Scramble stands killed the oldschool scrambles pushcarts

Calgary, Alberta
Scramble is 1 of the most popular street junk foods int he Philippines, they have been around I think ever since I was a kindergarten and maybe it has been around even before I was born. 2 years ago I can still see scramble push carts, You know some man is pushing a cart just like the dirty icecream vendors. Oh for the foreigners who is reading this discussion, to make you guys understand, scramble is a dessert junkfood, its basically strawberry flavored crushed ice with powdered milk, tapioca pearls and chocolate syrup as toppings. last year, Scramble became mainstream in the Philippines, there is a scramble business everywhere. There are now scramble stands almost every street and there are also scrambles in the malls. But these are modernize scrambles, there are no more tapioca pearls, candy sprinkles, marshmallows and chocolate chips. Then it has other flavors now aside from strawberry. because of these new modern scramble stands, The poor scramble vendor guys already lose their business, I don't see any scramble pushcarts traveling around the streets since every street have a scramble stand. It became commercialized.
@mspitot (3834)
having those stands I think brought positive and negative effects. Negative cause it kills the old school scrambles. Positive cause it brings opportunities to people and those who are old school scramble vendor will be more competetive and will think of better ways to improve their product.
• Calgary, Alberta
I think some of those old school has scramble vendors were selling something else now because I don't see any of them anymore
@mspitot (3834)
They are still around us. The same vendors still route in different baranggays here in our place.
• Calgary, Alberta
So they were still existing in your area, in my city they were completely gone because in every street there is a scramble stand.
scramble business of the old pushcart variety was already dwindling long before the modern scramble stands/stalls came out as a franchise biz. perhaps the upkeep was more costly than profitable because of the continuing price increase in sugars and other basic elements of the product. when neighborhood convenience stores were introduced several years ago, ice crazed fanatics can already buy slurpees etc anytime they want to and not just during the day or during hot summers. talking about convenience. also, a few years after that, zagu and other iced drinks franchise went full force in the market. more flavors and bigger tapioca pearls than that of the ice scramble. also fastfood now offer similar dessert drinks. the modern scramble stands/stalls actually brought back the feeling of the oldschool pushcart variety. introduction in malls went crazy for a time because many people actually missed this old iced dessert/drink (or whatever we call it hehe). it may have put a stop in the old pushcart scramble but it reintroduced to the market an old-time favorite and revived the business. i guess everything has its good and bad effects. but when it comes to business, we have to keep up with the modern times. i hope old-school vendors realize this. for whatever it's worth, i believe the old scramble as i remember it as a child, tasted so much better than the modern one. hehe
• Calgary, Alberta
wow that is a good observation, you make a good point about how its been dying the pastd ecade due to the other modern junkfood iced desserts out there. Pearl shakes is the first threat that ruined it along with slurpee, shakes and the nail in the coffin are the modern scramble. The modern ones have more flavors to offer aside from strawberry with chocolate. Plus the modern toppings are more colorful and more attractive to kids. I remember the time when the pushcarts of scrabbles are still there, its price is from 2 pesos to 5 pesos, Now its from 5 pesos to 20 pesos. I even saw some people enjoying over the top toppings, as in different candies as toppings,. The vendors of the oldschool crambles must have shift to other jobs and business.
while i was out yesterday, the kids at home was able to sample and make their own version of scramble with all the toppings available for their use right in our own home. my brother-in-law bought all the ingredients and more. and my sister bought an electric ice crusher which makes very fine crushed/shaved ice at par with that of razon's halohalo. since i got home very late in the evening, no more scramble for me. hehe but the good news is that we can make some more later today. now, to add to the list that links to the disappearance of the old-school scramble pushcart business... is the "easy-do-it-yourself" kit. more people find it more convenient and less expensive to enjoy such desserts at the comfort of their homes rather than off the streets. old school scramble pushcarts cannot cover the expense of over-the-top toppings, so i doubt they would stay long in the business with all the demands of the current market.
• Calgary, Alberta
I saw those starter kits in the groceries, The biggest survivor of the push carts in streetfoods will be fishballs, despite of the fishball stands everywhere, it still keeps on growing strong. dirty iceacream is also a toughie.
@moirai (1853)
Aww. That's sad... Although I don't actually remember the old scramble you described. I actually thought scramble is a new thing. =P In any case, sad for the old scramble street vendors. Hopefully, they found an alternative source of living. Or maybe they are the ones in the malls now. =P
• Calgary, Alberta
[b]I WANT TO CORRECT MY TYPO ERROR: What I mean is that the modern scrabble gets rid of the tapioca pearls, its replaced with mashmallows, candy sprinkles and chocolate chips. [/b]
@kisstin (93)
I prefernow to buy at malls because i know it is clean and safe to eat. Whenever i see locals sells those on street i doubt on buying but now im glad i could enjoy it too without risking my health. :P it is a good thing but feel sorry for those still on pushcarts business .
• Calgary, Alberta
I think the pushcarts are gone for good, People will trust mallfood over street food for sdure. speaking of push carts, fishballs and squidball carts survived a lot of years despite of the mall and stand fishballs and squidballs.
That is a sad plight for the old scramble vendors. Maybe it not really the modern scramble stands that put them out of business but the intense heat which quickly melts the ice in their carts. I think they even have an advantage over the modern stalls because these vendors sell their scramble right at our doorsteps. They do provide customers with an added premium -- convenience. I have never tried this so called junk food. Maybe I should try it on one hot summer day. It sounds like a refreshing dessert to me. Oh, but on second thought, it might not be good for me because it contains powdered milk and I am lactose intolerant. If I can skip the milk then maybe I can try it.
• Calgary, Alberta
Based on what I see I think the venfors of then oldschool scrabble already quit because I dont see any of them anymore ever since the Scrabble stands pops up like mushroom I see a stand on almost every street plus the modern ones offers more toppings, the oldschool ones only have tapioca pearls and Powdered mil while the modern ones have a variety. I guess the chocolate syrup will do for you.