I have to tackle the garden a bit at a time.

I went out earlier this afternoon to try to clean up the garden and get it ready for planting. I dug out a few thistles, they were massive, and found it tiring to do that. There's so much more to do, and the soil is like clay, hard to turn, and that's going to make life difficult. I'm hoping to be able to have the garden ready by the end of the month, but it's going to take a lot of work to do so.
Oh yes it is so much work, I remember how much work I had to invest each Spring to get my Garden ready. Take it one area at a time and do not over exert. The end results will be so much fun later. Enjoy!
By next year you may be gardening in Arkansas. That area always seemed to have really fertile soil. My grandparents retired there, to a farm and also bought a cabin on Buena Vista Lake.
Wow and you are right with the four acres she has I am sure I will really busy. lol
My biggest issues are the thistles and the mint. The mint is running wild in the garden, and the roots are horrible. Not to mention that there seems to be a lot of rocks in there. I'm going to get my husband to help me on the weekend if the weather holds up.
I certainly hear you on that one. I have some things in containers. I want to make some permanent plantings of various berries. I keep reminding myself that gardening is an excellent exercise, and that I love the things I pick from my garden. I really love fresh tomatoes.
In my old garden I remember growing broccoli and cauliflower, along with tomatoes. Yum! It is so much fun to watch them grow by the day.
I have some ornamental gardens, they actually are doing better than my veggie garden. I have seen it recommended to put the mint in pots and bury them, to keep it from traveling. I like to use old enameled cookpots that maybe have rusted out. Looks cute. You are going to have huge amounts of things.
@cher913 (25890)
it is easy to overdo on woek outside. you are smart to start slow. it was nice here on sat and i started to get rid of last years debris but the ground is still to wet to do too much.
It was muddy today, it had rained this morning. I guess I should have waited, but I was getting tired of looking at the giant thistles in the garden.
@sender621 (14956)
If you try to get your garden land all ready at ne time it can be quie a chorew. i agree with doing it a little bit at a time. there is more enjoyment for what is intended that way.
@asliah (11148)
hi, yes, you're right its hard to turn good a garden and plant due to the soil turned to clay.
It is true that it is a hard work. That´s why I decided to spend some money and made raised beds. As noone tramples over them, the earthis always loose. It is not so with the normal soil. I am getting some of it ready and it sure is work. But last Summer I ate the best tomatos I had eaten since I was a child. The supermarket bought tomatos do not get ripe in the plant and they don´t have any flavour at all. I didn´t lose any of them. I picked that last ones, small and with a thick skin, and I made tomato paste for spaguettis.
I´m working at my raised beds to see if I can get some produce on Autumn and Winter and as a side benefit do some exercise. But it sure is tiring when you are not acostument to it. I weed some, come back to thhe computer; rake leaves, computer again.
hi kris why not beg borrow or steal,kidding there, a rototiller once you get the rocks out then if you have compost dig that in. a rototiller saves a lot of digging. WE had one when we had our own home but when my hubby went out of gardening business he sold all the things like the rototiller.There are some marvelous products to make soil looser for special plants like fuchias and azaleas and shade loving plants. I'nusg not having a garden. I livein a retirement center.
@peavey (16876)
Getting things ready to garden in the spring can be quite a chore! I have my daughter's help and we're still doing just a little bit at a time. I go out every day for a few minutes but it takes a lot of strength and energy to do some of it.