What traditions do you really like and fear might be fading away?

@stary1 (6622)
I think traditions are fascinating as different cultures have their own special practices. Wearing hats used to be popular in the US years ago, but frankly I never thought they were all that 'wonderful' and I actually do not like them as a fashion statement. The Catholic church used to require hats but not anymore. I am happy to see that tradition go away. I remember as a child the Nuns would put a Kleenex on our heads if we forgot a head covering for church :( In th South there used to be a tradition of wearing skirts and nice clothes to college, but over the years that has changed. I don't mind that so much, but I think the way some come dressed to Church is actually disrespectful. Then don't have to be all dressed up, but torn jeans and sloppy clothes are not appropriate in my opinion.
@_sketch_ (5709)
I don't think that a person should be judged by such minuscule things as their clothing. If they are wearing torn or sloppy clothes maybe it is because they can't afford anything better. If I believed in Jesus and he returned, I really wonder how many churches would even let him inside.
@stary1 (6622)
Thank you and I agree with you in that I think it is important not to judge others. There is a difference though between sloppy and neat dressing no matter what the quality of the clothes. I think Jesus would be neat, not sloppy :)
@_sketch_ (5709)
Maybe, maybe not; I wasn't there. I'm just saying, if someone can only afford a pair of shoes, I doubt it's going to be dress shoes. Homeless people can't worship I guess either. And I'd guess that most people would assume Jesus would dress or look a certain way. But if he wants to test somebody, maybe he would come back a different way, to see how people would treat him.
@stary1 (6622)
Doesn't have to be dress shoes to be neat. If a homeless person goes into church to pray I doubt I or anyone and certainly Jesus, would not fault them.
@Adoniah (7515)
Most people do not know how to dress to look their best. They go out looking like they are wearing clothes that belong to their younger siblings. Nothing fits in a flattering way. When did it become a fashionable look to show off a blubbery belly or a butt that was the size of Mt. St. Helens? And when did bra straps become fashion statements? I personally like hats. I wear them a lot, but that is just me. Actually I have a number of friends that do also. Maybe it is cool because folks don't wear old fashioned hats anymore and it is different now...
@Bryanx54 (644)
your bang on about the fashion of women lately, with the hardly fitting clothes it makes me wanna cringe, those poor people. Yes and i agree with the loose fitting dresses, i tell girlfriend to wear a loose dress because it makes her look beautiful so your not wrong there:). I personally like hats too, but whats this thing with shades above hats all of a sudden. i dont mind wearing slightly outdated clothes as long as they a comfortable why bother buying the latest stuff.
@stary1 (6622)
Adoniah... Thank you and Good point that hats may be cool now for some because the old fashioned ones aren't worn so much. Bryanx... I don't think clothes need to be loose fitting as long as they are not tight..
@Adoniah (7515)
I did not say that they had to be loose fitting...Rather that they should actually FIT the wearer not their younger siblings. True Class is knowing how to dress and then knowing how to carry it off no matter what your age or income level.
• Southend-On-Sea, England
In the UK, bus queues seem to have all but vanished and people just crowd haphazardly around bus stops whilst waiting. Another thing I'm sad to see disappear is the word "please". For instance, these days, if somebody wants to get past you they will just say "excuse me" instead of "excuse me please". The former of those two now seems to be the accepted form of politeness, but I personally feel the addition of the word "please" is much nicer.
@stary1 (6622)
I agree with you and now there are even many who don't bother saying excuse me..they just push :(
@inedible (771)
Naked sporting events, as practised by the Greeks. It's a tradition that has already faded away, but I feel it should brought back. It would make many sports far more interesting, in my opinion.
@stary1 (6622)
LOL well you certainly have an interesting suggestion!
@sender621 (14956)
Formal wear does not seem, to be as popular as it used to be, Wearing theser types of clothing would be a tradition that i would miss and would not want to see gone from existence just because it was not the fashionale thing to wear at the time.
@stary1 (6622)
Formal wear has it's place in my opinion. I like seeing people all dressed up. Watching the Royals wedding, it was fun to see all the outfits.