How do you thought year 2000 would look like

Calgary, Alberta
Most likely you will be able to relate with this topic if you are already thinking a human being during the 90's , 80's, 70's , 60's or decades older... I remember watching some sci-fi stuff from the 80's and 90's , they predicted year 2000's will have some sort of over the top technology like flying cars, robots everywhere and other unrealistic technology beyond our imagination. But heck its already year 2011 and none of those technologies are existing now, well some of them sorta existed but not mass produced. I also remember some old sci-fi movie again thinking that buy year 2005, cops will be wearing rubber bullet proof battle suits and their guns have lasers, but didnt happen. 20 years ago or even much older, what technology you thought would have existed by this year but didnt happen? 20 years ago I was 5 years old and I really thought flying cars will be among us by year 2000 but until now robots are being developed in labs.
Flying car Already made but as it's too much expensive that's why no much popular. Robot are using in different purpose but as they are expensive that's why couldn't use every where. Within 20 years i do believe that many people will educated and literacy will down.I do prefer that flying car or robot will be cheap but i am sure that will not within 20 years needs some more times for it. Have a good time!
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
I think 20 years is right for the robots. Tey have got nearly all sorts of these - starting from those who can mop, cut vegetables, and even cry. The only catch is they are quite expensive and so unless the productions start for commercial purposes, the costs may not be less. Same for Flying Cars though they are still distant and would be about 30-40 years before they get commercial.
• Calgary, Alberta
I think i had seen a flying car already existing but its too impractical to mass produce. They predicted tv phones will be a regular part of human life but it didnt really happen, since we have cellphones and internet instead. they predicted us to have crazy outfits and hairstyle.....
Hahaha, I was thinking the same when I was still a kid. I was so excited for the year 2000 because I really wanted to see flying cars. I remember 'Back to the Future Part II' because it had all sorts of cool gizmos: the flying cars, holograms, auto-fit/auto-dry clothes, hoverboards, and so on. I thought those would all be possible in the 21st century but it seems like we're still far away from those. The thing that was really enhanced in our current time is fast-paced networks of information sharing, something not really thought of in most old movies. Pretty interesting.
• Calgary, Alberta
yeah no novel or movie is able to predict internet will exist. But on the other hand around 50's (correct me if I am wrong) that movie said the earth will be ruled by big brother by 1984 and it didnt happen. I think there is an anime during the 80's titled macross, In that anime their vision of year 2000 is just crazy. there will be human habitat in space and human have wars against aliens.... I think the year explroed in Back tot he future is 2015 and its like 4 years from now.
@AdalieM (1135)
If you have seen back to the future, that's exactly how I imagined it to be. Flying cars, flying toys, pretty much everything flying, oh, and have you seen the fifth element, people not only flying cars but being able to travel to other planets, you no longer have to make up your own bed, just press enter and it would be done automatically just for you. Overall, a lazy world! less work, more fun getting to places.
• Calgary, Alberta
I saw that movie when i was like 4 and until now I cant forget it, yesterday i watched it again. I remember as a kid also expected the flying ,animated news paper and multi-channeled Tv but we didn't get them, cars still dont fly, We get itnernet instead of animated news papers and we cannot travel to other planets yet. T_T (cries)
@Porcospino (17724)
• Denmark
I use pictures from old magazines in my art and I often buy some very old magazines. In one magazine, I think that it was from the 50's or the 60's there was an article about life in the year 2000. I was interesting to read the predictions. Some of them were wrong for instanse: "By the year 2000 cars will no longer exist everyone will be flying around from place to place" but some of them were strangely accurate especially predictions about the things you would be able to do on the internet. Of course they didn't call it the internet, but they described many of the things that are possible today like the ability to talk to people from other parts of the world through a computer. I the 80's or the 90's I also remember some of the predictions about the future. My classmates and I talked about life in the year 2000 and we thought that robots would be a very big part of the daily life and that there would very few things that people would have to do. I imagined that we would order groceries through the computer and a robot would deliver them at our door. Today it is possible to order things through the internet, but it still a human beeing who delivers the things and not a robot.
• Calgary, Alberta
I saw a documentry around 80's about how life will there be in year 2000 and all of their predictions were miserably wrong. they predicted by year 2010 humans will have longer lifespan, apparently not, people seemed to die even much shorter. I think they even failed to predict that there will be flat screen television and cellphones. Then there is back top the future, their vision of future is not event out current state, we dont have flying skateboards. The cops still wear ordinary uniforms, no one is wearing rubber skin tight battlesuits.