is one product that I bought after seeing the demonstration on Tv. It was designed for older people, those who were living alone or jut couples, so when I saw it I realied that it was not designed for families. It has worked very well for me. Then I read some or rather many reviews that said it burnt out, the finish came off, etc. and the food burnt. The point is that even some of those reviews one cannot trust because people do not read the directions and I had something thrown away when my friends were cleaning the house before we came home after getting our house renovated. They assumed it was junk, and would not work. WEll when I got it I read the directions. So sometimes people just assume that AS Seen on Tv means that it is crap.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Mmmmm I understand though. Haha, well is true, there we are the ones that don´t read instructions, right! So would you suggest to ask some trustful source? Blessings!... Dainy
@suspenseful (40316)
I would ask a trusted source. I would also go to a site where they test the item. I went on a site where reivews were made of the Ah Bra and the Geni bra. I read the reviews of those who actually bought the bras and decided it was not for me. They were not about the shipping or how long, but that they were not good for anyone who needed a lot of support. When I bought the Sham wow, I had read how good it was by actual owns. I did not get that chopper thing because I learned that mushrooms get stuck in it and I did see a couple at Value Village, our thrift shop. If it were any good, they would have not gotten rid of it.
@anniepa (27238)
One of our local news stations does a "Does it really work?" feature each week and I've found that to be helpful, if I remember to watch it. They take the product right to local consumers and have them try it out and tell the audience in their own words what they like and don't like about it. Of course, it's only one product per week so you don't get to choose what you'd like to see reviewed. Actually, I think you may be able to send in suggestions but there are thousands of responses every week so the chances of getting chosen are about the same as winning the lottery. For the most part I like to get my "reviews" of product through word of mouth from people I know. Everything seems to work so well and to be so easy on TV but when you get it and try it for yourself it's a different story! Annie