utterly confused about my roses

Well being april things are starting to turn green again. So I was checking out my roses to see if there are any new canes starting. There really shouldn't be much of any growth really til june. So I just left the canes as usual over winter hoping to see them do some growth in spring. I've had roses for maybe 5 years. So wondering around I glance at them and the old canes have buds on them for leaves. WTH!?! They are finally acting the way they are supposed to!!! I had consulted w/ my neighbor who has climbing roses and she said hers don't grow back on last years canes either. Anyone here able to explain why they've never grown on the old canes til now? Is it because they take a few years to fully establish themselves? The varities I have are Don Juan & New Dawn both climbers that don't really climb much higher than two feet or so by the time fall comes.
@savypat (20246)
On our older roses new canes come from old ones, I don't have climbers at this thim but it seems that this is what they did also. Now each year some of the old canes die but this is normal. If it gets really cold here I have lost the whole plant back to the root stock, but that will put out new canes. the trouble being that the roses you want at grafted to the root stock and the new canes that come from there have different roses or maybe none at all.
So perhaps it's been too cold other years for the canes to survive? We didn't get many below zero days if at all this winter thankfully.
I don't know anything at all about climbers. However, I will say that I was looking at my rose bush today and I'm surprised about how mine is behaving this year as well. It has had leaves on it for about three weeks, but when we went out to go to the store earlier, I noticed that there were buds on it. Not just one bud here and there, but probably hundreds of buds. I know that it is going to be absolutely beautiful when they start to bloom out. I would probably give it a couple more weeks judging by what I saw today.
Not warm enough here for leaves but there are buds for where the leaves will be on both. New Dawn is a good bloomer it's just climbing as expected to... it's supposed to be a very tall rose and for me it has never gotten taller than say 3 ft and all the canes die and I get new canes in late spring. As I said it's totally throwing me off my game this year.
I had so many roses in my old home and was very successful year after year. But it was not until I learned a few tips from searching online and asking garden centers. I am wondering if during the end of summer when you cut them down do you mount the dirt over the entire base of the top of the ground close to the roots. Also as the roses immediately begin to wilt do you prune them? It is important to prune them as soon as possible and often because it is my understanding that by not doing so all the energy of the rose bushes energy concentrates on wilting the rose and not the reproducing. Hope this helps.
Honestly I can't even see the point where the canes meet the roots. I have a 2 ft high wire cage support around the New Dawns because the rabbits would eat. Sadly there's grass that's grown in the cages and I get out as much as I can and in fall I dump all the grass clippings and leaves I can find into the cages. I usually prune the spent roses within a day or so of them wilting as I don't want them to make rose hips. Oh and I didn't cut them down last year either I left them as is aside from the spent blooms which I removed. I was a bit lazy as I often get in fall when it starts getting cold.
hi 3Snugglebunnies if I were you I would buy or loan out a copy of western Gardens handbook currentyear as it had always been my bible for care on roses. and it has sections on how to for every state in the US. Also it tells just how to prune your roses and when to prune them. we alway pruned way back and thus we had tons of blooms this was back in my childhood in South Dakota.Iused to think watching my granddad prune that he was overdoing it but he truly knew what he was doing. when I was first married we had a house of our own and my hubby did the prunning and he also pruned way back we had some really great roses.So Western Gardens is for all over the US not just western states.
@petersum (4525)
The rose is a completely false plant manufactured by grafting. What you are seeing is possibly the wild rose stock reappearing, or an attempt to make runners. Proper pruning is required in order to get a healthy decorative rose. You probably didn't prune enough, or at all.